Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?
Players need to retire because they can't move well as they become older...
But Andre is playing so accurate tennis that he is always the one to make the opponent move...

Probably still two more years to go

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Strictly speaking, it's how many more years will Andre play, not how many years more Andre will play.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
IMO...

1. he wants to win a couple more Slams, preferably to get to the double digits and close the gap with the Android

2. he won't retire before the Android does

3. however long it takes to accomplish the above...;) ;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Can't they just retire on the same day - you know, like tomorrow? ;)

But seriously - I think that Andre will play as long as he is a contendor at slams.

I can't see him playing any longer than that - as long as he still has that "fire in his belly" we'll see his name in the draw.

Your guess is as good as mine how long that will be ;)

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I think he'll retire in 2 years, but I wouldn't mind seeing him retire today.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
He said in an interview that he'll retire once he feels that he cant win tournaments even if hes playing his best tennis. So as long as he is still winning and producing great results, hes not close to retiring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES! Definitely he is still playing great tennis! This's what he is still able to do, but not Pete or Michael. Although they are a bit younger than Andre, their ways of playing are so exhausting!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think only one or two more years. Someone, even Andre, can only work that hard for so long without tiring and getting distracted by family life. I give him at the VERY most two more years...

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Tennis will survive just fine without him ;)

Seriously though, the void in the USA will be noticed of course, because Andre and Roddick are about the only ATP players that they like to broadcast.

And they wonder why tennis isn't more popular down there :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Android won't retire until he wins the French Open title, that means he will never retire, he will play untill 70+ with a hope that one day he's going to win it. Unfortunately, he'll get a heart acttack on the court while trying his 50+th times to win the FO!!!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
LOL!!!!! yo Niratti!!! :) :D

now seriously. i re-watched the Agassi-Ferreira match last night and i take back all the slightly negative comments i made about his finals match against Rainer. i think now that the problem in in that match was that Agassi just didn't have a good enuf opponent. i've experienced this personally. you're playing against somebody so much worse than you that the standard of your game drops as well.

but re-watching the Ferreira match last i am amazed at how well Agassi is playing. he is in incredibly fine shape. his tennis is HOT! i hope he doesn't retire any time soon. i hope his body can hold up for another couple of years but younger players can learn a LOT from watching him.

i also agree with Pea that Andre is terrific for tennis. he is articulate, savvy, philosophical and witty. what's not to love...:) ;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Per4ever - I never said that he wouldn't be missed, I said that TENNIS WOULD SURVIVE JUST FINE WITHOUT HIM.

And it will.

The tournaments won't all of a sudden find that they have zero attendance, and the TV audiences (except perhaps in the USA where your casual fan likely has only been exposed to somebody like Safin once in their life) will still tune in.

How can you question my objectivity in this thread, then in another thread praise my mildly humourous attempt at showing that Andre is ten times better on clay then Hewitt in another?

Be consistent, AND read what I'm saying please.

I really get irked by responses to me that have nothing to do with what I said.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts