Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of being threats at the slams,YEC, Masters et. Could '12 be Roger's last hurrah? Maybe 2013 for Rafa. Depending on whether or not Nole can stay healthy maybe 2014?

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
I really believe Federer can be top 10 untill he's 35, 2016. It's more a matter of motivation.

Nadal 2013 or 2014 as the last year he can be relevant.

Djokovic has the magic egg, so I'm writing him down for 2016.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Federer will probably outlast Nadal, Djokovic I dont know.

Federer might play until his late 30s like Agassi, Nadal should retire in 2,3 years. Djokovic might have injury problems ahead.

I cant see them beeing top 3 still in 2014 to tell the truth, Nadal should fall by then. Murray might outlast Djokovic and have his best time when Djokovic and Nadal have their fall from grace.

Thing is the young generation in this era sucks, I think there will soon be a transitional era with avarage players winning slams like in early 00s. Federer might still have his chanses with easy draws like Agassi had in Australia in his early 30s.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

Federer might play until his late 30s like Agassi, Nadal should retire in 2,3 years. Djokovic might have injury problems ahead.

I cant see them beeing top 3 still in 2014 to tell the truth, Nadal should fall by then. Murray might outlast Djokovic and have his best time when Djokovic and Nadal have their fall from grace.

Thing is the young generation in this era sucks, I think there will soon be a transitional era with avarage players winning slams like in early 00s. Federer might still have his chanses with easy draws like Agassi had in Australia in his early 30s.

THIS

where are the young 18,19yrs olds pushing for top 10 rankings like we used to have???

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
THIS

where are the young 18,19yrs olds pushing for top 10 rankings like we used to have???
18, 19? We dont even have 22 year olds....

The next generation will be nothing compared to Nadal's or Federer's generation. I think it might be the lazy computer generation that didnt grow up playing outdoors coming up.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Roger will probably play on for another 3-4 years and still be in contention for slams. Djokovic and Murray should outlast Nadal and will be splitting some slams in the next 5-6 years. Nadal? Not sure given that he looks lost since going 0-6 to Nole in 2011...

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
18, 19? We dont even have 22 year olds....

The next generation will be nothing compared to Nadal's or Federer's generation. I think it might be the lazy computer generation that didnt grow up playing outdoors coming up.
Tennis is now so much more physical games. Even talented young players do not really get a chance until they fully developed their physicality.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Have seen better movement from federer this year than last. His backhand has improved and the serve has gotten better although less aces. He has emphasized improving his return game which i can say has been much better since basel. End of the day federer is more and more of an offensive player and that alone will keep him knocking at the door easily till end of 2013 and notably injury free based on his playing style.

Wheras nadal and djoker rely much more on defensive tennis which is much more detrimental to their health and grinding long matches I see it actually getting easier for federer to defeat them over the next few years as their bodies will break down and they will lose the ability to defend like they are and they will be injury ridden like most tennis players. Federer's playing style saves his body whereas the other two destroy theirs.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
JesusFed will go into the the future time, find meds for longer life and revitalizing and he will own till 2030...where he will finally retire with 88 slams.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
All the fed trolls at once. :lol:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This era of Federers, Nadals, Djokovics need a support in young guns. A reason is not to create a huge hole of nothing when they will consecutively slow down a little bit.

I hope, that young guns will make an impact in 2012, mainly Raonic, Tomic, Harrison, Stebe and Nishikori. But unfortunately, nowadays it is not only a question of talent, but also massive psysical ability.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
This era of Federers, Nadals, Djokovics need a support in young guns. A reason is not to create a huge hole of nothing when they will consecutively slow down a little bit.

I hope, that young guns will make an impact in 2012, mainly Raonic, Tomic, Harrison, Stebe and Nishikori. But unfortunately, nowadays it is not only a question of talent, but also massive psysical ability.
None of them are good enough or will be good enough to beat them ...EVER

·
Registered
59,055 Posts
Nadal is fading faster than Fed, no question. But Fed started fading first, so it's a question of whether Nadal gets worse than Federer before one retires. I rather think Federer will outlast him after last few months. Federer is at this point faster than Nadal

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts

The one reason why there aren't youngsters at the top of the game anymore - physical ability.

Unless we have another Nadal-type youngster where they are an absolute physical beast early on, we won't see any real youngster being a threat. The sole reason why youngsters were a lot more successful in previous eras was because of less emphasis on physical abilities. Many aren't able to develop their physical strength until their 20s. I think many coaches are still lagging a little behind in that department, as many of these kids that come on the tour come as skinny oddly looking boys despite having great tennis talent. Physical strength as we know is becoming more and more important every year.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Federer can still be relevant until 2016 or whenever, but will he? He's pretty much achieved anything he's wanted in tennis.

Nadal won't win much outside of clay for the rest of his career I feel, and probably only has a couple of years left in him.

Djokovic I dunno about. He's just peaking right now unlike Federer and Nadal, he will probably remain relevant for a while. But he's also sorta injury-prone. I think he'll stay good till around 2016.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nadal will fade first – mid 2013 at the latest – he'll be out of the Top 5.

Roger will follow a year or so later. Novak will be a year after that.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts