Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before jumping to defend the Big 3, let's try to get some things straight.

Are we going to look at the number of slams only or we are going to consider different levels of competition and maybe even different levels of play?

If we are going to consider different levels of competition and play, why would we stop at comparing different genders, why not going further with that same approach when we compare the Big 3?

Analyze and discuss.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Black Widow takes three spider males for breakfast lunch and dinner.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
We all know you just want to bait @NADALalot into a misogynistic rant so he gets banned again.

The trap is obvious, but I suppose he will still fall for it. I'll have my popcorn ready.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We all know you just want to bait @NADALalot into a misogynistic rant so he gets banned again.

The trap is obvious, but I suppose he will still fall for it. I'll have my popcorn ready.
In that case move this to where it belongs: the Ruins.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Saving the distances between male and female physical capacities, I think Serena´s style has little to do with any of the big 3, her game is more aimed at controling the point since the serve/ros preferably with sheer power but she still lacks the aggression of Federer, the huge FH from Nadal or the endurance and patience of Djokovic in rallies.
I guess comparing Steffi would be more close to big 3, again saving the big distances.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
not truly comparable, but they are all great champions over a very long time and against many rivals, of course the big three competing against each other on the mens side makes mens tennis more interesting at least to me.

I do enjoy some womens champions in Serena's time and they should not be underestimated, Venus, Clijsters, Davenport, Henin, Sharapova, Wozniacki, Kerber, Halep and so many more and Serena has a top performance legacy of over twenty years: longer than the big three currently. Like I said though different fields of the sport really mens and womens.

Reactions: Triggervic

·
Registered
397 Posts
Generally men are vastly superior to women so it's a moot discussion.

Serena is great for a woman. She'd lose 6-0 6-0 6-0 to every member of the big 3.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I understand the compulsion to compare Serena to the big 3, but it wouldn't be a fair fight.

I do believe Serena has the best serve in tennis history, but she'd win 2 games (max) in each set against the big 3.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's impossible to compare them because one of them has a woman's body, and three of them have men's bodies.

What I think is interesting about the women's game is that it's become less interesting the deeper the competition has become. There are so many Eastern European players, I struggle to separate one from another. Whereas around the turn of the century when there was Serena, Venus, Hingis, Davenport, Seles, Graf, Clijsters, Henin, Capriati, Sanchez-Vicario, Mauresmo, etc, whose careers all pretty much intersected, it was much more interesting, as there were recognisable champions and rivalries.

There is no doubt, in my mind, that men's tennis will go through a similar slump over the next few years when the big three are gone.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Pointing out that Serena would have no chance against male top players isn't really fair, is it? I think everybody should be aware of the basic biological differences between men and women that explain such results.

I don't think you should call it a lack of talent on women's part that they are not as strong and fast as men, generally speaking. Dissing Serena because she wouldn't compete well with the ATP elite is a little bit like arguing Usain Bolt is not much of an athlete. After all, an average Cheetah well passed his (or her) prime would outrun Bolt even when the Jamaican sprinter was at his best. Don't think this would change even if the Cheetah has an off day.;)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I understand the compulsion to compare Serena to the big 3, but it wouldn't be a fair fight.

I do believe Serena has the best serve in tennis history, but she'd win 2 games (max) in each set against the big 3.
Woah - winning games? For real? I am trying to think how Serena could win a single point from any of the big 3 but just can not see it happening. How could she win a point? They have way too much game.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Bo5 slams vs bo3 slams, and there also used to be bo5 for the half of the masters finals and DC, so, not quite comparable circumstances for Goaterer and Goaterena, both born in 1981.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
No chance in tennis for Serena against men. She would however wipe the floor with 80% of the male tour in wrestling, as she's two classes higher than most.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lol Serena only won 23 slams in an era where she didn't have to face off against many legendary players. And the big 3 each had insane competition not just against each other all the time, but also against Murray (until 2016), a healthy Delpo, and a red hot Wawrinka since 2014 to deal with beyond just themselves. Men's tennis is WAY stronger and the top players are much more consistent and harder to beat.

On the women's side, it's the complete opposite. All it takes is for 1 strong player to have a good serve, big strokes, and great consistency to dominate the tour for 10+ years and win the majority of the big tournaments & slams. And Serena happens to be that kind of player who took advantage of an average era. Only now we're seeing some very bright players coming up in the WTA who can seriously challenge the likes of Serena with Osaka, Andreescu, Barty, and Gauff (in a few years time). But up until now the only real challenge was an in-form Sharapova (who did well against everyone else but always struggled vs Serena), Venus in her prime years, a healthy Azarenka, and that's pretty much it. Sometimes Kvitova but she lacks consistency.

But if she plays against any of the big 3, or let alone other top 10 or 20 players - she'd be lucky to win 3 games in a set lol. They'll just blow her off the court with superior serves and deep returns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts