Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized today, when Murray broke Monfils in the 5th set, that I have too much emotional investment in this sport. For about a half a minute or so I felt like I was going to break down, and I punched a wall very hard and my hand is still hurting. :p Based on this and the fact the 3 players left in this tournament (apart from Gulbis who I like) are 3 of the most despicable players on tour, I'm going to try and cut down my interest in this sport.

So what about you guys? Have you ever got really angry watching a tennis match? Or do results not bother you too much? What is your worst experience watching a match? Discuss.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I don't get angry so much as I get disgusted

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I'm a lot more zen than I used to be. I remember watching the Wimbledon 07 final and losing my shit on a few occasions. Same with the Rafter-Agassi AO semi back in 2001 (?). Nowadays I mostly just feel a bit sad, walk away from the screen for a bit, then quickly put it in perspective.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
After Marcos gets beaten in a big match (these are rare nowadays) I'm usually depressed for at least 24 hours afterwards. I also get far too angry watching Murray and Nadal (who I despise) - but I wish I didn't. I could do without that poisonous hate running through me in all honesty.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just go out and catch some birds to snap their heads off. I like to imagine they're head's of players that iritate me.
It helps alot- that crunchee sound.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
When Davydenko missed that backhand in 2010, I wanted to destroy my TV.
hahahahahah This with the exception that i wanted to destroy my FATHER's TV :haha: It would have been 6-2 *4-1 up :haha: Davy :facepalm:

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
I realized today, when Murray broke Monfils in the 5th set, that I have too much emotional investment in this sport. For about a half a minute or so I felt like I was going to break down, and I punched a wall very hard and my hand is still hurting. :p
Uhhh, yeah, I think that qualifies as "too much emotional investment".

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After Marcos gets beaten in a big match (these are rare nowadays) I'm usually depressed for at least 24 hours afterwards. I also get far too angry watching Murray and Nadal (who I despise) - but I wish I didn't. I could do without that poisonous hate running through me in all honesty.
I feel exactly the same way man. I get really damn angry and then immediately after I take a look at myself and think "why the hell am I getting so batshit crazy about two guys I don't even know hitting balls at each other?". When you put it into perspective like that, it seems strange. Doesn't stop me getting mad again though.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
I went to the shop after Mugray lost the third set. Needed to take a break before watching the inevitable fifth set. I knew the fourth set would've been too frustrating to watch; only got back to see the tail end and it was indeed peak Shitray.

Though despite being a Murray fan, I was kind of muted when won Wimbledon, even after that endless service game. I celebrated louder when Berlocq bageled Berdych a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
i get pretty worked up. I am a very emotional person by nature, i wear my heart on my sleeve so my emotions to tend to get away from me.

i definately realize i invest in it to much emotionally. it does seem silly that i get so worked up over people i dont even know and will never meet.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm actually surprisingly calm, but i do get irritated.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I'm quite vocal and nervous when I watch if I have a clear favorite (like in any sport). After the match I don't really think about the result, whatever happens I don't worry or think about it, even if my favorite loses. It's annoying the moment it happens, after that it doesn't feel much like anything.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Each time I see Nadal in a tight match, reverting to his short balls opponent can have a feast on, I start screaming at my TV... "DEEPER YOU IDIOT! WTF ARE YOU DOING!??! But that's about it... Also when Fedal was big 5-10 years ago, would frustrate the hell out of me to watch Arroganterer hit aces after Nadal had to hit 20 balls before winning previous point.. No fair! :(

Now my frustrations are centred around Delpo. So much talent, even more frustration. Watching him requires a tall drink.. or two.. :drink:

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I broke the remote after last years shanghai final when i threw it across the room. And during the raonic/simon match last week i picked up a pile of papers on the table and tossed them. Raonic always instills alot of anger even when hes losing he still irritates me. Thats why i rarely watch his matches. I also yell at them when they miss an easy shot or something. But most of the time i just get upset for a little while before realizing how ridiculous im being.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts