Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
50,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Underrated Olympic Gold Medalist (singles and doubles) Nico Massu has guided Thiem from brainless ball basher to grand slam champion

How much credit does he deserve for this transformation project? Not sure when exactly he made the switch from Bresnik to Massu, but what did Bresnik bring that Massu did not? What did Massu bring that Bresnik did not? Maybe @guitarra or @Lukasgigler can weigh in especially

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
He deserves all the credit for RAFA/Captain Luckbot not playing, a pandemic further depleting the field, big Novak getting disqualified and Faultrev flawlessly executing one of the biggest chokes of all time.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Definitely lots of credit, Thiem played a bit like his old self today but in the past year, he's been insanely consistent on HC, unthinkable when you look at his HC results 2016-2017. 2018 USO QF was the first sign of his HC potential, and he's managed to turn it into a level he can often reach under Massu. I think his shot selection and swing motion have improved the most on HC, he can really play controlled aggresion now.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Unless Massu paid that lineswoman off then no he doesn't deserve any credit. Is winning a slam* in a depleted field supposed to be an achivement?
I have to admit that I've recently joined #nolefam because Djokovic is the only one who can save tennis from the likes of Zverev winning slams. I give Thiem credit for getting the job done, but not much. The strong era of the big 3/4/5 will be erased and coarsened if the likes of Zverev win slams. We were far too close to disaster. The line judge should go back to Hollywood rather than appearing on a tennis court and ruining future tournaments.

Reactions: DjokoKing

·
Registered
741 Posts
Unless Massu paid that lineswoman off then no he doesn't deserve any credit. Is winning a slam* in a depleted field supposed to be an achivement?
Did you see Thiem's performance in Australia? He had clearly raised his game.

He should have buried Novak in that final too. Novak got out of jail there.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
he deserves a ton of credit but needs to work on thiem's hc ros. standing 18 ft behind the baseline on z's short, spinny, nervy 2nd serves and not being able to take time away or do anything aggressive whatsoever over 4 hrs is a bit embarrassing. even serena would have pounced on a ton of those. i'd like to see him step in on occasion, get inside his opponents head, make him think, make him get tight, and rip a few.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It's hard to tell whether this success is more due to Massu's expertise as a coach or simply the effects of finally escaping Gunter Bresnik. Domi's game was never going to mature under the rigid, controlling, dogmatic Bresnik. Under Massu, he's made all the right changes including shortening his forehand takeback, flattening his backhand, and improving his slice. He has more self-belief and patience as well. From what I've seen, Massu has done everything right and he has a great relationship with Domi, so he deserves plenty of credit.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think Massu's biggest achievement with Dominic has been mental. Thiem is just a little bit more patient and calm than before (not counting last night's match tho, but in general). HC game also very improved and also decision making. Still, most likely this is mainly a result of Domi growing and having more experience, which is a natural process, so I'd give most of the credit to him, but Massu definitely has had a calming presence in this.

·
justice for all
16,870 Posts
Massive credit to Nicolas. I was never his fan when he was a player but the way he helped Dominic with his hard court tennis is unprecedented.
He started to coach him only briefly before IW 2019 win.
Sure, Dominic even before Massu showed signs of greatness - e.g. his epic 2018 USO QF vs Rafa is the best example where he only lost in the 5th set TB - but he was nowhere close to being such a complete player on this surface.
Hell, even last autumn, after his shock 2019 USO 1st round exit to Fabianno (Dominic caught the virus just prior to the tournament) many people were calling him "a hard court mug".
Ever since that unfortunate USO 2019 loss his HC results were:

Beijing - WIN
Shanghai - QF
Vienna - WIN
Paris - last 16
ATP Finals - RU
AO - RU
Cincy - last 32 (the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion it was an obvious tank job)
USO - WIN

I didn't do the calculations but I think Dominic amassed similar amount of points on hard courts in that period (post USO 2019 - USO 2020) to Djokovic (or only slightly fewer).

Of course, at the end of the day it's the player who is out there on court and hitting the ball but Massu's experience as a player and his intelligence helped Dominic big time.
Thank you, Nicolas.

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
Underrated Olympic Gold Medalist (singles and doubles) Nico Massu has guided Thiem from brainless ball basher to grand slam champion
To a choker GS champion, his choker mentality never ever disappeared.

Choking is the new king!
Who cares about winning if you are able to choke, and defile this sport thereby.

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
Stay pressed, mate!
I'm not afraid to speak the truth.
Your expectations about Thiem winning yearly 1-2 slams are based on empty hopes.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I agree with @paca and @HollowTip completely here on how important the mental side has been here.

Having watched Dominic under Bresnik's strict and controlling coaching, almost never receiving any credit for anything he did while practicing, no matter how hard he tried, time after time after time.

And then having seen Domi having fun at practice courts with Massu, receiving relaxed but still firm advice from him, never putting Domi under the hard pressure of being forced to do something against his will, never telling him he wasn't ever going to be good enough.

For someone with a character like Dominic, almost too pedantic and so eager to please, I can see how Massu's style was exactly what he needed for a long time ago already. Just had the family ties with Bresnik, so wasn't quite able to let go of him sooner than what he did.

But there is at least one thing that Dominic will always have to be grateful for Bresnik, and that is his stamina and physique. Bresnik made him work so hard as a young kid, that it's hard for us to grasp, but that is what has made him the beast he is on court today.

Another thing more or less created by Bresnik is Domi's one handed BH. I think it was clearly worthwhile all the time and work it took, even though Domi was quite 'invisible' during his early teen years, as his BH was still pretty much under construction.

Here below I have a photo which I took of Domi practicing together with Massu right before MC Masters 2019 on clay.

I wish I had a similar photo of him & Bresnik that I took the year before in MC with me here now to show it to you all (it's hiding somewhere in my archives), but you have to take my word for it: the atmosphere back in 2018 practices was ice cold, no words spoken, unless it was something like "You have to try harder, that's not enough!" coming from Bresnik in German, and then back to silence again, only Dominic's face telling about the despair he was in.

But these two were having fun all the time, yet they didn't need to skip practicing hard for that - those two can be combined when you've got the right skills and personalities that go well together:

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Nobody knows how much credit can be attributed because nobody is privy to all of the things a coach is responsible for.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the unwritten rule is that if you win a slam, the coach at that time gets the majority of the credit for any strategy, techniques, mental toughness etc that helped you win that slam. Different coaches have very different ways of coaching their clients. Massu, whatever his style is, clearly broke through with Thiem. Of course, old coaches also get some credit, too. That's all part of the journey. But it is Massu who clearly made the biggest difference.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts