Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is clear to me that the matchup has suddenly become lopsided in the sense the margins are on Djokovic's side, even on Clay..

The decline of the Nadal's serve along with Djokovic returning prowess suddenly reading it like an open book makes up for any "redlining" going awry for Nole..Since the USO, Djokovic has been breaking it at will; going deep to 40-40 almost in every game..Nadal can't even allow Djokovic an opportunity to choke the match on serve here in Rome and Miami getting double broken each time :facepalm:..

He gotta fix that serve or this shaping up to be another long losing streak..

Discuss..

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
To me Nadal's serve has always been the weakness of his game due to his grip and technique. His tennis technique ain't that good like the top 10 players. Probably the worst in top 10.

Once Djoker can solve the DTL banana forehand, Nadal will be buried forever.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
He can't do anything about it. Rafa's serve average, not power based. And i think while Murray is the best when returning faster serves, Novak is the best when it comes to make effective returns at average serves. Nadal's top spin or placement not a problem for Djokovic at all. Also i still think that's movement problem for Rafa rather than serving. It's always going to be like this against Novak but if you could see that today, after Novak returning, Rafa really could not move good and ate too many return winners. He should be more active and should read much better Novak's returns as Novak reads his serve.

Obviously, if he serves like 2010 USO, it's completely different story but let's be honest, that's not going to be happen again.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Like I said yesterday, Nadal current pattern on serve is: lower the speed, go for placement and high 1st %. This could pay out against unstable and undisciplined returners, but will never work against Djokovic (or even Ferrer). You've to go for a 200-205 km/h in this level, doesn't matter if your % drops. :shrug:

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Like I said yesterday, Nadal current pattern on serve is: lower the speed, go for placement and high 1st %. This could pay out against unstable and undisciplined returners, but will never work against Djokovic (or even Ferrer). You've to go for a 200-205 km/h in this level, doesn't matter if your % drops. :shrug:
But if % drops too much, Novak will be much much more brutal on second serves like today.

It's puzzle for Rafa to solve really. He can hang on at clay like grinding him down but if he wants to make a shit against Novak at hard courts, he much better solve this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It definitely was a liability today. He can get away with that from other competitors. Against Novak he needs to increase speed and pace while mix it up more. His patterns are too predictable.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
It is clear to me that the matchup has suddenly become lopsided in the sense the margins are on Djokovic's side, even on Clay..

The decline of the Nadal's serve along with Djokovic returning prowess suddenly reading it like an open book makes up for any "redlining" going awry for Nole..Since the USO, Djokovic has been breaking it at will; going deep to 40-40 almost in every game..Nadal can't even allow Djokovic an opportunity to choke the match on serve here in Rome and Miami getting double broken each time :facepalm:..

Discuss..
This says it all.

Nadal needs Djokovic to choke in the last 2 years, to win.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Discuss..
It was disappointing to see him be broken to lose the match. He is capable of serving better like in US Open. He needed some clutch serving early in second and third sets to get him out of trouble but chose to serve his usual patterns.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It definitely was a liability today. He can get away with that from other competitors. Against Novak he needs to increase speed and pace while mix it up more. His patterns are too predictable.
Maybe he could vary it a bit more, but I don´t think speed is the issue. On clay, the benefits of faster 1st serve are outweighed by the prospect of having to start the point with a 2nd serve, against a quality returner like Djokovic.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
watching Nole return you almost wish there were more servebots, credit to Milos.
all the whining about taller guys and faster serves are nullified by returners like Novak and Andy, even Ferer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The only reason Nadal is playable is because of his average serve and return.
Well, give Federer's (peak) serve to Djokovic, and he's unbeatable on basically any surface. We can play this game with many players. Give Stan's Nadal mindset and clutch ability, and he may wins the CYGS this season. Give Djokovic's backhand to Roger... you get my point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts