Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not taking anything away from the final, it was amazing.

But the longest final in history played by the two players that probably takes the most time in between service point, if you take only the tennis how long do you think it was?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Probably 2 hours of tennis and 4 of toweling and ball bouncing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In every match the actual play time is not much. For big servers like Federer and Soderling perhaps even less in terms of percentage, due to short points and easier holds of serve, while here every game was hardly fought.
In the case of these two I agree that they take more time, but that extra may account for say 30 mins, it would still take more than 5 hours, even if they took the average time of other players.

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Like this...:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In every match the actual play time is not much. For big servers like Federer and Soderling perhaps even less in terms of percentage, due to short points and easier holds of serve, while here every game was hardly fought.
In the case of these two I agree that they take more time, but that extra may account for say 30 mins, it would still take more than 5 hours, even if they took the average time of other players.
i think it would have taken more than that

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
All I saw was rounding around, ball bashing when they could have ended the points much faster and crappy service games . Not much forcing the issue and changing it up from either guy. Great match.. Overrated tennis IMO.

Nothing like the Fed-Nadal Wimbeldon 08 match or Fed-Safin AO match or Pete-Andre 2001 USO match

·
Registered
496 Posts
WTA Linz presents an "actual play time" stat, which I assume counts only the time between each serve being struck and the ball bouncing twice (for a winner) or once (for an error). It's usually 9-10 minutes of actual play for each hour of match time. Maybe less, I can't remember it exactly now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is it correct that the clock kept on ticking while they closed the roof? I guess that alone took like 10 minutes or so...

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
All I saw was rounding around, ball bashing when they could have ended the points much faster and crappy service games . Not much forcing the issue and changing it up from either guy. Great match.. Overrated tennis IMO.

Nothing like the Fed-Nadal Wimbeldon 08 match or Fed-Safin AO match or Pete-Andre 2001 USO match
what a match that was :worship: Easily the best pure ballstriking I've ever seen.
AO 2005 was one of the best slams ever :yeah:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well at least for the girls there was time for countless slow-motion replays of nadal flexing his muscles while fistpumping...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

I always wonder how long its been since people have actually watched these matches IN THEIR ENTIRETY.

Not saying they aren't great matches, but they seem greater when you only watch the highlights (much like a boxing match from years ago).

Go back and rewatch these side by side with yesterday's final. See what you think.

·
Your visions will happen
49,306 Posts
Let's do this scientific, shall we?

193 to 176 points

369 total points and 30 seconds in between points (avg.)

About 3 hours spent between points.

1 min 30 sec. for every changeover, 32 changeovers, 48 minutes of changeovers, plus a 12 minute rain delay

So 4 hour spent no playing points, actual time the ball was in play would be around 1 hr 53 minutes, the average point lasting around 20 seconds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts