Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, he is one of the least talked about young players to break into the elite for a long time, which is surprising because he was so prodigious at one time. I really like watching this guy play on clay and his ranking is really good. He has largely gained his points in tournaments people don't watch too much, other than Bercy QF's. He is probably behind a bit in terms of hard court development because he had to grind challengers on clay for a bit longer than expected to reach the top 100.

How good is he now?

Can he be a top 10 guy?

Clay masters champion?

Roland Garros contender?

Already peaked?

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
How good is he now?
Pretty good

Can he be a top 10 guy?
Possibly if keeps good schedule

Clay masters champion? Maybe in future but for now just a SF

Roland Garros contender?
Last 8 probably

Already peaked?
No way

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
How good is he now?

Can he be a top 10 guy?

Clay masters champion?

Roland Garros contender?

Already peaked?
I really like his game too on clay, he's one of those young guys (at 23 I still consider him young) you can pretty much call a natural claycourter.

The problem is, he's not been a real danger outside of clay. His hc game is neat and all, by which I mean he's not at all useless outside of clay, but at this stage it's still hard for me to see him winning anything major outside of clay. While he's still young, he may well be able to turn that around in a few years.

I don't see him as a top 10 contender though in the future either, more likely top 20.

Clay masters champion?
Why not, I definitely think he'll be able grab a title or two.

RG contender?
Very much so in the future, I think, but not saying he'll necessarily be able to win RG (or any other slams for that matter). Still, I'm not at all totally ruling out the possibility of him winning a RG title one day, since Domi's older than him, there aren't so many good claycourters among the youngsters at the moment etc.

And no, I don't think he's peaked yet.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
He is very good on clay, has made a lot of progress mentally, but I guess the mental side will still be an issue for him if he reaches the latest stages of some big events. He could reach a SF in RG at some point, and a SF or Final on a Clay Master1000, but I don't think he is ready yet for this, maybe in one or two years. Still, I don't see him winning such tournaments. He should enter the top 20 soon and might reach the top 10 at some point of his career.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garin is actually 6-0 on clay this year, although his previous results in January were underwhelming.

In my opinion Garin is a consistent enough player with great points preparation and without any evident weakness (maybe he can improve in S&V, but he was never gonna be that kind of player anyway), which makes him a dangerous player for anyone in the tour. The problem is that he doesn't have a big weapon that allows him to win points for free so he usually has to struggle a lot for every single point, game, set and match. Therefore, he'll probably suffer in GS and that will limit his rise in the ranking. Maybe RG is his best bet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts