Mens Tennis Forums banner

How many Slams will be won in 2020 by players not named Nadal/Djokovic/Federer?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
They will probably still get 2-3 I would say and one of the up and comers with a strong mentality can steal one or maybe 2 away. I think the hard courts ones are up for grabs but I don’t see RG nor Wimbledon being won by anyone but a big 3 member.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I'd go for a Wawrinka or Murray name on a trophy.

·
Your visions will happen
48,549 Posts
And now the off season begins and everyone makes predictions for the next season, predictions that will be bumped over the course of the next year to laugh or gloat

Me? I cannot look past the off season relaxing in the Maldives or wherever you wish to be.

Real training starts again maybe early-mid December

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
I want a new slam winner, or better yet two. 2 for Fedalovic and 2 for other players would be amazing.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Zero, or 1 max.

(1) AO: Djokovic or Rafa
(2) FO: Rafa
(3) WIM: Djokovic, Federer, or Rafa
(4) USO: Rafa, Djokovic, maybe, NextGen, or old horses, Wawrinka, Cilic, del Potro, Murray.

The man NextGen will have a hard time beating will be Rafa. If NextGen takes out Djokovic and Federer, Rafa is the guy who will cash in and win the title. In 2019, his two slam losses came in the hands of other two Big 3; Djokovic and Federer. Since 2017, except Wimbledon'17 loss to Muller, all the remaining slam (6) losses came in the hands of prior grand slam winners; Federer, Cilic, Djokovic, del Potro, which period also ended up in giving him 5 grand slam titles. History shows that experienced campaigners (which also include Muller) have a chance against Rafa, not the newcomers.

NextGen's biggest hurdle is Rafa.

·
6,478 Posts
0 - 1.
Even Federer could cash in at AO or Wimbledon, if the other 2 are upset or injured.
NextGen lack the self-belief that they can do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thiem's made the last 4 semis at RG so perhaps statistically most likely, Rafa cant keep winning it forever.
Agree nextgen unlikely at Wimbledon

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'll go with 1-2.

I suspect AO and Wimbledon will be taken by one of the big 3, but USO seems a likely place for nextgen to make their mark.
RG all comes down to whether Thiem can finally get over Rafa.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
people think that this season is different. actually, this is going on since 2016 when NextGen Thiem ended the year in top 10. and the predictions at the off season came in. 2017 comes with even older gen (Fedal) winning the Slams. and boom - Dimitrov wins WTF and everyone climbs to Gen U bandwagon. "Dimitrov will win AO 18" they said. 36 year old granpa wins instead. fast forward WTF 2018: "this is my f*cing time!"... again Big 2 dominates. for me, the real change will be in 2023 when Djokovic reaches 36 and unable to win Slam. until that, off-season beckons!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts