Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After AO 2009, he was crushed because it was obvious that his total dominance reign seemed over.

However, he won the FO out of nowhere and then followed up with a Wimbledon victory.

I think the FO restored his confidence in a huge way. What would have happened if he had lost?

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Do you mean if he had lost to Soderling or if he had simply not won it '09 regardless of who would have won the RG in his place?

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean if he had lost to Soderling or if he had simply not won it '09 regardless of who would have won the RG in his place?
Either. Do you think it changes things either way?

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Either. Do you think it changes things either way?
Yes cause I think losing to Soderling at that point would have been devastating while simply not winning it and having Nadal winning that year wouldn't have made much difference going into Wimby, imho of course.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes cause I think a losing to Soderling at that point would have been devastating while simply not winning it and having Nadal winning that year wouldn't have made much difference, imho of course.
Well, Soderling would still have beaten Nadal no matter what happened to Fed. I think it would be really crushing if Soderling beat Nadal and Fed didn't even make the final, because he would know it was a huge missed chance.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Well, Soderling would still have beaten Nadal no matter what happened to Fed. I think it would be really crushing if Soderling beat Nadal and Fed didn't even make the final, because he would know it was a huge missed chance.
Yes I was referring to pre-tourney Roger's expectations. I wasn't even considering getting beaten by Delpo/Monfils possibility in this scheme of things.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe Roddick finally gets his Wimbledon win if this was the case

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Roger's match against Soderling at Wimbledon was quite close too iirc, those where the years when I started to have 'shaky' feelings about his big matches even though his tennis was there.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roger's match against Soderling at Wimbledon was quite close too iirc, those where the years when I started to have 'shaky' feelings about his big matches even though his tennis was there.
Yeah. I think the only thing that pulled him through that Roddick match was his previous history of dominance against Roddick.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
If he lost to Haas in the 4th round the day after Rafa went out, he would have been beyond devastated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Had he lost to either Haas or Delpo, i think he would have never broken the slam record. He would not have won any slams after that at all.

Even today he would stand at 13 slams in stead of 17.

One win can be huge for a guy's mentality.

This is why i think he can now bounce back from tough losses easily, because he knows that he won the most important tough matches at RG (Haas and Delpo)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Interesting question. I don't believe any one tournament altered the course of tennis history more than RG 2009.

If we assume Nadal never lost to Soderling and went on to beat Federer in the final, Nadal would have a 63-0 record at RG and 9 consecutive RG titles , and it would almost certainly be the greatest achievement the sport had ever seen. Even though I don't personally believe in the GOAT debate, Nadal would probably be considered the greatest of all time by commentators and analysts across the globe. He'd still trail Federer 14-16 in slams, but would have the career grand slam and Federer wouldn't. Plus, he would have an even more dominant H2H, and he would only need 3 more slams to overtake Fed rather than 5.

The only other tournament that I think could have changed post-2000 history just as much was Rome 2006. If Federer had successfully executed his match point in the 5th set, I sincerely believe he would've turned the tables on Nadal, won RG 2006 (and thus the CYGS), and the Fed-Nadal H2H would be something like the Djokovic-Fed H2H. So it goes both ways.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
He would have lost to Roddick but I still think he would have won AO 2010 and Wimbledon 2012. So 2 less slams.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If he lost to Haas in the 4th round the day after Rafa went out, he would have been beyond devastated.
This. I have no idea how he came back in that match.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
There's aboslutely no way to know. Remember the butterfly effect guys. If Soderling had won in the final it would be very unlikely he would have gotten mono later for instance.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
After AO 09 Federer has lost his fighting spirit against Nadal. Djokovic/Nadal rivalry is different just because Novak has not got 17GS, If Novak beat Rafa it is nothing for him because Novak maybe will not going to win more than 4 GS. We could see how tough is for Rafa to have two great seasons in a row at age 26 or 27 but soon he will turn 28 and have a lot of matches in his legs. Novak as well. I think Murray,Del Potro,maybe Wawrinka or some young guys would going to win major titles. Who knows what would happen!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts