Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently Nadal is 34-12 with two titles and no majors. The closest to this outcome he has been in his career is 2004, when he was 30-17 with one title. His year-end ranking was 48. Now, where is Nadal? Could he make a similar transition this year to the next, like the move from 2004 to 2005 when he went 79-10 with eleven titles and French Open champ? Unlikely. This is too big a jump for him. But it is expected he will do better than his current 74% winning percentage.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,989 Posts
Currently Nadal is 34-12 with two titles and no majors. The closest to this outcome he has been in his career is 2004, when he was 30-17 with one title. His year-end ranking was 48. Now, where is Nadal? Could he make a similar transition this year to the next, like the move from 2004 to 2005 when he went 79-10 with eleven titles and French Open champ? Unlikely. This is too big a jump for him. But it is expected he will do better than his current 74% winning percentage.
Cue a certain tennis commentator claiming he will sweep the NA HC season :cool:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Imo, the only players who I'd pick over him are the top 3 plus healthy Nishikori. Stan is pretty up and down and the rest are fully paid up members of the bend over brigade.

This isn't including grass or indoors though.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
The good news for Rafa is that he has virtually no points to defend from here until the end of the season. I do expect his ranking to rise and his form to recover at least partially. I'm not expecting much but I think he will produce at least a few respectable wins.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
might win Stockholm

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Not that different from last year tbh. Still struggling with pressure of being a GOAT.

·
6,747 Posts
Not that different from last year tbh. Still struggling with pressure of being a GOAT.
Considerably worse than last year, esp when you consider he made the AO Final (unlucky for him injury stopped any chance of winning), and still won the French.
His lead up form on clay to last year's RG was granted, still inconsistent, but not as bad as this year.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
He will do nothing of note this year. If Nadal is to have one last hoorah similar to Sampras. It will come 2016--2017. Once everyone's written him off.

Like all great champions. They only lose once they drop from a certain level. Nadal is no different. If Nadal walked into the U.S OPEN this year and played like 2013. He walks away with his third U.S OPEN. It's as simple as that. But Nadal is unlikely to ever see that form again. For him to even win a masters now will not be easy.

His game is one of power and speed. Father Time takes those from a player FIRST. And sadly that's what's happened in the last year and change.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Cue a certain tennis commentator claiming he will sweep the NA HC season :cool:
Rafa is Rafa, and he doesn't always follow the script. Had he never been out with injury and his body was always able to go where his mind is. The man would have 18 slams by now. No question about it he would have beaten Federer again at Wimbledon 2009. Probably taken the U.S. OPEN 2012. And the AO 2013.

He may still have one great one left in him. But it won't come this year. Nadal was always destined to go SLAMLESS this year. No player can win a slam every single year. He did it for 10 years in a row THE RECORD. So this is why I haven't totally closed the door on him winning one more.

You can ALWAYS TELL FICKLE PEOPLE. While someone's winning they go along with the flow. As soon as they're not. They are quick to dismiss and write off that player. Forums are littered with such fair weathered beings. BUT you must always hold judgement. If Nadal does NOTHING next year. Then you can say he is done, it's over. But the usual fickle crowd are quick to dismiss.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
No appendix, no GS.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,989 Posts
Rafa is Rafa, and he doesn't always follow the script. Had he never been out with injury and his body was always able to go where his mind is. The man would have 18 slams by now. No question about it he would have beaten Federer again at Wimbledon 2009. Probably taken the U.S. OPEN 2012. And the AO 2013.
His body sustains injuries because he runs ragged every point. If he didn't play like this, he wouldn't have as many injuries. But then he probably wouldn't have as many slams either, so I think it's worked in his favor.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
His body sustains injuries because he runs ragged every point. If he didn't play like this, he wouldn't have as many injuries. But then he probably wouldn't have as many slams either, so I think it's worked in his favor.
Well this is true. Injuries are the plague of many atheletes. We've been. Denied some truly great record breaking performances because of them across many sports.

Nadals history is made for the most part. He has said himself he never dreamed of winning this much in his career. So anything he adds from this point is simply a bonus now.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it is highly plausible that we have seen the end of the once dominant Nadal. He will still be a force to be reckoned with, but perhaps his days of winning slams are over. I have to tell you, it was Nadal who single-handedly brought me back into following tennis. Back in 2005, I think it was the U.S. Open (maybe the French Open) where I noticed him for the first time, making waves and beating some very good players. I think it was at the French that year that Nadal won seven--that's right, SEVEN--matches to win the crown, and he beat Federer in the semis to boot.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't know, let's ask the tennis astrologists. Where is tennis commentat to clear this up for us?

·
6,747 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it is highly plausible that we have seen the end of the once dominant Nadal. He will still be a force to be reckoned with, but perhaps his days of winning slams are over. I have to tell you, it was Nadal who single-handedly brought me back into following tennis. Back in 2005, I think it was the U.S. Open (maybe the French Open) where I noticed him for the first time, making waves and beating some very good players. I think it was at the French that year that Nadal won seven--that's right, SEVEN--matches to win the crown, and he beat Federer in the semis to boot.
Winning 7 matches in row is actually quite normal, in the process of winning a Grand Slam that is.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know, let's ask the tennis astrologists. Where is tennis commentat to clear this up for us?
You mean McEnroe?

·
Registered
695 Posts
He's awesome right now. No agonizing watching of 45 seconds of picking ass between each serve.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
He will do nothing of note this year. If Nadal is to have one last hoorah similar to Sampras. It will come 2016--2017. Once everyone's written him off.

Like all great champions. They only lose once they drop from a certain level. Nadal is no different. If Nadal walked into the U.S OPEN this year and played like 2013. He walks away with his third U.S OPEN. It's as simple as that. But Nadal is unlikely to ever see that form again. For him to even win a masters now will not be easy.

His game is one of power and speed. Father Time takes those from a player FIRST. And sadly that's what's happened in the last year and change.
uuhhm NO!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts