Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we approach the latter stages of Montreal, in which a Nole vs Rafa semi final is well and truly on the cards. Im wondering how long Rafa can stay ahead of Nole in the rankings?

Id say another 12-18 months, but I guess it could never happen seeing has Rafa has the clay season in the bag.

IMO Djokovic would be favoured to beat Rafa on most other surfaces, especially after seeing him beat Rafa earlier in the season.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i dont know, but i hope soon. if nadull gets injured during the claycourt season and misses a lot of those tournas it will happen a lot faster. it would be a nice change-up, too. most top players lose to him on clay, because of "nerves" as well, so what the heck. good players in general will have to realize that losing to nadal on a surface other than on clay is a must, too. and i hope wimbledon will decide to make the courts faster again not helping out nadull just to set up a ridiculous final with federer to keep tv ratings high, coz he clearly doesnt belong in the quarters, semis let alone the final there.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
i dont know, but i hope soon. if nadull gets injured during the claycourt season and misses a lot of those tournas it will happen a lot faster. it would be a nice change-up, too. most top players lose to him on clay, because of "nerves" as well, so what the heck. good players in general will have to realize that losing to nadal on a surface other than on clay is a must, too. and i hope wimbledon will decide to make the courts faster again not helping out nadull just to set up a ridiculous final with federer to keep tv ratings high, coz he clearly doesnt belong in the quarters, semis let alone the final there.

What a post!! Wishing injury on Rafa, and claiming Wimbledon slowed down the grass just for him!

Awesome stuff.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
Djokovic will catch up to him soon, if he does, he'll be in Nadal's position, trying to catch up Federer.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
What a post!! Wishing injury on Rafa, and claiming Wimbledon slowed down the grass just for him!

Awesome stuff.
Apart from wishing the injury, everything else is true.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Apart from wishing the injury, everything else is true.

Really? They slowed down the grass just to help Nadal out? What power the young Spaniard has!

I think Nadal will "fend off" Djokovic for another year or so. Maybe longer if he keeps getting cakewalk draws/opponents inexplicably hitting 4 times as many UEs than usual when playing him/surfaces being slowed purposely to allow him victories/being allowed to play on clay etc etc etc.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Really? They slowed down the grass just to help Nadal out? What power the young Spaniard has!

I think Nadal will "fend off" Djokovic for another year or so. Maybe longer if he keeps getting cakewalk draws/opponents inexplicably hitting 4 times as many UEs than usual when playing him/surfaces being slowed purposely to allow him victories/being allowed to play on clay etc etc etc.
Not for Nadal but for generally all the baseline huggers i.e the claycourters so they wouldn't get owned by the faster conditions which was a dumb idea.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well Nadal has a lot clay court points secure.

But Djoko could make it surprisingly close if he keeps reaching SF+ of Master Series all year.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
i hope wimbledon will decide to make the courts faster again not helping out nadull just to set up a ridiculous final with federer to keep tv ratings high
No idea if the poster really means this or is just trolling but this clearly suggest that the Wimbledon court was slowed down specifically to set up a Nadal-Federer final for the tv ratings.

generally all the baseline huggers i.e the claycourters so they wouldn't get owned by the faster conditions which was a dumb idea.
It's just a matter of having a different viewpoint on the same matter but keeping in mind the bitching and moaning about boring big servers in the 90s (ace, serve followed by shitty return, ace, ace....etc...TB....ace, ace), they slowed it down to prevent those big servers from sending people to sleep.

They didn't do it specifically to help out claycourters but in the end, it has helped them, yes.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Do you have to practice this stuff or does it just come naturally?

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's just so sad to me that Djokovic is the #3 most likely male to win a slam nowadays. Does that have anything to do with the thread? No. But I felt like adding it in anyway.

·
Registered
21,222 Posts
Who gives a toss about head to head. Even in the head to head 3 were on clay and one was were Djokovic was injured, and he still took a set off the dal.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well, I think you djokers should look at this
1-1 on Hard Courts...

5-1 makes it sound more lobsided than it is, Djoko retired in 2/5 matches, and 3/5 were on clay.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
1-1 on Hard Courts...

5-1 makes it sound more lobsided than it is, Djoko retired in 2/5 matches, and 3/5 were on clay.
True. :worship:

It would be very un-Spartanish to not accept the hard court H2H.

Personally, I think Djoke are Nadal are equally poised to win this one. Should be a very interesting match if it happens.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
:help:

Again: let's see what Novak does after THIS year...when the honeymoon ride is over. Every young up and coming player has a period of time when things don't come as easily as when the "burst" onto the tour. It happened to players like Boris Becker. It happend to Rafa following his run to the 06 Wimbledon final (where he did not win a title until IW this year). It even happened to Pete Sampras following his first U.S. Open win.

The first time out, tour veterans are not used the newbie's game. But then, the scouting report comes out, favored tendencies are noted, weaknesses are discovered, and adjustments (if possible) are made by the newbie. Yes, Mr. Injury himself is having a banner year. But before annoiting him as a challenge to Rafa on a consistent basis...let's see what he does next year. Let's not forget, even Brad Gilbert was ranked #3 in the world at one point.;)

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts
Every H2H invovling Nadal should disregard all clay matches, as he is such a legend on clay, it is hardly fair to the other guy to count it

1 - 20 of 79 Posts