Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Don't really know

Votes: 4 7.1%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading posters saying that Nadal will win RG for sure..

However, I think nobody expected Djokovic to lose in the 2nd round or fish to win federer in IW.

But those are just examples.

So the question is: "how predictable is tennis?".

PS: If there's already any other thread on tis matter, I am sorry =S

·
Banned
459 Posts
In case you haven't noticed, tennis has been predictable so far in the slams this year. Djoker is the best HC player these days, sorry Fed fans, and the best HC player won the AO. It wasn't Tsonga who won the AO, that would hve been unpredictable.

I expect the best claycourter to win the FO too just like the best HC player won the AO in 2008, sorry arm.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In case you haven't noticed, tennis has been predictable so far in the slams this year. Djoker is the best HC player these days, sorry Fed fans, and the best HC player won the AO. It wasn't Tsonga who won the AO, that would hve been unpredictable.

I expect the best claycourter to win the FO too just like the best HC player won the AO in 2008, sorry arm.
Sorry for what?? :)

that's just what i wanted, your opinion

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
When the favorites win, it is predictable.

When the underdogs win, it is unpredictable.

Now, the above logic doesn't hold here on MTF where every result is "predictable" and "expected". (But MTF and logic have never been on speaking terms).

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I expect:

Rafa to win FO

Roger to win Wimbledon

Djoker to win USO
in my opinio, it would be amazing for tennis in general. top 3 each one winning where they are better..

but there's always the chance of someone making a surprise

·
Registered
148 Posts

so Tsonga reaching the final wasn't unpredictable?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
Not really. There have been many unpredictable finalists at the AO recently: Gonzo, Baggy, etc
yup unpredicted finalists at AO are always predictable

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I'm interested in what Dyllan24 has to say about this :).
All the matches are fixed and all players are fixers. Predictable answer.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Not as predictable as MTF.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
It is like a coin flip, if the coin is fair then the probability of "heads" is 0.5 and the outcome of a flip is unpredictable. If the coin is double-headed, then the probability of "heads" is 1 and the outcome is perfectly predictable. Tennis falls between these two extremes, so for example Federer-Volandri on grass and Nadal-Fish on clay are much more predictable than Berdych-Malisse on hard.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
For anybody believing Nadal winning RG is certain, there is a money-making opportunity out there, you can get a probability of around 50% from the bookies at this time. Actually, betting markets aggregate beliefs of individual gamblers that have differences of opinion about the outcome of future matches.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
MTF is more predictable.

Bandwagoning, knee jerk and overreactions are the norm.

·
Registered
26,816 Posts
Apart from this year and fixed matches :tape: it's quite predictable... I'd say, it's more predictable than unpredictable

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
This year has been totally unpredictable, what with Tsonga reaching the AO final, Fish reaching the Indian Wells final and Davydenko winning Miami.

It's exciting and kind of refreshing that players who we don't expect too, make it to the finals.

But as for the rest of the slams, Nadal will win the French - be interesting to see who his opponent is. Not sure if it will be Roger, and his final opponent depends on the draw (could be Djokovic, or Nadal will beat Djokovic in the Semi). If not we might have a surprise finalist in Gasquet, Berdych, or going by the French Open's previous years (Gaudio, Puereta, Verkerk etc.) - it could be someone like Almagro or Acasuso!

Roger should retain his Wimbledon crown IMO. He should have recovered from his illness which is preventing him from his best. Djokovic should and probably will take the US Open crown.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts