Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played a match with my friend today, and my legs got cramped twice.... :(

Can somebody tell me what to do to avoid cramps when playing tennis?

Thanks a lot!!! :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
There is no secret recipe that I know of, but cramping often happens because one doesn't drink enough water.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You pretty much just have to condition yourself. I presume you cramped at the latter stages of your match. The fitter and stronger your muscles are, the less chance of cramp. That's the best i can come up with. Take Dominik Hrbaty, he doesn't cramp frequently, he cycles up mountains for leisure!

·
Registered
73 Posts
And drink water

·
Registered
314 Posts
All of the above: your body needs sodium and potassium for the conduction of nerve impulses. You'd want to drink water before and during the match, banana's are a good source of potassium, or otherwise (or additionally) get whatever drink Dina's talking about that contains the minerals. But conditioning is very important too: run like Lleyton (for eg. ;) ) and you'll adapt physiologically: your aerobic respiration will improve and you'll be able to overcome a buildup of lactic acid in the muscles, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! :)

I gotta make sure to drink lots of fluids and bring a banana next time when playing..... :D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You can try eating some dried salted herring during the changeover. It is a good source of sodium and potassium. In my younger years that was what mountain climbers were eating to keep themselves going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts