Mens Tennis Forums banner

How do you rate the Olympic gold medal:

• More imporant than both WTF and Masters 1000 tournaments

Votes: 45 49.5%
  • Less important than WTF but more important than Masters

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • Less imporant than both WTF and Masters 1000, but more important than ATP 500

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • It's equal to an ATP 500 tournament

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Who cares about the Olympic gold medal

Votes: 5 5.5%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd say less important than a Masters 1000 tournament. A competition that has no history in tennis. A competition that was won by Nicolas Massu. It's always annoying to me when I see that somebody says, for example, "Rafa hasn't won WTF, but he won the Olympic gold medal. Federer and Djokovic won many WTFs, but they don't have the Olympic gold medal. It's true that Murray has won much less Grand Slams titles than the other 3 members of the Big 4, but he has the Olympic Gold medal" etc. For me, just above ATP 500.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I don't know, I have a feeling it became really important in 2008 only.
In 2008 and 2012, I'd rate Olympics at the same level as World Tour Finals. Before 2008, somewhere between ATP 500 and Masters 1000 I guess.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'd say less important than a Masters 1000 tournament. A competition that has no history in tennis. A competition that was won by Nicolas Massu. It's always annoying to me when I see that somebody says, for example, "Rafa hasn't won WTF, but he won the Olympic gold medal. Federer and Djokovic won many WTFs, but they don't have the Olympic gold medal. It's true that Murray has won much less Grand Slams titles than the other 3 members of the Big 4, but he has the Olympic Gold medal" etc. For me, just above ATP 500.
I guess it depends how much you value your country in a sporting sense...or how much you value a player in how they try for their country, one on one directly.

To some it's worth a slam...to others, next to nil. That goes for Players/Fans alike.

If I was a an ATP player I'd place it above a masters but less than a slam...maybe finals level.

At the end of the day, only the person that has that medal knows what it means to them.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It is more important than a grand slam in my opinion. That's when a player represent not only himself but his nation as well + you have a chance to win it once every 4 years, unlike a grand slam where you have 4 chances in a year. I am still bitter that Nadal won that gold in 2008 because of Nole's laughable smash.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Anybody who knows anything about tennis know that it is completely irrelevant. Small draw, blah. Tennis was not even played at O for so long. There is a good reason for it. I'm not gonna go and try to explain all of this history stuff. Read about it. It's on the net.

I'll watch any tennis match anywhere because I love our sport. What some people fail to understand is that tennis just doesn't belong there ... Again, 4 years, small draws ... I'm not sure why anybody gives a fuck.

Make is a 128 draw and I might watch it ;). Give players 3000 points for the win ,,, nah, not good enough. Every freaking 4 years :smash:.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Glorified Masters tournament.
The fact not all the best players are allowed to play doesn't help either.
The fifth ranked Spaniard can't play the Olympics. Big deal.
What cheapens it is all these international invitations. Bolivia and Namibia have to be somehow represented in the draw.

Most players would rather show a gold medal to their grandchildren than a Paris-Bercy trophy.

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
What do you think people, whether they are fans or players, care more about - who won the Olympic Gold Medal in 2012, or who won the Rogers Cup played right after it? When players talk about career goals or plans for the next few years, are they more likely to mention their desire to play in or win the 2016 Olympics or to play in or win the 2016 Madrid Masters? The answer should tell you everything you need to know about how the Olympics stacks up against an individual Masters tournament.

I would rate it around the level of the WTF - obviously a slam is a slam (and there is a very clear consensus on what tournaments are the majors now and how prestigious they are, unlike decades past) and nothing beats that, but Olympics and WTF are the next level. WTF is special because of the format and the fact you have to face only the best players of the season, while Olympics probably gains significance because of how rarely it comes along and because of its exposure in the wider sports world.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Anybody who knows anything about tennis know that it is completely irrelevant. Small draw, blah. Tennis was not even played at O for so long. There is a good reason for it. I'm not gonna go and try to explain all of this history stuff. Read about it. It's on the net.

I'll watch any tennis match anywhere because I love our sport. What some people fail to understand is that tennis just doesn't belong there ... Again, 4 years, small draws ... I'm not sure why anybody gives a fuck.

Make is a 128 draw and I might watch ;). Give players 3000 points for the win ,,, nah, not good enough. Every freaking 4 years :smash:.
Anybody who says this is denying the evidence of how seriously the players themselves take it nowadays. Things change.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I don't know, I have a feeling it became really important in 2008 only.
In 2008 and 2012, I'd rate Olympics at the same level as World Tour Finals. Before 2008, somewhere between ATP 500 and Masters 1000 I guess.
This sounds about right. The importance of an event is determined by how much the players value it. Personally, I'd rate the WTF higher because it theoretically more difficult to win, but if the top players value Olympic gold more, then that's the bigger event.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Less important than WTF but more important than Masters.

Look a olympic medal is for lifetime and it draws much more attention than a Masters 1000 trophy. For casual tennis fans Olympics is even more important than WTF. But real tennis fans know WTF > Olympics

1 - 20 of 107 Posts