Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Fed have served under arm.

• Yes, you do what yo gotta do to win and it is 100% legal

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No, his clean image is more important.

Votes: 5 41.7%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The video and photo sums it up but let me just ask you whether you think it was worth it for Roger to give up his squeaky clean image by hitting underarm serves against Nadal. And I am talking about putting even more spin on the ball than Gulbis did in this video. I was a player myself who beat ATP ranked players in futures, and I know you can hit it even shorter and with much more spin than Gulbis did. If Fed did that to Nadal he would win the point every time Nadal stands that far back, mess with Nadal's rhythm, and intimidate him. So why did he not do it? It is 100% legal.

Discuss.

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
:lol: Not sure if trolling

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
Because he is a gentleman

·
Banned
923 Posts
Fed and mind games go hand in hand about as much as Dull and Fairplay

·
Registered
979 Posts
Probably because he didn't need to do it. Federer can pull off any shot he wants: it will always be a mystery why he doesn't hit some inside in forehands to stop Nadal moonballing his backhand to death.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Nadal and his Tio Toni always thought their only obstacle to greatness is Federer. That is why Nadal has never had a bad day against Fed and will do everything to win vs Fed. With Djokovic it was different . Novak was not a big problem for him to 2011 but
things slowly has changed. Novak became better than ever and way more stronger than Nadal. Now he sees Novak got more weeks at #1 and he feels that Djokovic is younger than Fed and could dominate tour as Fed and Nadal has never done it as them. If Djokovic beat him at FO in SF or F it does not matter it could " kill" Nadal and he maybe will retire / but i am not sure/. It will be very interesting clay season.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Probably because he didn't need to do it. Federer can pull off any shot he wants: it will always be a mystery why he doesn't hit some inside in forehands to stop Nadal moonballing his backhand to death.
It's much more difficult to change direction on a top spin ball

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
It's much more difficult to change direction on a top spin ball
what hahahahahahah ... nope .. it's more difficult to change direction on a sliced shot not topspin shot

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
I honestly think this guy is onto something.

And I'm not just saying that to make a pun.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

The video and photo sums it up but let me just ask you whether you think it was worth it for Roger to give up his squeaky clean image by hitting underarm serves against Nadal. And I am talking about putting even more spin on the ball than Gulbis did in this video. I was a player myself who beat ATP ranked players in futures, and I know you can hit it even shorter and with much more spin than Gulbis did. If Fed did that to Nadal he would win the point every time Nadal stands that far back, mess with Nadal's rhythm, and intimidate him. So why did he not do it? It is 100% legal.

Discuss.
LOL .. Wanna play?

Federer has tried every trick in the book but still failed.

Nadal is simply a superior player ... Get that into your collective heads please !!

·
The Last Mohican
24,731 Posts
In theory it's good, but I don't know if I could respect Roger if he did this even against someone as grotesque as Na dull. It's like an underarm bowl in cricket before it was against the rules.

Roger would be stooping down to Na dull's level if he did these tactics IMO.

Roger is so much better than that.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
In theory it's good, but I don't know if I could respect Roger if he did this even against someone as grotesque as Na dull. It's like an underarm bowl in cricket before it was against the rules.

Roger would be stooping down to Na dull's level if he did these tactics IMO.

Roger is so much better than that.
He will have to stoop up if he wants to come to Nadal's level. :)

·
The Last Mohican
24,731 Posts
He will have to stoop up if he wants to come to Nadal's level. :)
Wrong, chief. From up here on Mount Splendor, you (flyer) would have to supply Roger with a hand glider to reach Na dull in the chasm of despair.

But anyway... I think I made my point. I'm sure a good chunk of Roger fans would agree.

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts