Mens Tennis Forums banner

How many slams does Nadal need in 2012 stay in contention for 17 slams?

Votes: 1 2.2%

Votes: 11 24.4%

Votes: 26 57.8%

Votes: 7 15.6%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer has 16 slams, in case you missed it. If Nadal wants 17, how many do you think he 'needs' this year to stay on target for that. Of course, there is a chance he could get a lot more in future years (especially with Tomic/Raonic sucking on clay), so maybe he needs none this year. But what do you think Nadal needs in 2012 to 'stay in contention' for 17 slams?

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Nadal wins 3 slams in 2012, I don't think there is any chance of him winning less than 16. Probably has several Roland Garros titles left. Tomic will be tough to beat at Wimbledon in future however.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, he's already behind Federer in terms of slams at this age. So I don't see him catching up to Federer at all as he will age worse as well.
Problem with Federer's timeline of form is, he let himself go. Nadal is much more of a hard-worker and tries to add to his game. They are opposites in evolutionary nature. Nadal's prime years will last a lot longer. The gap between Nadal and Murray has never been greater than 2011, for example. Nadal is distancing himself from the field, making 7 of the last 8 slam finals.

Overcome Djok, and the floodgates will open.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This thread is pointless now... It would make sense at the beginning of 2011 though.
How is it pointless? Djok just took 6 hours to beat Nadal on Nadal's worst surface/Djok's favorite surface (just one month after Nadal switched to a heavier racquet, and after Nadal said he would not be able to adjust in time for the AO). There is a strong possibility that Nadal will win 2-3 slams this year. If that happens, that is awfully close to the record, given that Nadal would be in his PRIME entering 2013.

·
Premium Member
21,530 Posts
Just don't have another mental breakdown when Nole takes another slam. No idea how you are still not banned, probably mods took pity.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
3. Even with that, he may not surpass Fed.
If he wins two, he should hope someone other than Fed takes the other one. Fed increases his tally even by one or two, its chase over.

How is it pointless? Djok just took 6 hours to beat Nadal on Nadal's worst surface/Djok's favorite surface (just one month after Nadal switched to a heavier racquet, and after Nadal said he would not be able to adjust in time for the AO). There is a strong possibility that Nadal will win 2-3 slams this year. If that happens, that is awfully close to the record, given that Nadal would be in his PRIME entering 2013.
:rolls:

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
realistically he needs 2 this year i would say. the french looks on lock and all he needs is a shock loss or injury to djokovic and he is the big fave for any other slam.

federer himself got a bit lucky in 2009/10 when at the begining of it he seemed like he might struggle for another slam, very much being nadal's bitch at slams on every surface. then nadal got injured, djokovic was having serving woes and fed snagged a couple of extra slams.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK, I could somewhat agree with the first part. But a strong (?!) possibility that Rafa's going to win 2-3 GS this year? I highly doubt it. IMO the only one he could win is Roland Garros. Even Fed at Wimby and Murray at the USO have better chances than Nadal.

Conclusion, Nadal will never reach Fed's record of 16 Slams. None of the current players will.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just don't have another mental breakdown when Nole takes another slam. No idea how you are still not banned, probably mods took pity.
What did I do? Feel free to quote.

You've obviously mixed me up with someone else. I've had nothing but positive things to say about the AO final. It was a huge accomplishment for Nadal, a miracle of sorts, considering he didn't expect anything until after February with his newly weighted racquet. That explains his unmatched elation after beating Federer. The happiest he's ever looked after a semi-final.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Problem with Federer's timeline of form is, he let himself go. Nadal is much more of a hard-worker and tries to add to his game. They are opposites in evolutionary nature. Nadal's prime years will last a lot longer. The gap between Nadal and Murray has never been greater than 2011, for example. Nadal is distancing himself from the field, making 7 of the last 8 slam finals.

Overcome Djok, and the floodgates will open.
Last I checked Nadal was 5 years Fed's junior.

Yup, all Nadal has to do is overcome Nole. Losing 7 finals in a row - that's nothing. :shrug:

I voted '0' since it's one of the poll options for the lulz.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last I checked Nadal was 5 years Fed's junior.

Yup, all Nadal has to do is overcome Nole. Losing 7 finals in a row - that's nothing. :shrug:

I voted '0' since it's one of the poll options for the lulz.
Djok didn't look very convincing in that last meeting. Seems to be getting worse with each slam. Or Nadal is getting better (or both).

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He needs 7 more gifts from Fed (or Murray) to win 7 more slams.
I don't think Murray has ever benefitted Nadal at a slam. Nadal has never had the pleasure of facing Murray in a final. And when Nadal has beaten Murray in a semi-final, it has been a fairly long affair, as they trade lots of long rallies. Nadal would benefit from facing anyone else in the semis, rather than facing Murray.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Winning any of the last 3 finals would have greatly helped his chances.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, sure. Though ban wouldn't mean much I guess, soon you would come back as nadalwon2013 anyway.
You've either got me mixed up with someone else, or you are upset because I am not upset about the AO final? That's all I can think of. No post of mine has been deleted, that is a fact.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts