Mens Tennis Forums banner

How Many Roland Garros Titles For Nadal

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As i look ahead to Nadal`s infinite possiblities on his beloved red clay, i cannot help but think that only the sky is the limit for him.

consider this fact. it will be just one week past his 22nd birthday when he collects his 4th Roland Garros title this year. just one week past his 22nd birthday, that is. think about it.

he, effectively, has another 7 years to collect 3-4 more and immortalize himself on clay forever. and surpass the almighty god of clay, Bjorn Borg, in the process. he will easily play until he is 29.

here is the question: how many Roland Garros titles is he going home with. my own sense is that he will take home 7. that is 7 years to get just 3 more. it should be pretty damn easy for him. 7 years to get 3. how can he fail?

all he has to do is play his cards right and stay away from Maria Sharapova.

all kidding aside, he just has to stay healthy and keep making incremental improvements in his overall game. along the way, he is likely to bag a Wimbledon title as well.

thoughts?

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
Is this really necessary mate?

Reactions: RagingLamb

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a question the whole planet will be asking after he picks up his 4th title this year. you can make book on it. there will be no other topic.

do you realize that he is only the second man since 1914 to bag 3 straight French Opens. its a very big deal mate.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason I feel like he'll only be able to get six.

6 is good. 6 ties Borg. i can live with that. 6 French Opens and a Wimby title or 2 is an all time great as far as i am concerned. 7 is the lucky number. it has a nice ring to it.

some of the games greatest ever could not even get their hands on one French Open.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
all kidding aside, he just has to stay healthy and keep making incremental improvements in his overall game. along the way, he is likely to bag a Wimbledon title as well.

thoughts?
im not sure about that one , but it looks like he could go on winning RG forever.

7 or more :p definitely

VAMOOOOOOOOOS

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Actually now that I think about it he'll have 4 and only be 22. Thats really young, I'm changing my number to seven.

I think he'll be able to win 4 in a row, but in the coming years might suffer a few defeats there.

Really, I think the biggest questions is just, will he be able to hold up physically? If he's able to keep up the level on clay that he has now than the sky's the limit.

Unless of course Coria decides he wants the title, comes back, and wins without dropping a set.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually now that I think about it he'll have 4 and only be 22. Thats really young, I'm changing my number to seven.

I think he'll be able to win 4 in a row, but in the coming years might suffer a few defeats there.

Really, I think the biggest questions is just, will he be able to hold up physically? If he's able to keep up the level on clay that he has now than the sky's the limit.

Unless of course Coria decides he wants the title, comes back, and wins without dropping a set.

7 is very possible JimmyV. he just has to play his card right. its there if he wants it but he will have to maximize match play and practice on clay and minimize exposure to hard courts.

that is the only catch. he does that, he can stay healthy and keep improving a little. he must specialize and go the Muster route.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
We have already established that he will win 12 RG titles. It's all about bananas. They are much more evolved than 30 years ago. When Borg was playing bananas weren't as good which is why he retired at 26.

When Nadal eats bananas he's kind of like Popeye, complete with huge arms and stuff. His streak will stop at 12 when he loses interest and marries a Kennedy.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well, it shouldn't be hard to calculate. Before the next Roland Garros, Nadal will be 22. The average life expectancy for a male Spaniard is 76.46. Assuming Nadal averages about 1.3 Roland Garroses per year, he should win about 70.798. Round it up to 71, add the 3 he's already won, and he should win at least 74 in his lifetime. I say 74 minimum, because surely the life expectancy will increase by that time. Who knows, he might win 80+.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Well, it shouldn't be hard to calculate. Before the next Roland Garros, Nadal will be 22. The average life expectancy for a male Spaniard is 76.46. Assuming Nadal averages about 1.3 Roland Garroses per year, he should win about 70.798. Round it up to 71, add the 3 he's already won, and he should win at least 74 in his lifetime. I say 74 minimum, because surely the life expectancy will increase by that time. Who knows, he might win 80+.
Yeah and when Rafa gets new knees and a metallic hip his chances will skyrocket ever further. In fact he should get his entire lower body remade in metal so that he will not be able to feel any pain. He could win several French Opens every year.

I bet De Villiers will help make this happen.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have already established that he will win 12 RG titles. It's all about bananas. They are much more evolved than 30 years ago. When Borg was playing bananas weren't as good which is why he retired at 26.

When Nadal eats bananas he's kind of like Popeye, complete with huge arms and stuff. His streak will stop at 12 when he loses interest and marries a Kennedy.

makes perfect sense.:drink:

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Clay Death - did it ever occur to you that Nadal might not win another grand slam title period? Nothing is guaranteed in this sport. Federer might recover, Djokovic might show he's ready to be a real threat on clay, Davydenko is showing the best form right now. Who knows?

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Clay Death - did it ever occur to you that Nadal might not win another grand slam title period? Nothing is guaranteed in this sport. Federer might recover, Djokovic might show he's ready to be a real threat on clay, Davydenko is showing the best form right now. Who knows?
then why does your sig says "12 slams and counting"?

what sre you counting on if you can count on nothing. go ahead and take a quick look at your sig old sport.

the very last line proudly declares that there many more slams to come from Fed.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
agreed. nothing against the thread starter, but we've had a thread about "who wants nadal to win RG", "who will end nadal's clay court streak", "will nadal choke on clay too this year", "nadal vs. borg", etc. etc.

How many threads do we really need on Nadal? He's not that complicated.

And this isn't just with Nadal, but we have about 10 threads for Federer, and 10 threads for Djokovic all basically tackling very similar issues.

It just gets a little annoying after a while. And I fucking hate polls. after having spent some time around here I wouldn't poll MTFs opinion on anything that matters even a little bit. no offense.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Silly thread, sillier than my "golden slam" threads, because the golden slam thread involves just one year and we can with some justification project form one year ahead (although that's dubious too). If you're talking about multiple RG titles, you're talking many years, and nobody can project that far. People thought Monica Seles would smash Graf and win 20+ titles and it didn't happen (yes, it was a stabbing, but still it didn't happen). People thought Federer would match and easily surpass Sampras' record. That may yet happen but it is looking more and more distant at the moment.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts