Mens Tennis Forums banner

How many Grand Slams will Cilic win in his career?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He played some amazing tennis in USO14 to claim the title even though he wasn't tested by his worst match-ups, Djokovic and Murray.After that, he got injured and he's still not in good form. Do you think he can win more Slams or was it a fluke?

Cilic isn't old though, and he'll get back in form sooner or later. Can he and will he peak again in Slams(like Wawrinka)?

Do you think Cilic will win more Slams, and if so, which ones?

Also, try to predict his top ranking.

I think he'll win one more Slam and it'll be USO16, and I'll add a Wimbledon final. Top ranking, #5 in 2016.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Accidentally voted 2 but Cilic will just have the 1. It was the one and only. He barely even deserved it but he played well enough in just the 1 tournament to get it but he won't play at that level again.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
If they put him in Fedal's half next Wimb./USO/AO he would make another final at least.

But no way they put him there in Federer' or Nadal's quarter at Wimb./AO/USO ever again.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Yep, you got a vertigo if you want to make HC slam final and there are Djokovic, Stan, Nishi and co. in your way.

Much better if Djokovic, Stan, Nishi, Murray & co. are in another half and you and Olderer in the same as at USO'14, but with Murray soon to become no.2 it won't be possible, so for the next USO/AO it's Djokovic/Stan/Nishi/Cilic and there's no way Cilic wins the title even if he makes the final after such half.

You cannot get past Djokovic and this Nishi v.2 without long 5-setter at HC slam, Stanimal knows that very well and Fedal's sponsors too.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's not like he's consistently going deep at a few majors over the past two seasons (a la Wawrinka). How many semis has he made now in his career? Is it two (including the US Open win)? I just don't see this happening again...

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
It is miracle that he won that Us OPen..and will be remembered as weakest Grans Slam champion in tennis history
Making into the top 10 and the first GS SF at 21 is not that bad, neither winning the slam before 26th birthday, e.g. Wawrinka made into top 10 as 23 y.o. and the first GS SF as 28.

As I said, let them just put him in Fedal's half at USO/AO, instead of Djokovic' quarter as usual, and he'll make another HC SF and probably yet another F without breaking the sweat in the next 24 months.

The same is true for HC slam contenders Nishi and Stanimal, as neither of them will be lucky to escape Djokovic' half and land in Fedal's at USO/AO as long as Federer is top 4 or even if Federer fell out but Nadal got back to no.4.

The situation 24-36 months from now is anyone's wild guess, with at least a couple of young 95+ guns probably being ready for the slam F or even the title.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Maybe Wimbledon, but its a long shot. So far he's one of the worst slam winners achievements wise for sure, but his slam win couldn't be more deserved. You don't deserve your slam by what you do before and after it, in that 2nd week his performances were miles ahead of anyone else in the tournament, so obviously it was fully deserved.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
If he was consistently getting to QFs & SFs, like Stan, I'd rate his chances higher. That said, he's shown he can redline a Slam, so it's not impossible he'd do it again. But I think it's unlikely.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
If he was consistently getting to QFs & SFs, like Stan, I'd rate his chances higher. That said, he's shown he can redline a Slam, so it's not impossible he'd do it again. But I think it's unlikely.
Cilic made GS SF at the age of 21.5 and title before the 26th birthday.

Wawrinka made his first GS SF less than two years ago at the age of 28.5 and the title before 29th birthday.

Nishikori made his first GS SF(and F) last year before the 25th birthday.

These are current HC slam contenders which Nolandy and Fedal want to escape at all cost before the F, but only Fedal will be able to do so, because it's bery bery good for tennis and fans, no.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts