Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agassi won his last slam at 33 and was able to make deep runs at the slams till he was 35.5 when he played fed in that 2005 US final. Agassi had a much more physically demanding game than federer and was injured a lot more especially with herniated disks in his later years. The level of fed I've seen since French 2011 is the best we've seen since AO 2010 and arguably even better than that. Fed's forehand is looking great and his backhand has been solid along with his serve. While his movement is not what it used to be it is still good enough to beat anyone.

How long do you see federer's game staying at this level a la french open/us open 2011? Haters will say his current level and movement will be gone by 2012. I feel if he is able to keep his iron man body free without injuries I would give Fed a minimum of 2 years to at least maintain his current levels and possibly till his 33rd bday. I feel the way federer moves on court and keeps his schedule has paid dividends in his later career by keeping his body nearly free of any serious injury.

Over the next 2 years if fed keeps his movement and nadal/djokovic continue to play like they do it will be intersting to see how their matches go. Fed's never was or at least didn't have to out basesline either of the two since his game is more attacking based. Once nadal/djokovic injuries catch up to them and they slow down in the next few years should be interesting to see. While fed may slow down a bit over the next 2 years, the amount nadal/djokovic will see will be more in that time period due to style of play/injuries.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
29,222 Posts
Ask Mirka.

OH NO HE DIDN'T

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
I think Fed can keep it up for another 3 or so years but really if he loses over and over to Nole and Nadal who I have no doubt he will have to play frequently next year, then I guess he's going to start considering retirement.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If Rafole fails in a random slam, Federer is still the clear favorite for the title.
To be fair, Agassi was grabbing slams in transitional era, facing prime Hewitt(lol), Roddick(lol), pre-peak Fed, aging Sampras, unstable Safin etc.

I want to make it clear- I believe new balls era was better in terms of tennis quality, but it was also easier to take a slam then, because most of the biggest talents of that period where completely inconsistent in slams.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things in tennis change so drastically year to year. Last year we had nadal winning 3 slams.... he gets injured in AO'11 and wins 1 slam... This year nole has been on a tear and won 3 slams. He is injured right now and probably won't play davis cup. It's likely he lets up during the end of the year. 2012 should be interesting. The odds are highly against nole having anything of a year compared to this year. Lets hope to 2012 being exciting. IF fed somehow can get his ranking up to 2 and nadal becomes 3 they won't put fed and nadal in a half at a slam and will be fed's best chance to win a slam next year. Let's see what happens.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
I think 2012 is his last chance.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
A couple of more years. He was one ace away from getting to the finals. If someone takes out Nadal (and it can happen) before the finals, he could have a pretty good shot.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Agassi won his last slam at 33 and was able to make deep runs at the slams till he was 35.5 when he played fed in that 2005 US final. Agassi had a much more physically demanding game than federer and was injured a lot more especially with herniated disks in his later years. The level of fed I've seen since French 2011 is the best we've seen since AO 2010 and arguably even better than that. Fed's forehand is looking great and his backhand has been solid along with his serve. While his movement is not what it used to be it is still good enough to beat anyone.
It's a bit of a myth Agassi had a more physically demanding game. He got fewer free points on his serve & came into the net (even) less, but he had worse defence than Fed & relied even more on dominating opponents with fierce groundstrokes from both wings. Federer does just as much running as Agassi, if not more. But Federer has been far luckier with injuries.

As for his level of play, you're forgetting how good he was post-Wimbledon 2010 right up to Doha this year. His fuck-up at Wimbledon this year & blow-outs in Toronto & Cinci are way worse than that.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Federer is not retiring anytime soon. He is patiently waiting for his opportunity; He is waiting for a slam where both Nadal and Nole get knocked out, and he knows in that case the slam is his. After all, Fed waited for YEARS at the French Open, and after all that waiting the opportunity presented itself. Nadal got knocked out early and Fed won the French Open.

The only problem with the waiting game is that it might not happen. Nadal and Nole might never get knocked out before Fed (not both of them anyways), and so in years of waiting for the opportunity that never came, Fed will collect more embarrassing/humiliating losses not just from top players, but from low ranked players, too, thus tainting his legacy as one of the greatest ever.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
The game has become very physical. I doubt he can play for slams beyond 2012.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Federer is not retiring anytime soon. He is patiently waiting for his opportunity; He is waiting for a slam where both Nadal and Nole get knocked out, and he knows in that case the slam is his. After all, Fed waited for YEARS at the French Open, and after all that waiting the opportunity presented itself. Nadal got knocked out early and Fed won the French Open.

The only problem with the waiting game is that it might not happen. Nadal and Nole might never get knocked out before Fed (not both of them anyways), and so in years of waiting for the opportunity that never came, Fed will collect more embarrassing/humiliating losses not just from top players, but from low ranked players, too, thus tainting his legacy as one of the greatest ever.
Yeah. Because all the losses Rod Laver had in 1975 have really "tainted his legacy".

Djoker's success is scrambling your brain.

And by the way, Fed has recently beaten Djoker in a slam. He'll do it again.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Roger Federer wasted 2 set lead to Djokovic and 2 match points....that is why I doubt he will ever again beat him in a Slam...Novak will never doubt himself again against the GOAT

·
Registered
934 Posts

:lol: players as they get older will keep on losing to much younger and fitter people. This will not taint his legacy. I think history books will remember how insanely dominating Federer was from 2004-2007. Nadal was dominating in 2010 but could not defend his non-clay slams. Djokovic is dominating this year but we'll see what happens next year. Just because people on MTF remembers only what they choose to remember, doesn't mean the history books will be the same way.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Roger Federer wasted 2 set lead to Djokovic and 2 match points....that is why I doubt he will ever again beat him in a Slam...Novak will never doubt himself again against the GOAT
It's got nothing to do with Djoker's mental state. Djoker can't handle Federer's game when it's on. Simple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts