Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For nearly two decades, a small network based in Southern California called the Tennis Channel has attempted to become the hub of the sport in the United States. This month, it got one step closer, wrapping up a deal that will make it the television home of nearly every major men’s and women’s tennis event other than the Grand Slams.

Tennis Channel’s deal to control the rights to so many high-profile tournaments is a coup for the growing network, a unit of the Sinclair Broadcast Group. It is also a bet, and some would say a risky one, that shifting top tennis matches from the sports behemoth ESPN is good for the growth of tennis and a sign that the sport’s future in the United States may lie largely with its most loyal followers.

Tennis Channel is an extremely low budget channel whose online streaming services are still riddled with technical issues and on like a 2 minute delay. Even seeking a contract with Fox Sports would probably be a better way to go than going all-in on a channel many people don't get and no casual sports fan ever goes to.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If this is true a lot of excellent tv analysts and commentators will be out of work. Will really miss McEnroes, Evert, BG, Cahill, Pam, Mary Joe, Jason Goodall, doing TV commentating. ESPN has done a fine job televising tennis for decades - that is when they did not push politics and BLM BS.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
If this is true a lot of excellent tv analysts and commentators will be out of work. Will really miss McEnroes, Evert, BG, Cahill, Pam, Mary Joe, Jason Goodall, doing TV commentating. ESPN has done a fine job televising tennis for decades - that is when they did not push politics and BLM BS.
You said excellent.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Good riddance. Decades of Pat McEnroe, his annoying bro John, Pam Shriver, Cliff and Brad. LOLz Who wants their smarmy, manipulative mummy faces again? GOD FED FED FED. They had a new muppet to announce the propaganda about Djoker not being loved enough. STFU.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I just saw this news on Twitter...sad to see. At least ESPN will still have rights to three majors, but I will miss the additional air time. Here's hoping TC continues to improve...

I am not surprised by this though, as this has been the trend. Tennis on TV in the US has been continuously relegated to less-visible channels over the years. NBC is the only major network that carries any tennis matches anymore...and that is essentially only the French Open final.

·
justice for all
17,627 Posts
It's true. Really depressing for US tennis and tennis as a sport in general. Less media exposure will translate into fewer viewer, fewer sponsors, less money and lower tennis quality.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You still haven't gotten the memo that ESPN is no longer all that. The blow to U.S. tennis is the fact the USTA can't attract the most athletic, talented American boys, or their parents, to choose tennis. Venus and Serena did that for girls. You know the rest.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
In person events are packed to the brim . For example Indian Wells is busy as ever, with lines to go see outer court matches. This does not equate to people watching on T.V. , while watching Karlovic vs. Isner might be enticing in person, there is no reason to watch this on a Friday afternoon on ESPN 3.....

Real tennis fans will have to stick with UK Run Tennis TV.... or I think it is UK run.

Maybe if we get a Andy Roddick - Federer ,Djokovi, Nadal again, then ESPN would bring on tennis, but until then.... this was a pre determined outcome.

Reactions: Pedigree

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
In person events are packed to the brim . For example Indian Wells is busy as ever, with lines to go see outer court matches. This does not equate to people watching on T.V. , while watching Karlovic vs. Isner might be enticing in person, there is no reason to watch this on a Friday afternoon on ESPN 3.....

Real tennis fans will have to stick with UK Run Tennis TV.... or I think it is UK run.

Maybe if we get a Andy Roddick - Federer ,Djokovi, Nadal again, then ESPN would bring on tennis, but until then.... this was a pre determined outcome.
ESPN made a deliberate decision a few years ago to completely change their format and cater exclusively to BLM'ers and snowflakes. Now they are left with nothing except an NBA that nobody cares about. Good riddance.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Good. Tennis was an afterthought on ESPN. I think we need to accept that this is a niche sport and having more of it on a tennis-focused network will be a good thing.

It's also really not that big of a deal. ESPN will still have the three majors. The only other stuff they really showed was the later rounds of Indian Wells, Miami, Canada and Cincy. So you're talking something like 50 hours of coverage on an annual basis.

For those who don't want a cable package, YouTube TV has Tennis Channel (plus a bunch of other shit) and a very reasonable price point.

·
Registered
974 Posts
In the UK, as from a year ago the ATP Tour is no longer broadcast on any TV/cable channel. Other than Wimbledon and Roland Garros, every single Masters 1000s and Slam event is only watchable on Amazon Prime. I was already a Prime subscriber so it wasn't a huge issue for me, but this has killed the exposure of our sport especially to more casual viewers who are unlikely to pay for Amazon Prime just to watch tennis. Before, they might have watched a match or two if they were flicking through their TV channels and came across some tennis coverage, but now only hardcore fans who make the effort to buy Prime, intentionally open the app, and manually search for the tennis section will engage with the sport (Amazon UK barely even advertises it on their website). Again, I don't personally mind, but I think it's detrimental to the longterm audience and interest of the sport in the UK which is a shame - and it sounds like that's what this deal might do in the USA too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts