Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very negative relationship with my father. At this moment we have no connection. And I WANT to have a positive relationship with my father VERY MUCH. By the way my mother pass away and my father marry another woman.

·
Your visions will happen
47,119 Posts
Not the best for a long time, grew up with my mom

Though in recent years we have gotten along much better

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,610 Posts
I'm the other way round. I really should treat my father much better than I do.

The guy works tirelessly for the family. He is very patient and understanding and always wants the best without being overbearing.
I still live at home with him. It's a blessing from God to have two parents who care for you so much and teach you well. A lot of life lessons you get from dad and I really should be more attentive and caring.

It's never too late in my opinion to show how much you care. Unfortunately it can be difficult when your stage of life and perspective is quite different.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Very good relationship with him, although I'm a lot closer to my mother than my father.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Very good.

He's been dead 25 years.
Was not so great when alive, but death improves things.

But in retrospect, I see him as a better man, and see so much of him in me.
There is something in Nadal's face that looks like my dad, though I can't put my finger on what exactly.

·
Registered
21,395 Posts
I've never met my father, which I reckon is better than knowing and hating him or going through a divorce

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It's okay. The relationship is regressing slowly though (working hard on it). He is very stubborn regarding his view of many aspects in life, which clashed a lot with mine. But sometimes I feel like it's my fault not to understand the fact the older people find it extremely hard to change their opinion. Another thing I feel like the more I learn about my parents, the more I feel that my dad punched above his league when he married my mom. I feel like my mom can get much more (and happier) if she married a more suitable person (she's extremely smart both head and brain), but she is in fact happy with him so again I feel like i'm so judgmental about my own dad.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Not sure what to make of this tbh.
Just that there's a resemblance of some sort, even though technically they don't look alike.
There's also a resemblance, at a different age of Nadal's, to one of my brothers, and even one of my boyfriends.
All in Nadal's face.
And all these men in my life, my brother (not the son of my father) my father and my boyfriend looked nothing alike, yet I see all of them in Nadal.

I'm extremely fond of him for all kinds of reasons.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I have a very negative relationship with my father. At this moment we have no connection. And I WANT to have a positive relationship with my father VERY MUCH. By the way my mother pass away and my father marry another woman.
Maybe this will change when you get older ... and he gets older too.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Pretty neutral. We have and always had like zero common interests and both are introverts. So you can imagine our conversations. We've never been close, and never been enemies. And we never had a heart-to-heart talks. Even though he is pretty good human being, I find his overall greediness and laziness as motivation to be better.

·
Registered
21,224 Posts
Just that there's a resemblance of some sort, even though technically they don't look alike.
There's also a resemblance, at a different age of Nadal's, to one of my brothers, and even one of my boyfriends.
All in Nadal's face.
And all these men in my life, my brother (not the son of my father) my father and my boyfriend looked nothing alike, yet I see all of them in Nadal.

This is one of the most incredible posts I have read on the forum. Thanks for posting.

My sincerest condolences to all of my fellow members in this thread who have mentioned that they have lost their father.

·
Registered
21,270 Posts
All in Nadal's face.

This is a bit too much really

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
My father left my 4 sisters and brother alone in Syria with their mother, and built another family in Algeria with my mother.

They migrated in France in 1970 when I was an infant.

He was a veteran retired French soldier and was playing tennis most of the time (was a finalist in Benicarlo satelitte (ex Future))

Apart when I was making sport (handball or tennis) I had no way connecting to him, maybe because he got me very old (50) maybe because he was himself a bastard rejected by his father family (he was the son of the Spanish servant) maybe because he did not know how to do with kids, maybe because the secret of his previous family (I learnt it at 30) was to heavy for him.

He died when I was 15.

I mean they are no guideline to be a good parent and when aging I began to understand we all made our best in life with our own strengths and limits.
Once you accept it, life is much simplier, not fighting with things that can not change.

But better is to try improving relationships when possible and make a step in the other person's direction (you can not change other people, you have to accept them with their own limits), because when the other passed away you stay with guiltyness and regrets.

So take the good where you can take it (like Sport for me and my father), try to avoid provocating or entering conflicts if you feel he is not ready to change (he is for sure not the father you dreamt about so analyze what he really is do not fantasize him), and MAKE YOUR OWN LIFE for god sake.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My dad was the best father, he was the good cop and my mum the bad cop growing up. He let us basically get away with anything, especially when my mum was not around i.e. no curfews, we could practically sleep out the whole weekend, drive the car, not clean the house, play hooky, etc. In hindsight, I am somehow glad my mum was there as a disciplinarian, otherwise we could of grown up without any order or structure, letting things go your way. Only when I was an adult did I realise what my mum was trying to do. Sadly my dad also passed on, but I really don't have a bad memory of him, even spanking or saying no to pocket money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts