·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Yeh I noticed he made the final round.
Bad luck though, losing in 2 close sets. Still a great effort, hope he can make a good transition to the main tour.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Seems past time that Mr Chung had a thread devoted to him - currently third in the class of starring born in 1996ers (after Coric and Kokkinakis), but racing them up the pipe and currently at 122.

Having a very good year so far, currently 12-3 for the year in challengers.

Has pretty much stuck to the Asian/Oceania futures/challenger circuit to date, but made it third round of AO qualifying this year, and 2nd round for USO last year.

Has a wild card for Miami, so will be interesting to see how he fares on big stage if he gets a decent draw....

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Some recent media.

On recent DC round (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2015-03-09/eight_talking_points_from_davis_cup.html):

One to watch: While Kokkinakis was making noise in the World Group, there was another talented 18-year-old progressing under the radar in Asia/Oceania Zone Group I. Hyeon Chung didn’t drop a set as Korea Republic saw off Thailand 3-2 to set up a second round clash with Uzbekistan. Chung has climbed almost 50 places to world No.122 since the start of the year, reaching the final round of qualifying at the Australian Open and winning a maiden Challenger title in Burnie last month. Remember his name.
Miami wildcards (http://www.stevegtennis.com/2015/03/miami-open-2015-provides-opportunity-for-junior-stars-to-emerge/)
At 18, Korea’s Hyeon Chung will make his debut in the main draw. Chung has taken advantage of Challenger events in Asia and Australia to move into the top 130. In February, he made consecutive finals in Burnie and Launceston winning the former before losing in three sets in Launceston to Bjorn Fratangelo.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Hope he can do well in Miami but he hasn't been doing well enough against top players, Yet to have a top 100 win. If any thing he hasn't had much of a chance to do so when playing Asian/Pacific challengers. Playing Miami is a wise decision and I hope he will play more ATP events.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Hope he can do well in Miami but he hasn't been doing well enough against top players, Yet to have a top 100 win. If any thing he hasn't had much of a chance to do so when playing Asian/Pacific challengers. Playing Miami is a wise decision and I hope he will play more ATP events.
It seems more lack of opportunity then that he can't win - simply hasn't tested himself at tour level much yet. So agree it is good to see him taking this sort of opportunity. Given where he is now rankings-wise, time to play a few qualies rounds...

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

Great performance at Miami, gaining his first top 100 win (Granollers) and a credible performance against Berdych. Now at 117 in the liverankings. Some of the media coverage.

ATP writeup (http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/03/12/Miami-Wednesday-Chung-Win.aspx)

It’s time to add another teen to the growing list of ATP World Tour “Young Guns”.

18-year-old Hyeon Chung won his first tour-level match Wednesday at the Miami Open presented by Itaú when he defeated Marcel Granollers 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 in two hours and 13 minutes.

“I haven’t played a lot of high-level ATP [World] Tour matches,” Chung said, speaking to ATPWorldTour.com through a translator. “It was tough - the weather, conditions and playing against a high-ranked player - everything was tough.

"But I was motivated. If I win this match, I’ll get an even better opportunity to play a better player.”...

T
“There’s a big time difference between Korea, so I got here a week early,” said Chung, who named Novak Djokovic as his tennis idol. “ combined that with practise and physical training as well, and [I was] glad to have the opportunity to practise with top-ranked players.”

Chung practised with Simone Bolelli and Denis Istomin ahead of the tournament, and said he’s friendly with most of the other young players on the tour, but is trying to improve his English.

The Korean teen, who wears glasses during his matches due to a developmental eye disease, said his biggest goal for the year is to win a match at the Grand Slam level. But in the meantime, the frequent ATP Challenger Tour player is soaking up the "more exciting" atmosphere at a Masters 1000.

“There’s a huge energy from the players,” he said. “There’s positive energy and everyone’s eager to win. Another big difference is the fans - you have a huge crowd, fun fans.”.."

Korea Times:

Chung Hyeon, former Wimbledon Junior finalist and current world No. 121, notched his first ATP World Tour-level victory at the Miami Open Wednesday to set up a second-round match with No. 8 seed Tomas Berdych from the Czech Republic.

The 18-year-old defeated world No. 50 Marcel Granollers of Spain 2-1 (6-0, 4-6, 6-4) to become the first Korean to win at the tour level since retired Lee Hyung-taik did so seven years ago. Lee advanced to the second round at the 2008 AIG Japan Open before succumbing to Rainer Schuttler of Germany...

Granollers was not an easy opponent ― the 28-year-old Spaniard had climbed to 12th in 2012 and fifth in August 2013. He has won four ATP singles tournaments.

But Chung, with a strong backhand, grabbed a 2-0 lead with an early break point, and then took the set. Granollers returned with more aggressive play in the second set to level the score, but Chung retaliated with strong strokes in the third to grab the victory in two hours and 13 minutes. In total, Chung collected 10 break points and broke his opponent's serve five times.

Chung's ranking has been rising fast this year..."
Tennis Now:http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2015/March/18-Year-Old-Chung-Records-First-Tour-Level-Win-in.aspx

·
Premium Member
25,126 Posts
EMIRATES ATP RANKINGS - STARS OF TOMORROW

Stars of Tomorrow: Hyeon Chung :cool:

by Blair Henley | 08.04.2015

Korea may not be known for its tennis heritage, but teenager Hyeon Chung is looking to change that, one big win at a time.

Hyeon Chung is the best player to emerge from Korea since Hyung-Taik Lee rose to a career-high Emirates ATP Ranking of No. 36 in 2007. While that might produce overwhelming pressure for your average teenager, 18-year-old Chung is content to focus on his tennis.

“I don’t feel any pressure like that,” he told ATPWorldTour.com via a translator. “In Korea, tennis is not that popular like it is here. Only someone who is interested in tennis knows, so it’s not something that bothers me.”

Even Chung’s father, a tennis coach, avoids talk of his son’s recent success.

“He is intentionally not talking about tennis,” Chung said. “He doesn’t want to give me any pressure. He just wants me to enjoy and play.”

Any contact with his family has been confined largely to phone conversations since the right-hander moved to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, at age 13. He came to the United States accompanied only by his older brother, who has since moved back to Korea.

The lack of familial support hasn’t hampered Chung, who has thrived over the past year, rising from an Emirates ATP Ranking of No. 379 to his current high of No. 118. Since the beginning of 2014, he has won ATP Challenger events in Burnie and Bangkok in addition to taking home Futures titles in South Korea and Thailand.

A sturdy 6-feet tall, Chung has developed a punishing groundstroke game, firing forehands and backhands with unique strokes that lend themselves to flat, laser-like power from the baseline. He’s also easy to spot, thanks to the prescription sports glasses he wears on the court. Though he can recognize people without his trademark goggles, effectively striking a tennis ball is a different story.

Chung put his growing confidence to the test at the Miami Open in March, where he qualified and won a round at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event before falling 6-3, 6-4 to World No. 8 Tomas Berdych.

“I was definitely under stress, but I was trying to do my best,” Chung said of his first encounter with a Top 10 player. “I felt a little bit like I was playing inside the TV, like I was on the outside looking in.”

Chung carried that momentum into his first tour-level clay-court tournament in Houston, where he became the youngest qualifier at the event since 15-year-old Ryan Harrison in 2008 and the sixth teenager to qualify for an ATP World Tour main draw match in 2015.

While the term “young gun” doesn’t translate in Korean, Chung’s giant grin indicates how excited he is to be included in an elite group of rising stars including Nick Kyrgios, Borna Coric, Thanasi Kokkinakis and more.

He tallied wins over both Kyrgios and Coric en route to becoming the first Korean to reach the Junior Wimbledon final in 2013 (l. to Quinzi), but he now looks to both players, ranked World No. 34 and 55, respectively, as an example of what he’s capable of on the ATP World Tour.

“I’ve learned many things from them,” Chung said. “They are doing very well with their ranking. I’m definitely keeping watch [on their progress].”

When Chung heads home for a visit to his native Suwon, he occasionally practises with 39-year-old Lee, whose success a decade ago helped pave the way for the next generation of Korean players. After spending more than 10 years playing professionally, he has simple advice for his young countryman.

“He told me that when I’m touring, you usually have a lot of stress,” explained Chung, who hopes to have his name inscribed on a Grand Slam trophy one day. “But the key is to try not to have that stress and just enjoy the experience.”​

:wavey:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Korean tennis player Chung Hyeon ranked No. 107 in the latest world men's tennis rankings released on Monday. It was up five places from last week.

On April 7, he qualified for the first time for an ATP World Tour main draw match at the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships in Houston, Texas. Since then, he has steadily climbed the rankings, and now sits just outside the world's top 100.

The last time that a Korean player cracked the top 100 was in August 2008, when Lee Hyung-taik ranked No. 98.
Source: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/04/21/2015042101698.html

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Chung into the QF's of the Savannah challenger with a win over Peralta which should put his ranking into the top 100 for the first time.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Nice article on meeting veteran Korean player Lee Hyung-taik (http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2015050195898):

Sorry for being late. There was a traffic jam on the way from Suwon.” (Chung Hyeon)
“It’s okay. It’s better for me to be waiting for you. Congratulations for breaking into world tennis top 100.” (Lee Hyung-taik)

Korea’s legendary tennis player Lee Hyung-taik, 39, welcomed up-and-coming player Chung Hyeon who was 10 minutes late for the meeting at the Seoul Olympic Court on Thursday. Lee, who arrived Korea early morning on that day after having participated in the Challenger Tour in China, made time to congratulate Chung for becoming the world No. 88.

Before the meeting, Chung went through a physical examination for draft at the Suwon Military Manpower Administration. “It’s been a long time since we last met. Chung seems to have grown further. It seems that you better grow physical strength. I’d recommend continuous weight training even during a competition period,” said the legend of Korean tennis history. Chung smiled and said, “I measured my height this morning. It was 186 cm, three centimeters taller than last year’s height.”..."
I believe he is exempt from the draft, but has to do four weeks basic training.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Now has qualifying wc for RG. :rolleyes:

But seems to be planning on continuing to play challengers in the main for the moment nonetheless. 'Ten things you need to know about Hyeon Chung: http://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/10-things-to-know-about-hyeon-chung

...there is one other rising star on the ATP who has been quietly working his way up the rankings and his name is Hyeon Chung.

1. Chung was born on May 19th, 1996 in South Korea.

2. Chung started to wear glasses at a very young age. The only reason he took up tennis was to help him maintain his eyesight. Today, the 18-year-old Chung wears prescription sports glasses which has become his trademark.

3. In 2008, he won the Boys under-12 title at the Eddie Herr International and Junior Orange Bowl.

4. IMG was quick to spot this immensely talented teenager. Chung joined the Nick Bollitieri Tennis Academy at IMG in Florida, along with his brother Chung Hong in 2009. Chung’s father is also a tennis coach and seldom speaks about his son’s success.

“He is intentionally not talking about tennis,” Chung said. “He doesn’t want to give me any pressure. He just wants me to enjoy and play.” Hope other tennis parents around the world take a lesson or two from Chung’s father.

5. He is the highest ranked male player from Korea since Hyung Taik-Lee who had reached a career high ranking of 36 in the year 2007. With the speed at which Chung is climbing the rankings, that day is not too far when he may end up being the highest ranked male player from South Korea. When Chung visits his native Suwon, he interacts with Hyung Taik-Lee and also practices with him occasionally.

6. In 2013, a month after winning his first Futures Title, Chung reached the Boy’s singles final at Wimbledon. He lost to Gianluigi Quinzi, a fellow IMG prodigy, but it would be interesting to note that he defeated both Kyrgios and Coric on his way to the finals.

7. Chung looked unstoppable in 2014 as he won 3 ITF Future titles and the Bangkok Challenger. These achievements helped him move up the rankings by almost 400 places. From being World No.541, Chung was ranked No.151 by end of 2014. The same year also saw him win a Doubles Gold at the 2014 Asian Games at Incheon.

8. According to analysts, his serve is one element of his game that needs a lot of improvement. It lacks the punch that a player of 183 cm is usually able to generate. His strength lies in his flashy forehand as he hits the ball hard off that wing backed up by great racquet head speed.

9. At the Miami Masters this March, Chung qualified and also managed to win one round at the ATP Masters 1000 Event before he fell to Tomas Berdych in straight sets. After his first encounter with a Top 10 player, Chung said “I was definitely under stress, but I was trying to do my best. I felt a little bit like I was playing inside the TV, like I was on the outside looking in.”

10. On 11th May 2015, Chung reached a career high singles ranking of 69. He intends to play more Challenger Events as he feels it is a great learning ground and will set him up nicely for the next level of competition. His nation is not tennis rich and Chung has taken the road less traveled. Given his commitment to the game, he will be able to put South Korea on the map over the next couple of years.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts