Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
At least Fed has been bagled less than Nadal (I think). So, who's tougher?

Even when he started losing, Fed is never that down on himself as much as "humble" Nadal. People say that he has huge ego but I think it's just his mentality.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
At least Fed has been bagled less than Nadal (I think). So, who's tougher?

Even when he started losing, Fed is never that down on himself as much as "humble" Nadal. People say that he has huge ego but I think it's just his mentality.
Olderer is almost impossible to bagel due to his serve.

·
Registered
29,376 Posts
>9000

Reactions: Mechlan

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
about 0 GS

with nadal's mental strenght, federer would have been truly insecure and his game would most likely never have developed to the degree it did. people forget the fact that nadal was at the beggining of his career uncle toni's little toy. he did exactly what toni said, at the times he said it and how he said it. because of his insecure and uncalm personality, he needed a soldier-like coach in order to give his tennis style and career a strong sense of direction because he was mentally unable to give it all by himself. the kid has will power but he needed someone exactly like his uncle in order to accomplish something in life.

by contrast, federer fortunately didnt have that kind of authoritative figure as a coach when he was a kid or a teenager so his style developed more freely and with a stronger influence about the past greats, much like he wanted to play in the first place.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Mental toughness? Federer won 4 slams after his decline.

Let's see how many slams does the so called mentally stronger Nadal wins post decline.
1 and counting, expect more next year

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
about 0 GS

with nadal's mental strenght, federer would have been truly insecure and his game would most likely never have developed to the degree it did. people forget the fact that nadal was at the beggining of his career uncle toni's little toy. he did exactly what toni said, at the times he said it and how he said it. because of his insecure and uncalm personality, he needed a soldier-like coach in order to give his tennis style and career a strong sense of direction because he was mentally unable to give it all by himself. the kid has will power but he needed someone exactly like his uncle in order to accomplish something in life.

by contrast, federer fortunately didnt have that kind of authoritative figure as a coach when he was a kid or a teenager so his style developed more freely and with a stronger influence about the past greats, much like he wanted to play in the first place.
True to some extent but as a teenager he had his on-court tantrums and was a bit of inconsistent. Otherwise he might have won slams earlier. When Peter Lundgren took over in 2000 he managed to somehow calm Federer down and then in 2003 came the first Wimbledon title out of many for example. Who knows what direction Federer could have taken without good coaching. Lundgren did great work with Rios too getting him into top10, helped Safin to reboot and almost helped Wawrinka to become a stable top player. His coaching results are very solid

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I think you have to ask yourself how much complacence would have driven him down without Nadal as his foil. I don't think Roger would have had the longevity that he has, and very likely, will have, without a player like Rafa making him question himself and his game.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
The same he has now.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
well.......can't disagree with all of them

21 - 34 of 34 Posts