Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting some objective analysis: after all, his draw hasn't exactly been tough either, with the lowest-ranked seed, one who was unlikely to trouble him, and a crocked No. 3 seed. Is Novak actually playing very well, or is it more that the quality of the opposition has just made it look that way, or somewhere between the two? I haven't seen any highlights, and since I think my recorder has just failed I shan't be able to watch the ones I had recorded :(

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just go on freaking youtube and see the highlights. He is playing ok, so if someone beats him they will have to play amazing. You want beat him playing your 90%, it will have to be 95%+.
He is not as good as last year. Last year his shots were crisp and deadly. This year... Meh. Ok.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
He is pretty much screaming "come on, isn't there anyone who can take me down already?!" with his level. All that's needed is for Thiem and Zverev to bring the finishing shot, and Novak's done and dusted. At least, that's my impression mostly from the Federer match - but he will likely raise his level in the F anyway. Still, they do have a chance to win IMO.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not at the peak Djokovic level yet, but could be peaking at the finals. I do think that Nadal would've been an easier opponent in the Finals than Thiem/Zverev. Not because they're better players than Nadal, but because Novak knows Nadal's soul and has his number.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
He is just playing serve and return game in this tournament. His rallies is a bit under cooked. But he did not have to slide against such opposition.

If Thiem or Zverev hang in the rallies its hard to say. They hit a more powerful ball than Djokovic.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
How well is he playing? I guess we will find out on Sunday. With Djoker, it has always been tough to judge his level. He has looked crap many times, but then gone on to win the whole thing with ease in the latter rounds. He looks okay to me, but he does not look as good as last year. Nadal and Pouille had no answer to some brutal tennis. Maybe he has another gear in him, maybe not. Time as always will tell.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
He has been solid, but not outstanding - but maybe he doesn't have to be. Not a tough draw with an old/ beat up Fed in the semis. He will have a first time HC slam finalist in the final - probably some nerves etc., so he may not have to be that good. I didn't think he was that awesome last year outside of the final either. As a whole last year I did not find him convincing past AO. We all know some gifts from Fed helped him at Wimbledon, and the rest of the year meh...

It sill shocks me that so many think he is a lock to pass Fed in the slam tally - 5 more is a lot!! Even 4 more if he wins this AO with decline already in progress and younger players challenging him, we will see.

Having said that - I think he takes this title - too much experience and he is so confident here, plus he has the serve going to bail him out when needed.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Haters here in MTF will always say he is nothing special no matter what.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Registered
85 Posts
Djokovic has played decent - but not god-like by any means, he's basically done just enough to win each match to get to the final.

For me, his serve has been the most impressive part of his game, especially the bigger 2nd serve.

I believe Djokovic can raise his level if and where needed for the final on Sunday against the winner of Thiem vs Zverev

·
justice for all
15,099 Posts
Fantastic serving and returning, good but a bit up and down ground game. Will it be enough on Sunday? Most likely yes but I think the margin is not as big as many think.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I am unimpressed, but it was the same last year, up to SF (which he played vs slam SF virgin who was like a deer in the headlights, so not really relevant) and Final, in which he came firing all cylinders. I hope he can raise his level, bcs youngsters are after him.

He played a lot lot better at the ATP cup, he had that crisp and bite in his groundstrokes which @Branimir had previously mentioned that he had last year, so there's gears to shift to definitely.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
He is playing possum and will raise his level in the final. No way will he let the love and the occasion pass him by. I think that Zverev and Thiem may have been prepared better against the opponents they played, and may frustrate him in the first 2 sets.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Djokovic‘s ground game has steadily declined in the past few years. He is not close to intouchable in rallies anymore. On the other hand, he has clearly improved his serve. The combo is still very difficult to beat, but I think at least Thiem would have some chances in the final.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Djokovic‘s ground game has steadily declined in the past few years. He is not close to intouchable in rallies anymore. On the other hand, he has clearly improved his serve. The combo is still very difficult to beat, but I think at least Thiem would have some chances in the final.
Djoko is morphing into Fed steadily ;) :D

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I think he has been playing pretty solid. He was playing quite a bit better in the two rounds prior to the SF. I think the drop in level was obviously partly due to the quality of Fed's ball striking, but also Fed's ability to keep Djokovic guessing. Novak also seemed to be quite a bit unsure of how to deal with Federer not moving very well. I suspect he will look quite a bit better in the final as neither Thiem or Zverev quite have the ability to keep Djokovic as off balance as Fed does.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Decent, 2015 level I suppose - which was his worst AO winning level of all. Beatable but still takes a sustained quality performance to topple him.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts