Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should clay get an electronic review system?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Umpire just made another unimaginably bad call in Nadal's favor (2-2 0-0), where the ball was visibly out to the naked eye. That's like at least 15 bad calls, confirmed by Hawkeye, in the last 3 days. It's been on many important points (in Fed's favor yesterday for one). How do tennis authorities still not see this as a problem?

To all those who say, "Hawkeye isn't perfect on clay," it could hardly be worse than these calls we're getting now.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I bet they'll eventually adopt Foxten, which I've heard is significantly cheaper. It's also kinda cool in that it provides video footage of the ball as it makes contact with the court, so you get the "real life" perspective as well as the computerized one.

One day all tournaments will have automated line calling.

·
Registered
57,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thread keeps getting recreated :/
As discussed loads of times, for clay Hawkeye would need multiple daily calibrations, making it unreliable.
Why would the new version that the NY Open used (which I don't think is technically hawkeye) not work?
Masters and Slams could afford to make any necessary accommodations in any case.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just because hawk eye says it is wrong, doesn’t necessarily mean it is. We assume hawk eye is correct because we can see it and it is binary, in or out. I trust the umpire and the real mark more.
Anyway the players don’t want it and they are the ones who supposedly lose out

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Hawkeye's margin of error is 3.6 mm while Mourier or Steiner have a margin of error of 2 meters (especially when Nadal is playing). IMPLEMENT IT.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Every year we get a couple of these threads, it seems. At any rate, hawkeye is too cumbersome on clay for multiple reasons, but Foxtenn sounds promising, and is probably more accurate, too. Will take probably a couple years to get installed, though. Or decades.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
it´s cheaper to check the marks and train better umpires and besides, it would not solve all wrong calls

In the courts that HK is implenented there are also awful umpire mistakes either because nobody noticed it or because players ran out of challenges

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I saw a lot of calls in Madrid that didn't match up with Hawkeye as shown on the TV coverage. Even with Hawkeye the players can still only challenge until they are out of challenges so wrong calls are going to continue to happen sadly. What really bothers me about Hawkeye is the Tournaments that have it, but not on all courts. So whether players can us Hawkeye depends on the court they are on.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Just because Hawkeye isn’t 100% doesn’t mean it’s not better than flawed ass umpires. That’s like saying driverless cars aren’t worth it because they’ll cause fatalities sometimes (at a fraction of the rate of human drivers).

It would take 30 minutes at the beginning of a match to configure Hawkeye for clay. Not overly cumbersome at all. Lame excuse. At least use it for semifinals and finals.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I am asking myself same question all the time.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
A couple of controversial calls in an RG final and we’ll have it. As of now, there’s no real call for it.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
It is because the margin of error outside clay is 3mm and in clay it is even bigger. Even hawkeye people has said this, hawkeye doesnt have the calibration to include the way the ball bounces on the clay courts. They had it years ago and it has been proven that it is off. The only valid technology is knowing where the ball mark is.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
More MTf clueless ness in this thread

they don't use hawkeye on clay because it's not accurate enough given how clay shiftt throughout the course of a match.

This is a fact.
It isn't that they prefer to have the ump look at marks.
So when you see hawkeye (or whatever system is being used) snapshots of the bounce, they aren't trustworthy enough to make the call. They do not have the same high percentage of accuracy these systems have on HC or grass.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts