Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He could have won more than 14 slams definitely had he hang on tour for 3 more years...

For example... in this video he is schooling Roddick...

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
yeah ... no. He caught fire at that US Open but was not doing anything worth noting in other tournaments. Heck, he was losing early at Wimbledon

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ... no. He caught fire at that US Open but was not doing anything worth noting in other tournaments. Heck, he was losing early at Wimbledon
I believe he could have won 2-3 slams more if he remained playing until 2005/2006 like agassi did..

·
Premium Member
8,396 Posts
Federer vs Sampras wimbledon final would have been nice. Unfortunately he just didn't have any motivation during his final years hence why he retired so early.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe not.
Otherwise he would have been tied at 17 with Federer.. or maybe even have 1 slam over Fed.. considering he could have won WImbledon in 2003 or 2004...

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I believe he could have won 2-3 slams more if he remained playing until 2005/2006 like agassi did..
Belief means jack. Some people also believe the earth is flat. Take a look at the stats and what happened since he retired. He would NOT have won 2 or 3 slams. He would not have won even 1 more slam.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Sampras was on the serious decline. Losing early he put all his effort into the US the was never going to win another slam after that one with Federer coming in.

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
Otherwise he would have been tied at 17 with Federer.. or maybe even have 1 slam over Fed.. considering he could have won WImbledon in 2003 or 2004...
He couldn't beat Federer in 2001 but you think he could have in 2003 or 2004? No way. Only chance in 2003 would have been USO. No chance in 2004.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Sampras was on the serious decline. Losing early he put all his effort into the US the was never going to win another slam after that one with Federer coming in.
If he had Agassi's AO 2003 draw though...

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Sampras went out on top. He wanted to go out on top. Sure, he didn't go out as #1 but he went out with a slam. Hard to beat that. Not every player gets that chance. Only GSP, Mayweather, and athletes like that have the chance to go out as champ

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
Sampras went out on top. He wanted to go out on top. Sure, he didn't go out as #1 but he went out with a slam. Hard to beat that. Not every player gets that chance. Only GSP, Mayweather, and athletes like that have the chance to go out as champ
Who's GSP?

Mayweather is not the only boxer, btw. A lot of them won their last match. Much easier than winning your last tournament, since a boxing match only have two likely outcomes.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Who's GSP?

Mayweather is not the only boxer, btw. A lot of them won their last match. Much easier than winning your last tournament, since a boxing match only have two likely outcomes.
Well, Mayweather is undefeated. GSP was the UFC champ who retired after his last win... It's just too hard for athletes to figure out when to stop. Obviously, in boxing, it's worse. But even in tennis ...

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
Well, Mayweather is undefeated. GSP was the UFC champ who retired after his last win... It's just too hard for athletes to figure out when to stop. Obviously, in boxing, it's worse. But even in tennis ...
It's not that hard. The whole concept of retiring on top is ridiculously overrated. The best time to retire is when you feel it's time to do something else.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
He didn't retire too early in my opinion...was the right time for him to go...maybe he should have given a go at RG for another year or two...that's it.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
It's not that hard. The whole concept of retiring on top is ridiculously overrated. The best time to retire is when you feel it's time to do something else.
But most of us are not professional athletes here. We don't have the mentality. I also disagree with not going out on top. We you achieve greatness, you don't want to go out as a broken man. I think Garry Kasparov went out on top. He was #1 in the world, right? He could have played like Anand for years ... he might have won the world championship again.... who knows. But it's hard. Some of these guys don't know what else to do.

I think for us is easy to say they should do this or that. But most of us don't have what it takes to be a professional athlete or player at the highest level.

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
He didn't retire too early in my opinion...was the right time for him to go...maybe he should have given a go at RG for another year or two...that's it.
That would have been R1 losses, or possibly R2 with a very favourable draw. If he was to continue he'd have done better forgoing clay altogether and aiming for the fast courts.

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
But most of us are not professional athletes here. We don't have the mentality. I also disagree with not going out on top. We you achieve greatness, you don't want to go out as a broken man. I think Garry Kasparov went out on top. He was #1 in the world, right? He could have played like Anand for years ... he might have won the world championship again.... who knows. But it's hard. Some of these guys don't know what else to do.

I think for us is easy to say they should do this or that. But most of us don't have what it takes to be a professional athlete or player at the highest level.
Kasparov retired still as the highest rated player, yes. That does not mean I think chessplayers to retire furter down the list, like Karpov or Spassky, did so as broken men. They enjoyed competitive chess for longer, and why shouldn't they?

For my favourites I always hope they stay active as long as possible, knowing for a fact noone can take away what they have already accomplished. A career is the total sum of success, not when you got it. Sampras' career would be equally good if we exchanged 2002 results for 2001 and let the titleless season be his last.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts