Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Brand new member here; looking forward to sharing some discussion with you all.

I just started a new segment on my Youtube channel where I analyze some of my absolute favourite matches, see how the players interact, what goes into their strategy, and how one player overcame the other. I had to start with this iconic Federer vs. Nadal match. I mean, as a Fed fan myself, this is one of those beautiful fairytale matches you'll never forget. I hope you enjoy this!

· Premium Member
18,916 Posts
BH + believe/mentality were keys. BH did not crumble, as much as Nadal tried to apply pressure to that wing as per usual. BH worked wonders also at the Sunshine Double.

· Registered
8,299 Posts
Federer won the 3rd set 6-1 but he to me was just as emphatic in the 5th as Nadal eked out those 3 games by 1 break of serve followed by a truckload of consecutive service holds where Federer held break point after break point.Nadal barely held his service games and Federer kept his foot on his throat by coming over the ball on his backhand and directly it sharply to Nadal's forehand in the corner.

Fed continually kept up the pace in the 5th and never stopped coming at him and was rewarded for it.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Federer won the 3rd set 6-1 but he to me was just as emphatic in the 5th as Nadal eked out those 3 games by 1 break of serve followed by a truckload of consecutive service holds where Federer held break point after break point.Nadal barely held his service games and Federer kept his foot on his throat by coming over the ball on his backhand and directly it sharply to Nadal's forehand in the corner.

Fed continually kept up the pace in the 5th and never stopped coming at him and was rewarded for it.
Agreed 100%. We usually don't see this much aggression and determination from Fed, but boy did it pay off.

· Your visions will happen
59,924 Posts
Federer in the biggest moments of the biggest match of his career vs lifelong rival, he stepped up and attacked cross court vs the Rafa FH and come out on top. He took his weakness to his opponent's strength for the first time in 20 years and he made it happen

That's why he's currently the GOAT, well #2 after Laver

· Administrator | Wikidrawbot
11,319 Posts
You have quite a relaxing voice and I was able to update some teaching stuff by listening to your voice only since I know every rally of that set already. Keep up the great work and please comment the Wimby final ‘19 last set’s crucial points (bps Fed/Djok, 40-15 and TB) in case you’re able to do so.

Left a like and a sub there

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Federer in the biggest moments of the biggest match of his career vs lifelong rival, he stepped up and attacked cross court vs the Rafa FH and come out on top. He took his weakness to his opponent's strength for the first time in 20 years and he made it happen

That's why he's currently the GOAT, well #2 after Laver
It was really that 'nothing to lose' mentality that carried him through, imo. He left it all out on the court, and was going down trying until the bitter end either way.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found 2006 return in 5th set. He was all over every serve from 1-3 it was unbelievable. I assumed Nadal was serving badly when watching live on no sleep, but it wasn’t even the case.
Exactly! Fed wasn't really missing any returns unless the serve was incredible, but even so, Nadal wasn't playing badly at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.