Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just the sport moving along and changing which allows other players to have time in the spotlight rather than there being an age issue and a short prime duration for players. A good example is Bernard Tomic. His game style is not so conducive for success in these conditions and may take a long time to break through. He might be the most promising of the young crop according to many folks and also pundits, but he's already 21 years old and hasn't broken into the top 10 yet...

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/thespin.aspx?articleid=16080&zoneid=32

''Meister
Northernboy Bernard Tomic is 21 years old, everyone locally from his home town on the Gold Coast knows this. Nothing new here, age cheating means nothing once you get to senior tennis, but in his junior career he got lots of opportunities and easy wins because of it.
His OFFICIAL birthday is 21 October 1992, but no birth certificate was ever lodged with Tennis Australia. The OFFICIAL Tomic family explanation was that it was lost when they moved to Australia many years ago. I have a friend who's son is 21, Bernard went to the same school and same grade as my friends son. Watching Bernard in local junior tournaments since he started playing, it was clear to everyone that he was always way taller than his so called same age peers. Yes people grow at different rates, but he was always exceptional bigger than even the biggest.
Finally it was only two years ago that Bernard deleted one of his two Facebook accounts. One of them had his REAL birthday on it, the current one has his FAKE birthday on it. Ask anyone with tennis knowledge in Australia and they will tell you exactly the same. Tennis Australia pumped to much money into him, the reason the turn a blind eye to this.
On another article a few days ago, "dalethewhale" wrote a reply to this:
LOL i just went to 2nd google entry under a "facebook bernard tomic" search. and guess what. there is a facebook blurb that reads: RECENT ACTIVITY Bernard Tomic edited his Birthday, Website and Personal Information. Interesting, very interesting, i think I am a believer...lol''​

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
Maybe it's just the sport moving along and changing which allows other players to have time in the spotlight rather than there being an age issue and a short prime duration for players. A good example is Bernard Tomic. His game style is not so conducive for success in these conditions and may take a long time to break through. He might be the most promising of the young crop according to many folks and also pundits, but he's already 21 years old and hasn't broken into the top 10 yet...

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/thespin.aspx?articleid=16080&zoneid=32

''Meister
Northernboy Bernard Tomic is 21 years old, everyone locally from his home town on the Gold Coast knows this. Nothing new here, age cheating means nothing once you get to senior tennis, but in his junior career he got lots of opportunities and easy wins because of it.
His OFFICIAL birthday is 21 October 1992, but no birth certificate was ever lodged with Tennis Australia. The OFFICIAL Tomic family explanation was that it was lost when they moved to Australia many years ago. I have a friend who's son is 21, Bernard went to the same school and same grade as my friends son. Watching Bernard in local junior tournaments since he started playing, it was clear to everyone that he was always way taller than his so called same age peers. Yes people grow at different rates, but he was always exceptional bigger than even the biggest.
Finally it was only two years ago that Bernard deleted one of his two Facebook accounts. One of them had his REAL birthday on it, the current one has his FAKE birthday on it. Ask anyone with tennis knowledge in Australia and they will tell you exactly the same. Tennis Australia pumped to much money into him, the reason the turn a blind eye to this.
On another article a few days ago, "dalethewhale" wrote a reply to this:
LOL i just went to 2nd google entry under a "facebook bernard tomic" search. and guess what. there is a facebook blurb that reads: RECENT ACTIVITY Bernard Tomic edited his Birthday, Website and Personal Information. Interesting, very interesting, i think I am a believer...lol''​
I hope you do not believe that conspiracy theory.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Ages is only important when Olderer loses a match :rocker2:

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
Very good response so far to the thread, I'm pleased! Anymore insights?
What did you expect on MTF? :lol:
Back to your topic, age is really important. Tennis players usually have a really short career. Peak years are from 23 to 27-28. They don't have much time and that's why it's crucial to breaktrough around 18-19 if somebody wants to be big one day.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Did you see some of those ridiculous winners Rafa was hitting from on the run in the 2nd? That completely turned the match around, ALL age

·
Registered
802 Posts
What did you expect on MTF? :lol:
Back to your topic, age is really important. Tennis players usually have a really short career. Peak years are from 23 to 27-28. They don't have much time and that's why it's crucial to breaktrough around 18-19 if somebody wants to be big one day.
Much needed wisdom provided by a kiddo . Ignored .

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's an interesting question. I've always wondered why people consider federer old, when he's 30? Look at other sports, kobe bryant is still very impressing, even zanetti from inter is very very solid. And they are way older than federer too. Federer is clearly not as fast as he was in 2004, but he is still freaking fast! And I just don't think it's fair that all federers losses are because of his age, which is just 30.. . I know age is a very important factor in tennis, especially in this era, but at 30 u just can't blame everything on age me thinks. So yeah, age is important, but differences just can't be this big at 30 as people here keep saying

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you could have said so much more if you tried a bit hard.
Yeh I could say more but I mean what can I say that's useful. I'm still hurting now over the loss, maybe many people here will think that's totally lame, but it hurts. We need to look forward and hopefully Fed does too... he's resilient.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's an interesting question. I've always wondered why people consider federer old, when he's 30? Look at other sports, kobe bryant is still very impressing, even zanetti from inter is very very solid. And they are way older than federer too. Federer is clearly not as fast as he was in 2004, but he is still freaking fast! And I just don't think it's fair that all federers losses are because of his age, which is just 30.. . I know age is a very important factor in tennis, especially in this era, but at 30 u just can't blame everything on age me thinks. So yeah, age is important, but differences just can't be this big at 30 as people here keep saying
Tennis is a way more physical sport and it favors the youth. 24-27 are the winningest years in tennis, very few greats have won slams past the age of 30. Besides, this is a solo sport - if you don't play, you don't get ranking pts and you don't get money. With team sports, if you're injured you can take a rest and your teams can maybe carry on a couple matches without you. Tennis is just way more grueling overall.

But I think Federer's problems with Nadal is way more than just age. It's very mental and a match up issue. I think his losses to Tsonga and Djokovic last year at Wimbledon and USO are partly because of age because he was getting dog tired and he wouldn't have lost those matches at his peak, but with Nadal it's a different thing.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeh I could say more but I mean what can I say that's useful. I'm still hurting now over the loss, maybe many people here will think that's totally lame, but it hurts. We need to look forward and hopefully Fed does too... he's resilient.
yeh , thanks man . that was a bit comforting . lets hope fed gets to 20 slams by 2013 end :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts