Mens Tennis Forums banner

How will federer's career end?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically if you would win 1 million dollars but you could only pick 1 option out of the 3:

I would pick the wins more than 1 slams and win my million bucks

Fed has a great shot for the next 8 slams which will take him to the end of being 31 years old by the 8th slam. I see no contenders past nole and rafa and I feel federer has adjusted to tsonga's serve well as to make it unlikely to ever be beaten at wimbledon again by tsonga . Based just on the probability nole/rafa are injured/decline further over the next 8 slams will get federer at the bare minimum 1 slam. Look how many slams nadal has missed/injured recently french 09, wim 09, ao 2010, ao 2011... Look nadal is getting older so logic says he will only get more injured based on how he can't really change his grinding game. Nole's health is coming into question as well he has also retired a lot even in slams i believe. So with this type of problem occurring to either nole or rafa where fed may have to beat neither or just 1 to get to or win the slam seems highly likely. Oh let's not forget about consistency. Nole and Rafa still have to keep gettting to the semi's and if they falter even more likely federer wins. Lets forget that federer has the game to beat both at a slam for a moment.

Just looking at the chances that over the next 8 slams nole/rafa will be not injured/withdrawn from at least one slam, consistent enough to make at least the next 8 semi's in a row at slams( after feds 23 straight the next one is 10 then 6 by lendl), be at a high enough level every time they meet fed to beat him on every surface.
I think if you consider these factors saying fed will only get 1 more slam isn't all that crazy. But anyways back to the prediction thats why I would put more than 1 slam by the time he retires.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Thrashing Nadal in a French Open Final after a few more years of receiving beatings at his hands.. Now that would far trump the Sampras exit.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
In a bloodbath

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Doesn't win a slam again.

He only made this year's RG final because lets be honest, most of the field sucks on clay. On grass and hard there are simply better players now too.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It will end as the tennis GOAT?

Probably wins 1,2 or 3 more slams. but I don't think he will quit after a slam triumph a la Sampras. probably ends it in Basle after he can't make the WTF for the first time(Might even throw in a gigantic pizza party for whole the crowd+ballboys or something:).

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Doesn't win a slam again.

He only made this year's RG final because lets be honest, most of the field sucks on clay. On grass and hard there are simply better players now too.
In the last GS he had matchpoint against the eventual winner in the semi. The gap isn't that big.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I'm pretty sure he'll win one more.
But i'm not sure about more than one. Time will tell.
I really hope so... He has the tennis.
He's the only offensive player in the top 5, the only player with a one-hander backhand, the only "multi-styles", well deserved to be the best.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ok...I have come up with one..He hangs up his rasquet after losing to Cilic in straight sets at RG...or 3-1 at the US.. Wimbledon is too holy to even joke about it..

Hope This won't be quoted at some point.... :D

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Oh old Wodgie will quietly walk off into the sunset.. Doubt he ends it on a slam win though. Since its possible he may never win one again unless he does it next year.. The rest of the field will slowly begin to catch up here soon..

He'll retire as being one of the all time greats. A bit questionable legacy due to his mental breakdown against the legit challengers (Nole, Nadal etc) and all the pidgeons that came before but he has an all time great career. No shame in that.

Hopefully the Fards leave with him. But I'm sure they stick around trying to overhype and overrate his legacy more then it really was.

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
Ok...I have come up with one..He hangs up his rasquet after losing to Cilic in straight sets at RG...or 3-1 at the US.. Wimbledon is too holy to even joke about it..

Hope This won't be quoted at some point.... :D
loosing to cilic is really too much :lol:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Oh old Wodgie will quietly walk off into the sunset.. Doubt he ends it on a slam win though. Since its possible he may never win one again unless he does it next year.. The rest of the field will slowly begin to catch up here soon..

He'll retire as being one of the all time greats. A bit questionable legacy due to his mental breakdown against the legit challengers (Nole, Nadal etc) and all the pidgeons that came before but he has an all time great career. No shame in that.

Hopefully the Fards leave with him. But I'm sure they stick around trying to overhype and overrate his legacy more then it really was.
You mean precisely what you do with Sampras. (all time great by the way but not as great as Federer:p)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I can see Federer folding like tinfoil against Nadal smudging his legacy somewhat but against Novak? They split their last ten meetings and he still has a winning H2H against Novak. And who are the other "etc legit challengers"?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
He'll win another slam. Eventually his QF streak will fall when he gets surprised by someone in the 3rd round. From there he'll continue playing, reach some QF, SF, maybe a final if he's lucky during 2013 (slamless again like 2011), lose another 3rd round match at a slam in the following year, go to the QFs of some other slams, then eventually enter the following two years slamless, and retire at the age of 34 or 35. Something of this nature I think will happen. And when it does, he'll probably retire with his last slam match being a QF to some top 8-10 player.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
He'll win a slam and retire after giving an arrogant speech at the awards ceremony how he's the GOAT.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How confident are you topsindoctor like 50/50 that roger wins another slam or do you bet its more likely he does not?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts