Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you are Michael Youzhny, aka the Colonel, and you have an opponent. In order to win the match, you need to win a game. What's your game plan?

You are Tommy Robredo, you have been playing for 15 years on the top level of the ATP, you got to play a mediocre tennisser. You got no special serve, your forehand isn't a magical thing, your backhand is OK considering you hit it with one hand, you don't like to play aggressive, so you won't need to volley a lot. Still, you want to win. What do you do, that gets you into the top 20?

I seriously don't get it. Do these guys have the best ROS in the game, or is the rest of the field just plain stupid?

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Um, what? You win by winning more sets than your opponent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, but I don't get it. Guys like Youzhny and Robredo, while they don't occur to do anything special, seem to recover from injury within a year, get back to the top 20 like it's not a accomplishment at all, and all the 'big talents' like Dimitrov, Dolgopolov, etcetera need years and years to get close to the top 20, and have even more trouble remaining their ranking.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I actually understand the OP. No effing clue m8.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I understand the question. Robredo is physically and mentally stronger than much of the field. Youzhny has no obvious weaknesses and is difficult to play against because of the variety he incorporates. A combination of these factors make Youzhny very difficult to get into a controlling rhythm against. Both players have styles that, in their own ways, put their opponent under more pressure than they would be against many other opponents.

Very basic explanation there.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Youzhny is talented and has nice tactics. Robredo has fantastic defense and mental skills, his FH is also nice. It's not a big surprise, that they're doing so well.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I understand the question. Robredo is physically and mentally stronger than much of the field. Youzhny has no obvious weaknesses and is difficult to play against because of the variety he incorporates. A combination of these factors make Youzhny very difficult to get into a controlling rhythm against. Both players have styles that, in their own ways, put their opponent under more pressure than they would be against many other opponents.

Very basic explanation there.
I don't think this thread deserves such a well thought out answer.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Youzhny and Robredo are older and have much more experience than young players, they have more consistency. So, they will go deep in a lot of tournaments throughout the year gaining more points and climb up the ranking. So, they are very talented but the media do not want to highlight old talent that do not have major slam achievements but tend to highlight the young talents who seem to have bright future and great potential to win major titles.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Players like Robredo are part of the strong and deep 32 year old generation of players. Even now they field as many players in the top 100 as the 26 year old peak players.

So they'll generally win games [matches] against any opponents generation, except the peak player generation and their own where they are likely to have mixed results.

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 18 of 18 Posts