Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AO- Obviously we know the answer is No...
Acapulco- No
IW - No
Miami- No
Monte Carlo- Yes
Barcelona- Yes
Madrid - No
Rome - No
FO- Yes
W- No
Olympics - No
Toronto- Yes
Cincinnati- No
USO- No
Paris-Bercy- No
London WTF- No

I think 4 titles in 2020: Monte Carlo, Barcelona, FO, and Toronto, the rest No!!

Your thoughts??

·
Registered
334 Posts
Somewhere between 0-15. He’s obviously the favourite on clay, and in the top 5 on hard. Probably about 4/5, I’ll randomly guess at IW, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome and Roland Garros.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Monte Carlo, Barcelona and FO are guaranteed. He has won atleast one hard court title since 2017. So I'm going with either IW or Toronto. But I think most likely it will be Toronto since Djokovic will skip it as usual.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'll go with 3-4 titles, 2 on clay and 1-2 elsewhere. Whether any of those are slams remains to be seen...

·
justice for all
17,965 Posts
It doesn't matter. What matters in case of Nadal is Roland Garros. This is his last and biggest fortress.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
It doesn't matter. What matters in case of Nadal is Roland Garros. This is his last and biggest fortress.
This. Even if he lost everything else, I'd call this year a success if he keeps his throne at RG. After all, he's just a glorified claycourter according to MTF so he isn't expected to win anything on hard or grass...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
A repeat of 2019. I don't even care about masters anymore; I mean it's great if Rafa wins a couple masters here and there, but it really has nothing to do with GOAT debate. Sampras has how many masters remind me? Nobody cares about it but he was previous GOAT solely based on slam counts.

Anyway, FO and USO this year. At USO Rafa has great chance against Nole and Fed; as long as he doesn't run into someone like Thiem in QF again to drain too much energy and get injured. This AO draw was just too brutal for 33 yo.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
A repeat of 2019. I don't even care about masters anymore; I mean it's great if Rafa wins a couple masters here and there, but it really has nothing to do with GOAT debate. Sampras has how many masters remind me? Nobody cares about it but he was previous GOAT solely based on slam counts.

Anyway, FO and USO this year. At USO Rafa has great chance against Nole and Fed; as long as he doesn't run into someone like Thiem in QF again to drain too much energy and get injured. This AO draw was just too brutal for 33 yo.
Indeed if he gets lucky again to not face Thiem or Djokovic en route to the Us Open, like he has had in the last 3 years, he has chances.
RG it's pretty much the last fortress, but things are getting spicy this year. Of course remains to be seen if he gets another "from hell" draw with 2 qualifiers, a walking bye Nishikori and an ATG Goffin.
And of course maybe his opponent in the final gets to have a day rest not having to play b2b2b matches.
I would say 3-5 titles is in the cards.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
He is more favoured at the FO than any 1000 on clay.
We'll see how Thiem goes I suppose. If anyone stops Nadal at RG it will be him.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
4-5. A lot depends on Thiem as well I think. If Thiem wins AO then he will create lot of trouble to Nadal during clay season (not that he already doesn't but will be even more confident)

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
His only goal is to win 2 slams (or at least the French). Hes chasing history now. French/Wmbleldon or French/USO is all that should be on his mind. Forget the Mickey Mouse tourneys

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
We'll see how Thiem goes I suppose. If anyone stops Nadal at RG it will be him.
Agree. Thiem is a real worry at this point.
I'm not sure his domi Nance of Rafa on HC will translate to clay, once Rafa is in top clay form.
I like Thiem but he is The One who can ruin it for Rafa on clay (no-one else can) so I feel very generous even liking him.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts