Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time catches up with everyone as we have seen with dominant players who get older and start losing more.
When the time comes when Djokovic, Murray and Nadal will hit 30+ how do you think they will fare?
Do you think they will still beat all the younger guys coming up or do you think they will start struggling to make it deep into GS? Which player do you think will decline first?

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Still winning, specially Rafa and Nole (on a lesser degree). Cant say for murray, he isnt that consistent..

And you cant compare Rafa with murray..... what would be decline for rafa could be considered success for Andy.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
can't see Nadal playing past 30 or 31. knees legendary problem for him, back starting to become a reoccuring issue, just would be shocked if he played well past 30

Djokovic- seems to have great fortune with health, could see him playing well at 30+
same with Murray, if only to make up for the poor start of his career in slam finals and end it with a bang- he also has less mileage

in the end all players seem to decline drastically at 30+ (except apparently if you have a legendary trainer likes Gilles for Agassi)

even Federer, whom had bizarrely great luck with health and injuries prior to 30, dramatically dropped in level at that point and onwards into today

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Considering that the current crop of young ones is the worst we have seen in a very long time, it's highly likely that Nadal, Murray and Djokovic will be adding to their major count in their mid thirties. That is of course if they are still playing.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think if they control their atp tour and reduce some match every year,
all of them can play until 35, Nowadays medical tech is improving a lot.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
I doubt Nadal will be doing much. He's been winning Slams since he was 18. It would be an almost unheard of prime if he were still doing so at 31/32. I sort of expect Rio 2016 to be his swansong.

Djokovic has had luck with health but he's also been around a long time and relies on flexibility alot which is one of the first things to go with age. Plus he's going to be married with a kid in a few months and that will change his mentally. He'll add a few more Slams over the next 2-3 years but I also don't think he'll play long into his 30s.

Murray has the best chance for longevity but that's assuming the back doesn't become career changing. He's rebounding well so far.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The thing is they are so much better than players in their early 20s that even though they will decline they will probably win slams into their 30s. Fed may have had the "weak era" but he got old in the strong era. Nadal et all will get old just as the 'weak as piss era' begins

I have visions of Nadal hobbling to his second ever defeat at Roland Garros in 2019 and MTF going into meltdown

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Nadal won't be winning slams at 30+ it's easy to tell has lost that extra pace he had last year can't see him holding up, Even in the interview after Rome he said his legs weren't responding well :ahah:
Djokovic quit Tennis after AO 12 :) He'll probably play till 32 or so
Coric,Thiem,Kyrgios needs to develop but not many youngsters.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I know for a fact Nadal will retire early. There are many red flags and reasons but we will not discuss those. Nole will have 3 kids by then. Murray will probably retire soon. Look at the style he plays. He slows down a bit or gets injured again and again .. who knows. Not of the players you mentioned have the style to maintain their level in their 30s without some help

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
Djoke will learn his lesson from his meltdowns by ending the unserious non-stop clapping & cheerleading applause for nadal, fed and Murray. No more big talk with no action. No online chat room. No more bizarre poor efforts in preparation before French open, us open and Wimbledon.
No more fedal worship and fantasies of French open perfect weather and health perfection.

No more partying and energy wasting in matches . If there were many McEnroe interviews, he would get McEnroe to shut up for once. McEnroe doesn't need to live through djoko.
Being a child at 30 would be stupid again.
He got away with childishness, excessive ball bashing in practice and sluggish long matches that caused injury, and letting the weight gain slow him down last year.
Too many things triggered the implosions.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Nole has said many times he does not plan to play past 30. I don't know if he is serious but didn't think Safin was serious but he retired earlier than I thought.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
The thing is they are so much better than players in their early 20s that even though they will decline they will probably win slams into their 30s. Fed may have had the "weak era" but he got old in the strong era. Nadal et all will get old just as the 'weak as piss era' begins

I have visions of Nadal hobbling to his second ever defeat at Roland Garros in 2019 and MTF going into meltdown
2nd defeat ? Nadal will lose French open until he retires at 31. Who really believes Novak was a serious player the last 2 years in slams?
It may be only 1 1/2 years of stupid slams, but Novak threw away chances despite being a total numbskull and fitness declining disaster. nadal only had to put the racket on the ball for Novak to keel over.
Quality players, but disgusting Novak with his hand claps and nadal's self pity are too disingenuous.
These lower ranked players don't last at the French open or Wimbledon.

There's no need for rafa's over the top apology for chewing the trophy, and excessive praise for a belligerent, in denial careless djoke.

Novak knows his attitude in preparation for Wimbledon was abysmal yet he improves on grass.
playing long matches at Australian open is useless unless he wishes to retire at 28. Wimbledon conditions may be more clear for his breathing and less taxing on the body, but don't try destroying yourself with 4 hour matches, head case djoke.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I can see both Rafa and Nole winning a slam or 2 in their 30´s. No more then that. Rafa RG of course, Nole AO seems the best scenario.

Murray? We just dont know. Fans will believe, haters will say never again. Me , not sure. Right draw, right slam he could win 1.

Rafa is declining, he knows it and said it. He needs to adapt again for this part of his life. Only he knows how much he can do and or want to win.

After Rio 16 hes going to analize how hes feeling, can he win. If he continues to win a slam every year i dont see why he should stop.

Nole its much better phisically but mentally RG has taken a toll. Plus marriage and kids we dont know how this will afect him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts