Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hypothesis is based on the common knowledge that Djokovic takes care of his body religiously ever since 2010 when it was diagnosed that he has gluten intolerance (allergy).
He doesn't eat chocolate, he doesn't drink alcohol (only drinks 18 degree Celsius water), doesn't eat red meat etc, etc.
He cried for a few days after he was "forced" to get elbow surgery in 2017. Of course he came back better than ever and won a ton of slams.

Djokovic has stated numerous times that he wants to be a force on the tour until he's 40. That means he needs to take care of his body and prevent any unnecessary injuries.

My hypothesis: Based on the above, I believe that Djokovic will skip the 2022 AO in order to prevent any potential side effects that a forced vaccination might bring.

Thoughts from the community?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
He’d be an idiot to skip the AO since other slams will most likely follow suit and he’d be forced to retire. Not to mention he’d be giving his haters and Fedal a huge present that they’ll cherish forever. He’d be playing right into their hands and would have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Nah. He’s not dumb. He’s been making the haters cry his whole career. That won’t stop now that he’s about to leave them all in the dust.

Also, there’s a very good chance he’s vaccinated as he’s been in events where one must submit a proof of vaccination to enter, like the concert in Central Park. He just hasn’t advertised it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Also: can you imagine how it’d look on the PTPA if he’s the lone holdout from the relevant players and the head of the PTPA wasn’t able to get anyone to join him or boycott? It’d weaken them severely and show a lack of unity. And by all accounts, all the other relevant players will comply with the rules and go.

He’d also likely lose sponsors if he skips slams due to a refusal to reveal his vaccination status.

He’s not stupid. He will be at AO 100%.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He’d be an idiot to skip the AO since other slams will most likely follow suit and he’d be forced to retire. Not to mention he’d be giving his haters and Fedal a huge present that they’ll cherish forever. He’d be playing right into their hands and would have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Nah. He’s not dumb. He’s been making the haters cry his whole career. That won’t stop now that he’s about to leave them all in the dust.

Also, there’s a very good chance he’s vaccinated as he’s been in events where one must submit a proof of vaccination to enter, like the concert in Central Park. He just hasn’t advertised it.
I agree with you but you are also making a LOT of assumptions here.

I'm only stating the fact that Djokovic is KNOWN to worship his own body and will not bring himself to take something that he doesn't "believe" in. This is not limited to "vaccines" as I've stated above.

You assume that ALL slams will bring in this rule. Again, we don't know this and I won't speculate. It's a possibility yes but not a fact at this point. We only know AO is doing it....for now.

I know Djokovic wants to prolong his career on the top as long as possible. Skipping one tournament in the grand scheme of things won't hurt his chances at making the haters cry some more in the future.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I agree with you but you are also making a LOT of assumptions here.

I'm only stating the fact that Djokovic is KNOWN to worship his own body and will not bring himself to take something that he doesn't "believe" in. This is not limited to "vaccines" as I've stated above.

You assume that ALL slams will bring in this rule. Again, we don't know this and I won't speculate. It's a possibility yes but not a fact at this point. We only know AO is doing it....for now.

I know Djokovic wants to prolong his career on the top as long as possible. Skipping one tournament in the grand scheme of things won't hurt his chances at making the haters cry some more in the future.
There’s already been talk of the USO doing it. Do you think Wimbledon wouldn’t either? They’d LOVE a chance to screw him over.

Keep in mind that even if they did enforce a vaccine mandate, they’d know that every relevant player would still go and they wouldn’t have an incomplete field since most players are vaccinated or will be soon enough. The only one it’d hurt is Novak (if he chooses not to reveal his vaccination status).

·
Your visions will happen
54,758 Posts
I think he's already vaxed and is just trolling the haters

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There’s already been talk of the USO doing it. Do you think Wimbledon wouldn’t either? They’d LOVE a chance to screw him over.

Keep in mind that even if they did enforce a vaccine mandate, they’d know that every relevant player would still go and they wouldn’t have an incomplete field since most players are vaccinated or will be soon enough. The only one it’d hurt is Novak (if he chooses not to reveal his vaccination status).

It's possible. Not yet in force. Things change so quickly during this pandemic that it's hard to predict.
When Djokovic was asked about his participation in the AO after it was known that everyone needs to be vaccinated he responded with "We'll see".

Hmmmmm. Is he playing a game of chicken or waiting to see if they allow exemptions of some sort.

We will know by December 6th but the suspense is KILLING me. Either way; I don't think he will participate if he is forced to vaccinate.

Regarding his sponsors: Yes, they may not like it but I doubt there is a clause in the contracts that states he must participate in every tournament if he's not injured. He certainly hasn't participated in everything this year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he's already vaxed and is just trolling the haters

Johnny I follow your youtube videos and love your commentary on all things Tennis. You are from the USA and your views might be different than someone from the Balkans.
I'm from there and once we dig our heels into something.....hard to convince us otherwise. I don't doubt Djokovic is the same.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I give a 5% chance he'll play AO.
It's actually good move, as he is bound to lose here.
And with all mental mileage from 2021 he'll be there for the taking.
He needs some rest/pause to regroup.
Skipping it will be a better decision than playing and losing to Zverev/Med once again.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
It's possible. Not yet in force. Things change so quickly during this pandemic that it's hard to predict.
When Djokovic was asked about his participation in the AO after it was known that everyone needs to be vaccinated he responded with "We'll see".

Hmmmmm. Is he playing a game of chicken or waiting to see if they allow exemptions of some sort.

We will know by December 6th but the suspense is KILLING me. Either way; I don't think he will participate if he is forced to vaccinate.

Regarding his sponsors: Yes, they may not like it but I doubt there is a clause in the contracts that states he must participate in every tournament if he's not injured. He certainly hasn't participated in everything this year.
I think he’s vaccinated but is hesitant to reveal it to anyone. I think that’s the real issue. He should just go to AO and refuse to answer any questions about it. Let them make their own conclusions ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I could see your point if he was 100% guaranteed that AO would be the only tournament mandating vaccinations. Canada already has the same policy (not that he cares) but New York could easily be the next one to follow suit, or at least announce it and put pressure on other slams.

The easy answer for him would be to get a fake certificate (he could easily get this in Serbia).

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I could see your point if he was 100% guaranteed that AO would be the only tournament mandating vaccinations. Canada already has the same policy (not that he cares) but New York could easily be the next one to follow suit, or at least announce it and put pressure on other slams.

The easy answer for him would be to get a fake certificate (he could easily get this in Serbia).
They likely will. And it’s not like these slams would suffer with an incomplete field after doing so. If the vast majority of players are vaccinated or have a fake certificate, they can enforce a vaccine mandate and still get everyone or mostly everyone to come.

I really hope Novak thinks of the ramifications if he’s having doubts about going to AO. He could essentially be forced to retire.

But it won’t since he’s already vaccinated and will go ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

He would never stoop that low to get a fake certificate. I (and many other's) would lose all respect for him.

The issue about forced this or forced that mainly boils down to money in my opinion. Djokovic has plenty of money. This will be about principles at the end of the day and Djokovic standing firmly for his own.

Do I think he's vaccinated? Probably not. But if he is, I wouldn't want him to reveal it to anyone. Why would he?

I agree that New York, Paris etc etc could follow suit with mandates but they haven't yet. So I don't want to speculate on those tournaments. Let's just stick with AO as that's the only one that has implemented it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
How sure are you of this statement? I'm doubtful.
Because he was at a concert in NYC where everyone needed to present a proof of vaccination to enter. There’s also been other signs he’s been vaccinated. For instance, he didn’t have to quarantine at the Paris masters despite coming from an amber/red country (Serbia was on the list). Those who weren’t vaccinated had to stay at a specific player hotel. Those who are vaccinated didn’t have to. Djokovic was seen outside the controlled environment.

·
Registered
104 Posts
He would never stoop that low to get a fake certificate. I (and many other's) would lose all respect for him.

The issue about forced this or forced that mainly boils down to money in my opinion. Djokovic has plenty of money. This will be about principles at the end of the day and Djokovic standing firmly for his own.

Do I think he's vaccinated? Probably not. But if he is, I wouldn't want him to reveal it to anyone. Why would he?

I agree that New York, Paris etc etc could follow suit with mandates but they haven't yet. So I don't want to speculate on those tournaments. Let's just stick with AO as that's the only one that has implemented it.
But you wouldn't know that he ever got a fake vaccine. He would just be vaccinated like so many different people. Unless you are saying you would lose all respect for him if he actually did get the vaccine (in which case that's a completely separate issue). The main risk would be the doctor blackmailing him in the future but I'm sure he could find an antivaxxer doctor in Serbia that would take that secret to the grave.

The other factors are all things he has to consider when making his decision. He would look like a fool if he made a stand and then a few weeks after the AO, the rest of the slams made a commitment to also have a mandatory policy. Not only that but then he would risk the media backlash and sponsorship drops that could come with it. Look at Aaron Rodgers in football.

I just don't think he is going to be willing to risk becoming GOAT (Nadal could easily win 2 slams next year) over this.

Also nice name lol.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts