Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you perform under pressure, be it in sports or e.g. exams? Are you clutch or a choker?

I think there are three different scenarios:

1. A completely routine task
  2. A challenging task within my skills
  3. A task above my skills
I may fail in a completely routine task under pressure if I have my thoughts elsewhere thinking I'll routine this. But if I stay focused, I'll never fail in that task.

A challenging task within my skills under pressure keeps me focused. That's why I usually do them up to my level and don't choke in them.

A task above my skills usually ends up in a fail under pressure. By those tasks I don't mean something impossible but something you can't do on a regular basis. In comparision to those challenging tasks I mentioned above, you can do those those challenging tasks if you're just focused enough. But when I need to do something I can't do on a regular basis, then it's even more likely to fail when there's pressure.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Depends on the task and context. Usually stay pretty cool. Especially with a woman.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Depends on the importance of the issue.

If there's only slight pressure, then I perform decently. I may think later, "Oh, I could've done X differently.", but it doesn't make too much of a difference.

If there's a good amount of pressure, then I'm absolutely awful. I completely freeze up.

However, in circumstances with extreme pressure I'm usually at my peak. I almost get sent into this elongated adrenaline state that makes me feel like a beast.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
I perform like Robin Haase.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Success or failure is not the goal but if you go down, you better take half the planet down with you.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
It depends on the situation. In sports and other more physical stuff, I haven't noticed that much of a difference, under pressure is pretty much the same results as in practice. With things like exams or public speaking, I'm much better under pressure (and also more nervous). Not sure why. :shrug:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
i look confident on the outside. And that's what matters.

Works my way often, sometimes i fail (just recently ended a tough match with a DF, which was painful, but 3 days later killed a 3h presentation in front of 30ppl, while being very tense inside, so i guess it depends).

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
The effects of pressure are all linked to the level of preparation you do for a task. I don't let pressure affect me in exams because I practice and study a lot, meaning I can repeat the routine I perform under no pressure, when I am indeed under plenty of pressure. If you don't practice enough, you won't be able to repeat the routine effectively enough. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. That's how the saying goes.

The same thing applies to sports. The only sure fire way to get more 'clutch' is to make sure your technique is absolutely rock solid under no pressure in practice, so you can do it in a match situation on 'autopilot' when your mind is focusing on the pressure itself, and not on the technique as it would be under no pressure.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
If the task is easy --- > somehow excelent
If the task has a moderate pressure ---> BAAAD , BAAAD DOG !
If the task is an impossible thing in our universe ---> I do it like a boss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts