Mens Tennis Forums banner

Where is Cuevas heading?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pablo Cuevas is currently reaching his best level during his career. The 29 year old reached the 21st ranking place in late march and currently sits at 23 with a good shot at number 20.
What do you think can he go up further during the clay season? He is defending Bastad and Umag later this year.

His possible best level of play can be seen in this video:

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Watch out Djokovic!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
He could break the Top 20 with a good run at the French. (probably wouldn't stay there long though as he has two titles to defend in July)

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
If Lopez got to #12 then that's the best ranking I could see Cuevas being at.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
If Lopez got to #12 then that's the best ranking I could see Cuevas being at.
He would need to be a threat outside clay, just like Feliciano was/is... and I'm not sure if he is capable of...
Top20 is the best what I can see for him.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cuevas did one of the most amazing come-back of those last years. It's crazy he didn't get the award of the ATP last year.
What a year he just had. 3 titles, 1 final. After two long years without playing in a period that could've been the peak of his career...
I hope he'll do well at the FO.
What he already achieved (win his first titles, improve his best ranking, almost beat Nadal on clay...) deserves so much respect considering from where he comes back. I think he has a good shot for top 20 :yeah:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
He's currently ranked 22 so I don't see why he can't nudge top 20. To get top 15 though He'll have to do better in the bigger events and do better on other surfaces.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Needs to improve his return of serve and game outside of clay. Probably reached his ceiling as far as ranking goes though.

·
Registered
22,433 Posts
Exactly #16.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think he'll trickle into the top 20 before declining away. He won't trouble the top 16 though unless he makes a big run at a major clay tournament.

Still, it's just great to have a half-decent Uruguayan again, which I don't think there has been since maybe Filippini.

·
Registered
690 Posts
He could break the Top 20 with a good run at the French. (probably wouldn't stay there long though as he has two titles to defend in July)
I'm not sure if I misread the poll but that's why I voted he wasn't going to break the top20 this year. He's got two opportunities to do that: Rome and RG. Gonna be tough. If he can't, then he definitively wont do it anymore this year.

Next year he'll probably join the top20.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Pablo Cuevas is a very good clay player. Some of you said that Dimitrov will have a practice match against Pablo but i still think Pablo is a better player than Dimitrov. That is why Federer was so happy when he won against him in Istanbul.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts