Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Outside of Top 10

Votes: 7 17.1%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer turns 34 this year and Nadal turns 29. Their days at the top are numbered. While Federer is #2 right now, I think he will fall out of the top 5 permanently either this year or next, simply because his body will not be able to keep up with the younger players. I was expecting Nadal to stay top 5 for a few more years, but now I am not so sure. With his recent slump, how far do you think his ranking will fall this year? How he does in the French Open will be a huge factor.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
He won't fall lower than 5

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Federer turns 34 this year and Nadal turns 29. Their days at the top are numbered. While Federer is #2 right now, I think he will fall out of the top 5 permanently either this year or next, simply because his body will not be able to keep up with the younger players. I was expecting Nadal to stay top 5 for a few more years, but now I am not so sure. With his recent slump, how far do you think his ranking will fall this year? How he does in the French Open will be a huge factor.
Wat da fok r u talkin about? Federer will be #1 soon lol.. younger player? do you watch tennis? they can't touch Roger's B game, let alone his best tennis. :facepalm:

If Roger stays motivated he will be top 5 in his 40s. He is a supertalent and he doesn't rely on his physique like Nadal and Nole do, not even close.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
It all depends on his clay season. If his clay season is like his HC season has been he'll be out of the top 10. If he has a Nadal like clay season it'll be enough to keep him in top 5. If he has an average clay season he'll be 5-10.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Wat da fok r u talkin about? Federer will be #1 soon lol.. younger player? do you watch tennis? they can't touch Roger's B game, let alone his best tennis. :facepalm:

If Roger stays motivated he will be top 5 in his 40s. He is a supertalent and he doesn't rely on his physique like Nadal and Nole do, not even close.
:confused: :confused:

Nadal won't go lower than 6, 7 if the guys below him have a great clay season...

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
maybe like 7. I expect him to pick up some points during the clay season. we'll seeeeee

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
While Federer is #2 right now, I think he will fall out of the top 5 permanently either this year or next, simply because his body will not be able to keep up with the younger players.
I've been thinking this for a while now, and he does clearly struggle more in best of 5, but the guy is still so strong in tour events. Maybe by next year it could happen, but I think he's gonna go on at a high level for far longer than anyone expected. Easy to forget now, but people on here were calling for his retirement in 2013. Hasn't been a bad comeback really!

All about how Nadal does on the clay. Presumably much better, but the big question is whether he will find that dominant form again, as he eventually did last year despite some horrible losses.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
:confused: :confused:

Nadal won't go lower than 6, 7 if the guys below him have a great clay season...
I wasn't even talking about him.. :confused:

I believe Nadal will be back eventually, but I think he is going to drop to #10 right below Stan. His clay season will be the worst ever. His confidence is gone, his draws will (should) get harder and there are a bunch of players playing some great tennis right now. I really don't see him winning RG this year. He has always been the favourite until this year. Clearly behind Nole.

I've been thinking this for a while now, and he does clearly struggle more in best of 5, but the guy is still so strong in tour events. Maybe by next year it could happen, but I think he's gonna go on at a high level for far longer than anyone expected. Easy to forget now, but people on here were calling for his retirement in 2013. Hasn't been a bad comeback really!

All about how Nadal does on the clay. Presumably much better, but the big question is whether he will find that dominant form again, as he eventually did last year despite some horrible losses.
I think it's funny how some of you think Federer will start losing to younger players in the next 5 years. Who will start beating him more often? Do you really see the likes of Raonic, Kyrgios, Coric, Dimitrov dominating Roger if he decides to play in 2018-2019-2020. Will he suddenly 'forget' how to play tennis or become 80% slower on his feet?? It will take A LOT of improvement for them and a HUGE decline from Roger for them to start beating him on a regular basis.

Same story for Serena. These 2 have so much experience and confidence and more importantly they have the complete package (serve+power+versatility) They are also almost never injured (at least not for long periods). When Roger dropped to #6-8 in 2013 it was clearly because he wasn't training right. What a difference now..

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
It won't fall too far. His usual remarkable comeback will happen. Needs more sea water though.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

I do not think he struggles in BO5 if he is healthy. He played 3 5 setters matches last year one vs Gulbis at FO, F at Wimbeldon and one vs Monfils at USO. But his main goal was Wimbeldon and DC. One of his 5 sets match vs Gulbis lasted lasted as long as his 3 sets match vs Cilic in Toronto where / it was MS/ he needed to play Ferrer next day again 3 sets match. If it was in GS he has a day off.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
We won't get lower than #5-7 even when he performs terribly on clay. Its almost impossible to fall out of top 10 while having at least a pinch of talent.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,438 Posts
It's highly unlikely he'll fall out of the top 10 but I can see him as a low as 8/9.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
The funny thing is that those right behind him aren't seizing on this slump of his (Nishikori/Wawrinka/Raonic).If Nadal wins MC/Barcelona where he under-performed badly last year (only 270 pts in 2014) and with concomitant confidence boost out of it, he will likely be a top 4 seed for RG and goes deep there and we we will be talking about whole different season..I could see him regaining Top 2 after Cincinatti just as i could see him near to be out top 8 after RG :shrug:..

·
Registered
767 Posts
federer is not even in top 5 in the atp race and nadal is 9th, the future is not good for them

1 - 20 of 31 Posts