Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need it. I want more of their greatest encounters but I am pretty sure that this is history now.

Their matches brought me life. And Djokovic winning many of them gave me joy or the one I supported in their encounters which is Nadal.

Federer has a major injury. Djokovic and Nadal do not play everything anymore and when one is peaking the other guy is not... And lately we had straight forward outcomes on clay or hard... At least grass delivered in 2018 and 2019. Legendary matches.

Thiem and Medvedev were pretty much the only guys who I would like to watch from the younger ones. They showed really good tennis and competitiveness / clutch.
And sadly there is still not the inhuman skill and endurance we have seen in the Big Three. Honestly I am not really into Big serving guys with a hard hitting game. It is a bit boring if you ask me. I want the 1.80 - 1.90 m. (5.11' - 6.3') guys at their peak. It does not look that weird on the court as for their taller rivals. I need my Ferrer, my RBA, my Ferrero, Agassi, Sampras and so on.

I am very much concerned for the future tennis. Wouldnt be very weak and sad if the Big Three have to retire due to their fathertime, mental health problems, injuries but not for the much improved younger generation ? Eventually they will prevail but will they beat the Big Three guys regularly on the big stage enough times before they say goodbye ? I doubt it. Thiem did okay so far. At least he showed it.

But it cant be just Thiem. Please. What is with the rest ? I could not see a single guy that could give me what the Big Three gave. Feel free to convince me otherwise. I know my statement is controversial or will make many users here to vomit in front of me because they are tired of this shit and want the old guys to finally retire.
But I want more of them/it. Or lets say a very good substitute for grandpa. Thiem is not enough. Will the biggest names satisfy ? Post-Sampras showed that there were few guys but only one big name prevailing long-term and dominating. So I expect a set of different champions. Not a clear dominance.

I know. This was nothing really new or interesting I wrote. But yet I still decided to let my appreciation and concerns = opinion out. Feel free to roast me or my degenerate mind.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Medvedev’s game is quite an eyesore & he sort of lucked out at last USO when he avoided esp. Novak & Fed too due to their lingering injuries sustained after their intense marathon WB final. I can see Tsitsi emerging w/ better guidance from someone outside his father & same applies for Zverev. I like FAA & Sinner ego wise & just needing a bit more experience on tour.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If Kyrgios is actually the voice of reason of the new generation, we all know we are fucked. So better prepare to turn away from the sport, especially if nutcase Djokovic should somehow get the Slam record.

I recommend to focus on Cheese-Rolling, but I'm open for other suggestions.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Are you ready for the COVID-19 pandemic? Is the world ready for it? Tennis or no tennis, life goes on, my friend, even when shit hits the fan.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
it is because you are young, 19/20 yo probably. You missed the most, even with the yt vids, you will never feel full. It is just unlucky you were seven, eights year old when Rafa dethroned Federer in London or Novak shocked the world in Melbourne.

We feel full, and can't wait the new era to start!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I thought the golden era ended up in 2007.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
If Kyrgios is actually the voice of reason of the new generation, we all know we are fucked. So better prepare to turn away from the sport, especially if nutcase Djokovic should somehow get the Slam record.

I recommend to focus on Cheese-Rolling, but I'm open for other suggestions.

View attachment 355746
Keep the comedy rolling in STG, we need any antidotes for covid era.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I’ve been getting ready for the changing of the guard by watching videos of people choking on their food.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The golden era’s been long gone. It’s not just the big 3 that make it what it is. It was the big 3 in their primes or at least close to their primes with strong top 10 players that could take the big 3 out on their day e.g. Wawrinka and Del Potro. Now we have well past prime big 3 and they still clap everyone as if they are still in their primes. If someone like Zverev is a top 10 player, we are in no golden era.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it is because you are young, 19/20 yo probably. You missed the most, even with the yt vids, you will never feel full. It is just unlucky you were seven, eights year old when Rafa dethroned Federer in London or Novak shocked the world in Melbourne.

We feel full, and can't wait the new era to start!
Well I closed them in my memory because I actively followed this era like no era before. But believe me this is not the real reason. This era was special. The upcoming guys can not fill the gap. So far none of them convinced me in the same way.
Of course I enjoyed Medvedev, Thiem and Tsitsipas encounters for example. But usually it was with a Big Three member involved. It is so much more fun and entertaining.
But I accept it of course that I have to face a new era which has to be different. I have to adapt or I will leave the viewer's circuit.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Calling 2017-2019 a golden era lol. Bro get some perspective

·
|
15,331 Posts
At this year's Australian Open, Thiem vs. Rafa was a far higher quality match than Thiem vs. Djokovic.
But, Thiem and Rafa are both decent people (even though Thiem shoots himself in the foot sometimes), whereas Djokovic is disgusting, so I can see why there is less hype surrounding the Thiem-Rafa match-up.
People like Good vs. Evil.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big 3 lol, don’t you guys get bored three grandpas winning all
Thats my point. I still love these grandpas. Sorry to disappoint you and as I wrote. I knew that many will hate to read that.

Could not find a proper substitute for them.The younger names are still below that and I doubt they will give me the same in the future.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At this year's Australian Open, Thiem vs. Rafa was a far higher quality match than Thiem vs. Djokovic.
But, Thiem and Rafa are both decent people (even though Thiem shoots himself in the foot sometimes), whereas Djokovic is disgusting, so I can see why there is less hype surrounding the Thiem-Rafa match-up.
People like Good vs. Evil.
Exactly. Djokovic is a blessing.

Reactions: Phillo
1 - 20 of 22 Posts