Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
19-year-old former #1 in Juniors. Won his first Futures event last month and reached his first Challenger final last week, pushing Galan to three sets in the final. Ranked #376 now. Great forehand, rally shot as well as hitting winners from it, can suddeny pull the trigger with it in a neutral rally. Serve is improving with every match. Backhand great as a rally shot, but lacks winners on it. Volleys and overheads need a lot of work. But to me he seems the real deal, will march into the top 100 within a couple of years. He actually lists his favorite surface as hardcourt even though his biggest successes have come on clay, so that's a big positive

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have been following his matches last week at the Challenger in Lima. I was surprised how well he could handle the pressure especially in the SF as he had never passed the second round of a challenger before last week. I really like his forehand. In the final, he was even a break up in the third set against Galan, but the experience of the Colombian finally prevailed. I think he has the potential to become at least a top 100 player and maybe more but the road is still very long. He won't get any WC to progress fast like the young American, French, German, Italian or Spanish players do.
Together with Sebastian Baez and Facundo Diaz Acosta, he is among the best Argentinian prospects. The 3 players are 19 years old.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was very impressed with his game at the Lima challenger event. When he defeated Pedro Sousa 6-2 6-1 in the first round, I thought that maybe Sousa had tanked, but then Tirante kept going like that until the final match. Nice powerful game, very good defense and fighting spirit. He's still rough around the edges, but I will be surprised if he doesn't reach top 100 in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been following his matches last week at the Challenger in Lima. I was surprised how well he could handle the pressure especially in the SF as he had never passed the second round of a challenger before last week. I really like his forehand. In the final, he was even a break up in the third set against Galan, but the experience of the Colombian finally prevailed. I think he has the potential to become at least a top 100 player and maybe more but the road is still very long. He won't get any WC to progress fast like the young American, French, German, Italian or Spanish players do.
Together with Sebastian Baez and Facundo Diaz Acosta, he is among the best Argentinian prospects. The 3 players are 19 years old.
Curundolo? 22 and rankied above all of them, very close the the top 150

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
He could have beaten Galan in that final. Think the smash he missed at 30-30 or 30-15 when already leading a break changed the outcome of the match. Great forehand indeed.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Curundolo? 22 and rankied above all of them, very close the the top 150
Francisco Cerundolo is promising as well, top 100 potential as well, easy power and huge forehand, he needs to improve his fitness and move around the court better and then he could go far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts