Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is one of the more Underrated Slam Victories of 2010 onwards.

Djokovic in this year was actually in great form. He had yet to have the slump of 2017 , won AO.

Also Wawrinka had a pretty decent draw, but not a complete cakewalk. He got to play some epics and made Del Potro cry.

BUT!!!

Watch this. There was no excuse for Djokovic in this match, Djokovic looked clueless again against a peaking Stanimal who had no fear on that day.

Please watch

I know a lot of people Lionize FO 2015, but US Open 2016 was a pretty impressive performance from Wawrinka.

Reactions: hammett

·
Your visions will happen
51,425 Posts
Pretty epic, very high level vs Djoker, Nishikori, Del Potro, Verdasco, save MP vs Dan Evans in the 3rd round.

I agree, Djokovic game was not good. 2 retirements, a walk over, and still he lost sets vs Monfils and Janowicz

Real problem was Murray getting gonged vs Nishikori, and Pouille beating Rafa 7-6 in the 5th. Of course, Federer was injured as well with the surgery

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty epic, very high level vs Djoker, Nishikori, Del Potro, Verdasco, save MP vs Dan Evans in the 3rd round.

I agree, Djokovic game was not good. 2 retirements, a walk over, and still he lost sets vs Monfils and Janowicz

Real problem was Murray getting gonged vs Nishikori, and Pouille beating Rafa 7-6 in the 5th. Of course, Federer was injured as well with the surgery

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Djokovic slump started after he won FO that year and while he still made the final, he was pretty mediocre the whole tournament but had pretty much the easiest path there. Wawrinka was strong but not as good as his FO 2015 self, his performance there was just fuckin insane.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Nah, blatant revisionist history.

Djokovic was in shit form.

One of the less impressive slam wins we had in the last decade, I'd say.

But yea, he lit it up last 3 rounds.

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wawrinka was on point for Del Potro , Nishikori and Djokovic.

He was in peak form vs. all of his opponents. Even Djokovic in "shit form" had peak Wawrinka blasting backhands

·
Registered
22,257 Posts
Nothing to write home about.

OP's usual Big2+Wawa nuthugging (–Djokovic which he hates somehow) is tedious.
I had discussions after the match here in the result thread why this wasn't such a well-deserved victory; but the Fedtard horde and a few Dulltards kept re-iterating the opposite.
I just don't care anymore, people have their interests and stupid fanboyism... though getting objective wouldn't get you out of line, just showing common sense.

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing to write home about.

OP's usual Big2+Wawa nuthugging (–Djokovic which he hates somehow) is tedious.
I had discussions after the match here in the result thread why this wasn't such a well-deserved victory; but the Fedtard horde and a few Dulltards kept re-iterating the opposite.
I just don't care anymore, people have their interests and stupid fanboyism... though getting objective wouldn't get you out of line, just showing common sense.
Djokovic fans could show an inkling of respect to Wawrinka.

Big 2 is basically Djokovic and probably Nadal, Nothing is going to stop him from becoming the GOAT of tennis.

Look players get injured , but is there any Wawrinka victory you would like to concede? Or are all of them injuries?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Watch this. There was no excuse for Djokovic in this match, Djokovic looked clueless again against a peaking Stanimal who had no fear on that day.

Please watch

I know a lot of people Lionize FO 2015, but US Open 2016 was a pretty impressive performance from Wawrinka.
These are highlights, it looks better than the actual match, I remember it pretty clearly and it was not that great. Even 2013 semifinal was better.

·
Registered
22,257 Posts
Look players get injured , but is there any Wawrinka victory you would like to concede? Or are all of them injuries?
This is the ONE victory I would not concede at any time, at any costs. All others are valid, but just not this one.
Nuff said.

·
justice for all
18,099 Posts
Stan wasn't at his best during that tournament.
But who cares, he still got the job done and denied faker in the final.
That's all that matters.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Still remember Kei Nishikori leading a set and a break in the semi before collapsing, I was really hoping he would be playing against Juan Martin Del Potro, would have most likely exposed him at this stage of the tournament.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Wawrinka's form was up and down the whole tournament but he found a way to turn it on for most of the last three matches, e.g. the last set against Del Potro was a thing of beauty. In terms of mentality, this tournament is probably the best performance of his career. What is also hardly mentioned is that he was pretty much on his last legs going into the final, having played tough four setters in every round after that epic Evans match.

There is a video of the whole match on youtube. He had a really poor start to the match and could have lost the first set 6-1, but he fought his way into the match and was exceptionally clutch, except for the first set tiebreak which also happened to be one of Djokovic's best parts of the match. Djokovic's path to the final was a joke but there have been many of those in slams in recent years, and his form in the 2nd half of 2016 isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Sure, he wasn't really in it mentally and had minor injury issues but he still won Toronto and made WTF final pretty easily. If he was really that shitty back then and still had those results, then what does that say about the rest of the tour?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I remember the final very clearly and it wasnt a high quality match. I know the conditions were tough - very hot and humid - which probably affected both guys.

Stan had many ups and downs in this match. Very poor start, I believe he went two breaks down, came back to force a TB, which lost easily. Second and third set had big leads and blew them away but then broke at the end of each set to take them. Fourth set was all about Pedicurovic.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Wawrinka's form was up and down the whole tournament but he found a way to turn it on for most of the last three matches, e.g. the last set against Del Potro was a thing of beauty. In terms of mentality, this tournament is probably the best performance of his career. What is also hardly mentioned is that he was pretty much on his last legs going into the final, having played tough four setters in every round after that epic Evans match.

There is a video of the whole match on youtube. He had a really poor start to the match and could have lost the first set 6-1, but he fought his way into the match and was exceptionally clutch, except for the first set tiebreak which also happened to be one of Djokovic's best parts of the match. Djokovic's path to the final was a joke but there have been many of those in slams in recent years, and his form in the 2nd half of 2016 isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Sure, he wasn't really in it mentally and had minor injury issues but he still won Toronto and made WTF final pretty easily. If he was really that shitty back then and still had those results, then what does that say about the rest of the tour?
Stan Wawrinka was close to cramping in the 4th set, and before the start he was crying and shaking with nerves in the locker room.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Also a fact I remember from the commentators, it was Mats Wilander :) at the start of the 1st set tie breaker: Stan Wawrinka needs this set badly, we know Novak could always win from a set down, Stan probably not.
We know how this turned out :D

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I clearly remember Wawrinka being in absolute ruins just before the final. The pressure was enourmous, Wawrinka knew it was his only shot to win the tournament, and he could not stop crying.

He went out on the court, and playing some shitty first games.

Then, against all odds, the Stanimal appeared.

The rest is history. Epic match, although I think we saw the true peak of the Stanimal at the FO in the final against Djokovic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts