Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
???

I just don't see it anytime soon. I know Tsonga didn't show up vs Kei but I can see him giving the other guys trouble if he makes it the quarters to get to the semi. Besides him, I just don't see anyone near that level yet, including JMDP or Berdych. Interested in your thoughts on anyone you could see being a surprise semifinalist in remaining 3 Slams this year.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Del Potro with a bit favourable draw at RG and US Open

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
The Berdych that played this week is good enough to make the semi's of RG and Wimbledon providing he has a good draw. Soderling is always going to be a huge threat for a great run at RG too and if Del Potro gets back to his best it's the same for him at RG and the US Open.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
The Berdych that played this week is good enough to make the semi's of RG and Wimbledon providing he has a good draw. Soderling is always going to be a huge threat for a great run at RG too and if Del Potro gets back to his best it's the same for him at RG and the US Open.
Roland Garros? do you seriously think that Berdych is going to make the semi's of Roland Garros........... :eek:

to name a few, Ferrer, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Del Potro, Soderling, Almagro- are all better clay court players than him so how exactly do you see this happening?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Roland Garros? do you seriously think that Berdych is going to make the semi's of Roland Garros........... :eek:

to name a few, Ferrer, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Del Potro, Soderling, Almagro- are all better clay court players than him so how exactly do you see this happening?
he did it once you know that rigth?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

Berdych has reached SF in RG and was incredibly close reaching the final. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
He made the semi's of RG without dropping a set, and it's not like he played mugs either. He destroyed guys like Isner (took Nadal to 5 the next year) and Murray (made the SF the next year) and Youzhny (who got back into the top 10 in 2010 and made the SF of the US Open).

Those first 5 rounds he played amazing tennis that would surely be good enough for another semi-final showing. If I remember correctly he also had the best service stats of any player that whole RG.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
He made the semi's of RG without dropping a set, and it's not like he played mugs either. He destroyed guys like Isner who respectively took Nadal to 5 and Murray who made the SF the next year too.

Those first 5 rounds were the best tennis I've ever seen Berdych play so he's more than capable on that surface. If I remember correctly he also had the best service stats of any player that whole RG.
these things happen and I am not doubting that Berdych had great form in 2010 at Roland Garros- he did. but clay is not certainly not his best surface. the players I mentioned prior are definitely all better on clay. I can see Berdych going the distance at Wimbledon but Roland Garros I just can't see it.

the stat you bring up is exactly right, his serve can be fantastic even on clay BUT it's not as though Berdych is one of the best movers around and it's even harder to dominate with his powerful shots on the baseline on clay since the opponents can retrieve so many balls.

maybe i'll be surprised. I would bet on him for Wimbledon not Roland Garros though

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
he did it once you know that rigth?
yes I am aware but the here and now is what i refer; he would have to find that great form from 2010 and clay certainly isn't naturally his best surface

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Berdych is one allrounder without a doubt, just like Del Potro.

Both have been born and raised on clay, while later on their game happened to be suited even better for hard.

If tennis was played only on clay, those two would be top 10 anyway.

Tbird has 2 titles and 2 finals on clay, just as much as he has on any other surface.

Back at the question - imo all the 4 giants are always semi final pretenders if fit and in decent form.

Berdych, Del Potro, Tsonga and Soderling - all have the game to win a quarter against any of the top 4 (here i would have said "except Rafa @RG, but remembered Soder :D ).

Behind and around them is the mysery. Ferrer could snatch smth somewhere against Muzza, but that's still in the small number % wise.

The rest have no chance for the moment. Neither Monfils, nor Tipsarevic, Raonic, in form Cilic, Fish, Almagro, Rodick, Verdasco, etc.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
When it comes to Roland Garros first thing is first:

1) Footwork.

Berdych can move around the court but he's kind of a stiff mover.

Someone like Del Potro whose at a similar height moves much more efficient.

So I fancy Del Potro's chances to make a SF at Roland Garros, only because Tsonga plays awful at Roland Garros.

Ferrer is the only other guy built for Roland Garros. Almagro might be a close 3rd etc.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
As Fed and Nadal didn't make all 4 semis last year, I don't think they will make them this year either.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Players need to work on fitness/athleticism, and consistency to break into the SF of a grand slam, or just be outrageously talented. I don't see anyone outrageously talented appearing on the horizon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts