Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is your pick?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you were offered a bet at this moment, and you would be awarded 1,000 US dollars if the slamless player you pick wins a grand slam title at some point in his career. Who is your pick, and what is the maximum amount of money you would be willing to pay for this bet? For example, I might pick Thiem and would be willing to pay up to 400 dollars, since even though I rate his chances over 50%, I'm not really a betting sort of guy and would rather be safe.

I think it's a fun question to think about, as some might prefer older players who are already established but also have failed many times at slams, while some may prefer younger players who have shown great potential and have time on their side but are less predictable. It'll also be fun to look back on 10 years later, and see if we overrated or underrated chances with the money we are willing to pay.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Thiem has the best chance to win first (AO, RG, or USO), but Medvedev, Tsitsipas, or Zverev may win earlier than Thiem.

You never know what may happen in sport. Zverev won a Masters 1000 much earlier than Thiem and Tsitsipas won ATP Finals without winning a Masters 1000 or an ATP 500 event.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1000 dollars that unfortunately Tsitsipas will win to become the 2nd ever Greek GS winner after Sampras.
To clarify, I meant that you would get 1000 and not get what you have paid if you're right, do you mean 500 in that case?

·
Registered
502 Posts
To win a slam ever, I would say Thiem. The moment Nadal retires, he should be the favourite for RG.

Out of these players to win the first slam, I think Zverev.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
To win a slam ever, I would say Thiem. The moment Nadal retires, he should be the favourite for RG.

Out of these players to win the first slam, I think Zverev.
Still unconvinced Zverev can do it, especially not first. We should wait until he reaches another SF, because the usual for him has been to flop in round 3 or so.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Tsitispas.
Yes, Thiem is the favourite to win RG once Nadal doesn't, but he is already 26 years old.
I am not betting in general, but I think a 1:1 bet for Tsitsipas winning at least one slam would be very good deal.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think Tsitsipas is almost guaranteed to win a slam at some point. He's not that far off and has time on his side. He's a champion too, probably the biggest will to win from the younger generation.

Think its highly likely that Thiem will win RG within the next two years, plus he has a chance at AO and USO too.

I also think Zverev will win one at some point, he's too good not to.

The others are too early to say, except for Medvedev. I am 50/50 as to if he will. His form has dropped and not sure if he'll ever win a slam.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
at RG - Thiem,at WB - mb Zverev(if finds his serve),at USO - Thiem and Meddy ofc

·
justice for all
18,883 Posts
All of them will have chances to win slams in the future. At this stage probably Dominic is the best bet because he was the closest (3 slam finals).

The other question could be: who will win most slams out of the listed players? My bet would be Sinner then.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
1 Dominic is the most complete player out of all of the above, so he will a slam for sure.

2 Meddy has to work on his serve and his netgame, then he will get there also.

3 Stefanos has the champ mentality but i think his ROS and BH are still huge liabilities so i have him in 3rd place

Sinner when he develops physically, looks scary good also. Shapo is a huge talent but such a wild player that i don't have the confidence that he can bring the goods in 7 consecutive matches yet.

·
justice for all
18,883 Posts
People used to say that about Dimitrov too. And look where he is now.
Yeah, right. The future's unknown so one can be certain of anything really. Having said that for me Tsitsipas looks like a better bet than Dimitrov once was. Sure it's easy to say it now when Diva is almost done but for me Tsitsipas has just higher tennis IQ. He has one glaring weakness - his ROS - until he improves it considerably he won't win a slam - that's my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts