Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but an arrogant Roddick who ran around court yelling "This is my house..." was a better player and I miss him.

Maybe Roddick (like some other players) needs to be arrogant and in your face to get his groove back. Being a pigeon is not his personality, which reflects in his game.

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
And a decent volley

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Andy needs to learn how and when to volley, as he tends to come to net on poor approach shots. He needs a new coach for sure!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
thrust said:
Andy needs to learn how and when to volley, as he tends to come to net on poor approach shots. He needs a new coach for sure!
And he needs skills to do these damn approach shots ! That's what makes Roger so powerful at the moment when he attacks... but with the lethal weapons you have in front, well settled on their baseline, you need to be a hell of a player to do that. Look at Dent and Henman struggling with their game while they are practicing serve & volley since they are kids...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Roddick's backhand has improved in the last year or so but his game has worsened. It doesn't make sense. :scratch: And his inability to break serve continues to be alarming! :eek: I guess TC was right about Roddick's game slipping as time went by.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Maybe it's the arrogance that's killing him now. If he hadn't been built up the way he was by the need for another great American player maybe he would have been allowed to develop his game step by step instead of shoving him in everyone's face.

Arrogance doesn't get you very far, but a solid game certainly will.

·
Banned
137 Posts
roddick is not arrogant....he has e great sense of humor and a nice ass
of course it's his house...it's the US open....in america...so yes it is his house....

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
he need something else than his service...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Rosa Luxembourg said:
but an arrogant Roddick who ran around court yelling "This is my house..." was a better player and I miss him.

Maybe Roddick (like some other players) needs to be arrogant and in your face to get his groove back. Being a pigeon is not his personality, which reflects in his game.
From the sound of the commentary, he needs a good coach like J McEnroe. It seemed like JMac was able to pin point all the things Roddick was doing wrong pretty well. Maybe his coach Goldstein is too laid back.

That said, the bottom line is that Muller is a truly talented player that could give anyone trouble. The fact that he's 6'5" and moves in such an easy flexible manner is amazing. This loss will look bad for Roddick and hurt his ranking but the truth is there are many guys less able than Roddick who are making their way through to the 2nd round by virtue of getting an easy first round. Muller was someone Roddick shouldn't have met until a QF. It's really odd that he drew Muller 1st round.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Rosa Luxembourg said:
By the way, I also hated when he did stuff like that in the past. I have to think some people behind the scenes whether it be their sports agencies or coaches have been telling players to act that obnoxious way. Maybe they think that builds them an aura of invicibility?

One other thing.....remember that as good as Muller was playing, Roddick did take him to 3 tiebreaks. Muller outplayed Roddick, but Roddick did put up as good of a fight as he could. It will be interesting to see how Muller's next round goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts