Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 15.6" laptop, which is at least an Intel i5 or AMD A8 processor...

at least 4GB RAM, at least 500GB Hard drive between £300-£500? I would like the touch pad/ trackpad to be not too sensitive but fully comfortable and easy to use, the keyboard to be fully responsive and the speakers to deliver the right sound (speakers not placed underneath the laptop for example.)

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts
Re: I am looking for a 15.6" laptop, which is at least an Intel i5 or AMD A8 processo

Go for Intel by all means, and post your short list, it's no use recommending here models that you can't find in shops near you, since laptops are very region-specific

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Re: I am looking for a 15.6" laptop, which is at least an Intel i5 or AMD A8 processo

you have plenty means to do such a research, i have no idea how you figured MTF would be the place to go..

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts

If you are smart enough, go for AMD. Intel is just selling 22 nm , nothing more.
Slow, hot and not very easy on the battery. I used to be a big fan of AMD, but they are no match anymore :)

you have plenty means to do such a research, i have no idea how you figured MTF would be the place to go..
It's as good as any place out there

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

Guy is on the budget , and there is no Intel processor better then AMD for same price (same category) . Better to use that extra money for something else.

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts

Guy is on the budget , and there is no Intel processor better then AMD for same price (same category) . Better to use that extra money for something else.
Well, CPU is pretty much the most important thing on a laptop, you can (in most cases) add more memory, add bigger or another drive, connect external monitor, but if you choose weak CPU you're stuck with it.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

Well, CPU is pretty much the most important thing on a laptop, you can (in most cases) add more memory, add bigger or another drive, connect external monitor, but if you choose weak CPU you're stuck with it.
Well he could go to some pro PC forum instead here. I know few things about stuff, and my friend is pretty badass pro. I would still choose new AMD processor then some lower Intel dual core that is already pass its prime. And for 300-500 quids I can't think of one Intel that can beat up AMD for same amount of money. Intel is better , sure. But cost a lot, and better only if you want high end processors . Mid to low range AMD flatout beats any Intel.

Im buying my new pc this week too. And Im gonna get this baby.
http://www.winwin.rs/racunari-i-komponente/racunarske-komponente/procesori/procesor-cpu-am3-amd-fx-8350-4-0ghz-box-black-edition-32nm-1161441.html

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

I agree with Vukie. No need to obsess over specs for a little mickey mouse device like a laptop. Real men who encode video, edit photos, and max out the cpu for long hours pimp out their big desktops. I have a little lappie meself but the heavy lifting is done by me desktop! Whatever you do, don't get a useless ipad like a rookie...good luck.

3,728 Posts

Put in some extra and get a retina MacBook Pro

Reconditioned you c get one for under a grand

They don't clog up and slow down after a month like windows

They don't get viruses every time u go online

You don't need a computer science degree just to keep it running upto speed

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Slow, hot and not very easy on the battery. I used to be a big fan of AMD, but they are no match anymore :)
This, so much this. I liked AMD before, but I understood how shitty it was specially compared to Intel.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

Yeah, I remember the days when the AMD1800+ was the shiznit! My intel bros were green with envy.

Look! there's a mac guy in the thread :haha: :eek:

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts

They don't clog up and slow down after a month like windows

They don't get viruses every time u go online

You don't need a computer science degree just to keep it running upto speed
All incorrect :) But I guess paying double the money just to get the same thing must require some excuse :p If he doesn't like Windows he can always get a Linux distro for free

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

It's always better to specify what you actually plan to do with the machine (e.g., general office and browsing/email, or gaming, or video editing, compiling or whatever).

That way people can make a more informed judgment.

Also, it can help to consider your attitude to second-hand machines, and evaluate what you can pick up on well-known auction sites or classified ad sections of user forums (e.g. avforums.com).

Historically, I have tended to buy second-hand Thinkpads (IBM/Lenovo) because they are highly maintainable if you are able to use a screwdriver and follow instructions. On the other hand, because of this, they can be more expensive in the second-hand market. Also, they are not necessarily the best option as gaming machines.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

My first computer:

cpu: 386-33mhz
210 MB HD (not a typo..MB)
14" crt monitor
windows 3.1
2 MB RAM (again, not a typo)
5.25 floppy disk :lol: (don't bend it!)
cd-rom
made in USA Model M IBM clicky keyboard...still use it today!

How about you?

3,728 Posts

All incorrect :) But I guess paying double the money just to get the same thing must require some excuse :p If he doesn't like Windows he can always get a Linux distro for free
Had and tried Ubuntu

Again, much better stability compared to windows but almost useless unless you are VERY computer savvy

Yes Linux doesn't get viruses but Linux doesn't get much of anything

Windows has a known issue called rust

The o.s is designed to slow down after a few months no matter how well you maintain it

Fucking defragmenting
Running cleaner to clear registries
Antivirus software

Adjusting start up programs that slow shit down

Tweaking and adjusting and fixing shit that keeps breaking because windows just won't play nice

Half my shit from Xp won't run

I tried do Xpcompatibility mode but that's broke as fuck

Tldr get a mac, pay more now and save so much mental pain later

Unless you are gamer there is no reason to own a pc over a mac

If money is an issues, google something called hackintosh

You can hack Mac OS X into a windows pc anyway

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts

Simply get an ssd and there's no defrag, slowing down and all those things, I only use hdd for data storage now. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts