Mens Tennis Forums banner

How many?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We saw what happened in football when the most talented player ever (Messi) and the GOAT coach (Guardiola) joined forces for a common goal.

What if this had happened in tennis and Federer had been coached by Tio all his career? How many Slams would we be looking at?

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Why would the sky be the limit? Outer space here we come, to the quasars and back!

Reactions: ApproachShot

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
EPIC FAIL LMAO. :haha: :haha: :haha:

>17 is the same as options 3,4, and 5. So if I thought Federer would win 20 slams I could choose option 3 or 1. It should have been < 17

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Well since Nadal then would have zero, you can add those 14, so it's 31, plus the one he lost to Delpo and Nole, so 33, plus a few close semifinals, so about 37 seems about right.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EPIC FAIL LMAO. :haha: :haha: :haha:

>17 is the same as options 3,4, and 5. So if I thought Federer would win 20 slams I could choose option 3 or 1. It should have been < 17
Oops, typo. I'm sure people understand what was meant though, maybe some moderator will edit it.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
High quality poll and thread as usual from the OP.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
What coach is the tennis equivalent of Mourinho then? Criteria being: having won with multiple players, both smaller and larger tournaments. Tends to not stay with one player very long.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What coach is the tennis equivalent of Mourinho then? Criteria being: having won with multiple players, both smaller and larger tournaments. Tends to not stay with one player very long.
Peter Lundgren. He had success with Rios, Federer, Safin, Wawrinka... also coached Dimitrov and Baghdatis, mostly very short stints.

And the most important criterion to be the Mourinho of tennis: he's not the GOAT coach.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Easy. Starts the same way. Mouratoglou is the Mou of Tennis. The man has humbly written a book about it entitled "The coach".

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy. Starts the same way. Mouratoglou is the Mou of Tennis. The man has humbly written a book about it entitled "The coach".
Seriously?

Anyway, the coaching factor is underrated. You could say Federer has been held back all his career by inferior coaching compared to Nadal. Just look at the AO 2014 SF: Edberg came up with some new tactics for that matchup, but unsurprisingly Tio was several steps ahead and had already prepared a counterplan for those tactics before Edberg even came up with them.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm not sure Federer's personality would work well with Toni's style of coaching. I'm obviously not personally familiar with either of the two but my general impression would be that these two are incompatible.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
This would assume there's no Nadal, no?

Federer could just ignore Toni and play his own game. He needs no coach.

48 minimum.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
This would assume there's no Nadal, no?

Federer could just ignore Toni and play his own game. He needs no coach.

48 minimum.
Exactly, the scenario is unclear. Nadal doesn't exist, Fed wins 30. He does, 25.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Zero. Tio would make Federer hit left handed thus taking away one of his best shots. Let alone the backhand.
Tio would make Federer run around like a Energizer bunny and thus burning him out. He doesnt have and never did have stamina.

And can you imagine Federer picking his butt? Loooool

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Peter Lundgren. He had success with Rios, Federer, Safin, Wawrinka... also coached Dimitrov and Baghdatis, mostly very short stints.

And the most important criterion to be the Mourinho of tennis: he's not the GOAT coach.
Mourinho is the GOAT coach actually. Any idiot can win Champions league with a team like Barcelona... Try with Porto or Inter.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I stopped reading after you called Guardiola the GOAT coach. :facepalm:
Yeah he hasn't really set the world on fire with Bayern, and he did inherit a treble team. Possession for the sake of possession has been proven to be ineffective, OTOH it's easier to be more direct with Messi-Suarez-Neymar than Messi-Pedro-Alexis.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Mourinho is the GOAT coach actually. Any idiot can win Champions league with a team like Barcelona... Try with Porto or Inter.
Did Mourinho win the World Cup too? Or Guardiola for the matter?

Lippi is the GOAT coach. Guardiola is better than Mourinho though. That 5-0 trashing he have him was a thing of beauty.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts