Mens Tennis Forums banner

How does the weather affect Djokovic vs. Nadal's outcome on clay ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2013-2014 it was heat and looks like it affected Novak. Tomorrow the weather will be average: 20 C and some clowd..
Or may be weather's effect is exaggerate in this rivalry ?

·
Registered
22,064 Posts
If it's heavy and wet, it'll help Novak. If it's hot and sunny, it'll help Nadal. This can be clear in their 2012 match up where the conditions were helping Novak in the 3rd set when it was heavy and wet, while the next day, which was sunny and hot, helped Nadal.

Heavy and wet means lower bounce, hot and sunny means higher bounce.

I see, chances of light rain tomorrow. More heavy and slower conditions, should benefit Novak.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Wet multiple breaks per set. Dry three sets but closer. Djokovic the winner of course. This match will be a non event.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I think the dry conditions and not too much sun and heat will be perfect for a tennis match. It gives no player the obvious advantage, but then again, I don't think that the weather would affect the outcome of this match anyways. There are so many other (player controlled) variables that will decide the winner that come way before weather. Like overall Nadal playing on a level not seen this season or Djokovic breaking down miserably.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
the weather in paris has cleared, it is pleasant and dry, and tomorrow it will be marginally cooler than today. perfect for tennis, and markedly less hot than on their last two meetings. so less bounce and spin than in those matches.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Nadals topsin forehand bounces even higher on hot clay than on average clay. So the opponent has to take his backhand even higher above shoulder heighth.
Also personally nadal has said in interviews that he likes sunny and hot conditions.
Its also clear that Novak doesnt really like very hot conditions. I believe he once quit a match on the AO 2009 against Roddick over very hot conditions because of heat illness.

Weather is not completely decisive for the outcome. But in a long and close match in can at the end turn the favour to one another.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
This year Djokovic wins. Weather is irrelevant.
Although umpire should not allow Nadal to bully him to stop after No1e wins 8 games in a row.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Unless it's like New York Nishikori, it won't really change anything. I'm sure Rafa's knees will work better on a hot day, but he will be destroyed anyway.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Almost doesn't matter? WTH? Ask Monfils and Federer if it almost doesn't matter. Hell, ask Nadal and he'll tell how it matters.

It's like they had two courts close to each other while one being faster and with a higher bounce and the other court slower and with a lower bounce. It wouldn't matter right? Anyone that plays on clay know how it can play so differently depending on the weather that day or the previous day.

Moderate weather will affect the match moderately but a extreme weather (hi or low) will affect it extremely.

Still, even ignoring how the weather definitively changes how the clay behaves, no human being alive can beat Nadal in a BO5 clay match on a +28ºC day. I'd say 25ºC is the limit.

·
|
15,332 Posts
It has to be PUDDLES to help Djokovic - remember when they kept playing in 2012 despite the puddles and soaked balls.....that was a lot more than wet clay.
Also very few people remember this but when they resumed the next day there was some light rain, and Nadal broke back immediately and went from being down 0-2 to winning the 4th set (and match) 7-5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts