Mens Tennis Forums banner

How talented is Djokovic on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tal·ent·ed
ˈtalən(t)əd/
adjective
having a natural aptitude or skill for something.

What do you think?

Vote in poll. Let's try not to troll.

I would say Djokovic is a solid 8 when it comes to pure talent.

There isn't much he can't do on a tennis court. Even in his later years. We have seen him volley well and hit finesse shots over the years...beyond his precision based baseline game.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Djokovic is a supremely talented player, severely underrated around here, where people mistake netrushing, one handed backhand and ball bashing as talent. He can do anything, defensively and offensively. His volleys are solid, maybe not among the best, but solid. He gets a lot of stick for his overhead, and he misses some funny ones, but I don't think he misses more than 1/10 overheads. Even though the misses look bad, his overhead is still solid. A talent noone seems to pinpoint is how well he responds to dropshots. He seems to always find the right spot to place the ball once he gets there. When in good form his attacking game is very good. Just watch him play Rafa when he was peaking. He does so much damage with his powerful inside-out forehand as well with angled crosscourt forehands. I'm not even getting started on his return of serve, backhand and defense.
I actually agree with Bolletieri, that Djoker is the most complete player (certainly from what I saw).

I think he's the most talented player after Rafa.
If Rafa is 10/10, then Djoker is 9,5/10.

·
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
11/10. Considering No1e has no exploitable weakness, is the best and greatest player ever, owns his biggest rivals, and also his biggest rival (Nadal) acknowledged him as the BOAT.

Exactly. And now without Fedal superfan Pepe the order will be restored.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Djokovic is a supremely talented player, severely underrated around here, where people mistake netrushing, one handed backhand and ball bashing to talent. He can do anything, defensively and offensively. His volleys are solid, maybe not among the best, but solid. He gets a lot of stick for his overhead, and he misses some funny ones, but I don't think he misses more than 1/10 overheads. Even though the misses look bad, his overhead is still solid. A talent noone seems to pinpoint is how well he responds to dropshots. He seems to always find the right spot to place the ball once he gets there. When in good form his attacking game is very good. Just watch him play Rafa when he was peaking. He does so much damage with his powerful inside-out forehand as well with angled crosscourt forehands. I'm not even getting started on his return of serve, backhand and defense.
I actually agree with Bolletieri, that Djoker is the most complete player (certainly from what I saw).

I think he's the most talented player after Rafa.
If Rafa is 10/10, then Djoker is 9,5/10.
If No1e and RAFA are 10 and 9.5 then Fed must get a 20.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
If No1e and RAFA are 10 and 9.5 then Fed must get a 20.
Fraud is a solid 7. Great serve, used to have a great FH, but the man had a sissy BH for most of his life. He had to become a grandpa to actually learn to hit a proper topsin BH. The overhead is an insgnificant shot (the shot Djoker gets more stick for it). But the BH is a very important shot. You can't call yourself talented when you have such a weak groundstroke.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Obviously 10.

Are you this bored OP?

What a silly thread

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Fraud is a solid 7. Great serve, used to have a great FH, but the man had a sissy BH for most of his life. He had to become a grandpa to actually learn to hit a proper topsin BH. The overhead is an insgnificant shot (the shot Djoker gets more stick for it). But the BH is a very important shot. You can't call yourself talented when you have such a weak groundstroke.
He always had it in him, the issue was with the old racquet, not Fed's technique. Luckily for Nadull, Fed figured that out a bit too late. He would have owned Nadull a long time ago if he made the switch earlier in his career.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
He always had it in him, the issue was with the old racquet, not Fed's technique. Luckily for Nadull, Fed figured that out a bit too late. He would have owned Nadull a long time ago if he made the switch earlier in his career.
A 'what if' for sure. For @Andrej saying he wasn't able to hit the backhand... How much was it about the racquet... Easy to make an argument that it didn't make it easier for him. After he made the switch from the old 90" one to the 97" one, he has fared well against Rafa. Just things to consider. Djokovic and Rafa have a racquet head size of 100" and Murray 98". Imagine Rafa playing with a 90" racquet. A few things... Is Fed more or less talented to have played his game with the smaller racquet (i.e. how much did it help with some aspects of his game vs. how much did it hamper other aspects)? How might his game have been with a bigger one? And was he stupid/boneheaded to stick with the old racquet for so long once the competitors raised their level?

Roger: Roger Federer credits switch to bigger racquet for improved backhand

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
9. Lacks some touch and finesse.

10 is reserved only for Federer, Seppi and Karlovic. :nerd:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts