Mens Tennis Forums banner

How much will Tsitipas fight in the last group match?

• The Greek will give everything he has to beat the world number one.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Tsitsipas will not make an outright tank, but play without full focus and physical commitment.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • The Greek will definitely tank. Making sure Medvedev can't qualify is reason enough.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Tsitsipas will definitely tank. This is the only way to be certain he doesn't waste energy.

Votes: 1 3.6%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the on-court interview after the victory against Zverev, Tsitsipas spoke enthusiastically about the opportunity to play Nadal, and give everything in this match. Unfortunately, with all the information on the table, one can question whether he will live up to his promise; things don't look very promising from a spectator's point of view. Will Tsitsipas really be motivated to go all in here?

Let's look at the incentives.

Arguments for Tsitipas to give his best:

* 200 points and extra prize money.

* The confidence boost gained by beating a legend and world number one.

Arguments for Tsitsipas not to make a full effort:

* He has already qualified.

* His opponent in the semi (Thiem or Federer) has had one more day of rest. A physically draining match can make the difference on Saturday.

* His chances of getting Thiem increase after a loss. Recently he lost indoors against Federer, 6-4, 6-4 in a very one-sided match. Most likely he prefers to meet the Austrian.

Unfortunately for all spectators in London and on tv, the latter arguments seem the more compelling ones. I'm not saying Tsitsipas will make an outright tank. Still, playing without a 100 % focus and without a full physical commitment will not cut it against Nadal, who will fight for his survival.

My own vote in the poll is the middle option - not an outright tank, but not a full effort. Do you have another opinion? Please vote and/or comment.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I hope he beats Nadal. One less obstacle in Rogers path
To be honest, on this court and given their current form, I see Tsitispas as the bigger obstacle for Federer than Nadal.
Back on topic, I think Tsitispas will certainly try evertyhting at the beginning, but he might reduce his effort in case he loses the first set.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interesting thoughts! I think Tsitsipas won't be thinking strategically. He is very competitive and will just want to beat Nadal. I think he will give his all. It really isn't fair that his group has to play the semis without rest. It is a huge disadvantage to have to play Nadal of all opponents in this final round robin match. I hope Tsitsipas just naturally keeps up the high level he had against Zverev and wins in 2 easy sets. A grueling 3 setter really could screw him over in the semis.

I don't understand how Medvedev could possibly qualify as he has already lost 2 matches and is out, so I don't think that option applies.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back on topic, I think Tsitispas will certainly try evertyhting at the beginning, but he might reduce his effort in case he loses the first set.
A good point, and a quite likely scenario.

If we take Thiem as an example, his effort wasn't poor right from the start. Rather his will to fight gradually deteriorated when he felt Berrettini was no push-over. In addition to the gradual drop for Thiem, there was a distinct extra downfall when he lost the first set, making it one-way traffic from there-on in.

I can imagine something similar this time. Tsitispas' only way to stay motivated and give himself a chance to win is to play great from the start and never let Nadal into the match. If it becomes a fight, there can only be one winner.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand how Medvedev could possibly qualify as he has already lost 2 matches and is out, so I don't think that option applies.
My poll option that Tsitsipas would tank to make sure he keeps Medvedev out of things was given a bit tongue-in-cheek, but at least it is a theoretical possibility.

With a win for Tsitsipas, he gives Medvedev a genuine chance. A victory for the "bullshit Russian" 2-0 against Zverev would be enough for him to qualify. Nadal, Zverev, and Medvedev would all have one victory in that scenario and it would come down to counting sets, which would go to the Russian. That applies even if Nadal takes a set against Tsitsipas.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
He's not gonna tank. But he's not gonna play at 100% either. It's up to Nadal to take this.
But Nadal will not be that much motivated either — he got what he want from Roger.

So I wouldhn't even put it past Rafa to quit entirely, citing some "injury" but the real reason being protecting his H2H from suffering against anyone on a fast court.

Reactions: HollowTip

·
Registered
176 Posts
My poll option that Tsitsipas would tank to make sure he keeps Medvedev out of things was given a bit tongue-in-cheek, but at least it is a theoretical possibility.

With a win for Tsitsipas, he gives Medvedev a genuine chance. A victory for the "bullshit Russian" 2-0 against Zverev would be enough for him to qualify. Nadal, Zverev, and Medvedev would all have one victory in that scenario and it would come down to counting sets, which would go to the Russian. That applies even if Nadal takes a set against Tsitsipas.
You're right, I hadn't thought of that! I stand corrected. Thanks.

I don't know, would Tsitsipas rather have to play Med or Nadal in the final 4? I think overall it's best to get rid of Nadal. Tsi now knows he can beat Medvedev, although technically Tsi has a worse record against Med than Nadal (1-5 vs 1-4), and this surface seems to favor Med more than Nadal. OTOH, Med just choked against Nadal. But if Med plays Tsi again I think Med would be out for vengeance. He hates Tsi and would love nothing more than to beat him. Nadal is super competitive but doesn't have bad blood with Tsi. So I have no idea if it would behoove Tsitsipas to "tank" to guarantee Med is out of the running... I doubt he knows either so I think he will just try his best. He is so motivated and sets high goals for himself -- he may want to win the whole tournament without losing a match. Best case scenario from my point of view is that Tsi beats Nadal without expending much energy, and Zverev beats Medvedev.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Tsitsipas is too much of a simpleton for MTF experts' advanced mind games. Too competitive and too success driven. He'll play to win. Clueless jock.

Reactions: Supercell

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
he'll be very motivated to get another win against Nadal, more ranking points and it will help Tsitsipas' confidence for the future and besides i think he has a genuine chance today on an indoor court, he will give it everything.

·
justice for all
15,126 Posts
I'm not sure about that one. But if Stef tanks vs dull then Medvedev should also tank vs Zverev so all will be fine. :)

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Will be tough for him to lose this even when tanking. His level this tournament has been far superior to Nadals.

·
Registered
492 Posts
He should have motivation though more for going forward than actually to do with this tournament. I'm not even sure whether it's better for him to face Federer or Thiem in the next round. Jesus Fed would be a nightmare but you never know which Federer is going to turn up. If Backerer turns up unexpectedly, as in the USO, then he would be an easier opponent than Thiem. That aside, Tsitsipas should look on this match as an opportunity to practice playing against Nadal with little riding on it (for him). For the next few years at least, the road to winning a slam will have to go through one or more of the big 3. Nadal is not playing great while Tsitsipas seems to be in great form. If he can add another victory against Nadal that will give increased confidence the next time they meet.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
first of all i don't think Stef thinks strategicaly (doubt he even looks at scenarios, only thing that concerns him is that he is qualified). Nor do i think hate for Meddy (or Sasha) play any role in this. But i could imagine if Rafa wins the first set (which i don't think is likely but who knows..) his level might drop just a little to loose this.
having said all that, i believe Stefanos will win in two comfortable sets.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts