Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not easy to make comparisons between different sports, but we can still compare how good or dominant someone was / is in his respective sport, and we can compare how big someone is in the sport world and among the people worldwide.

Michael Jordan is considered by many to be not only the GOAT basketball player, but the GOAT athlete as well. Do you agree with that and where are the Big 3 comparing to him?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I don't really know anything about basketball but respect the fact that Jordan has legendary status in the US. However I would say that BSKball is big only in a few countries but tennis is global, and so more difficult to reach the top. Also you seem to have to be 6 foot 6 at least to achieve anything in BSKball which seems to rule out a lot of very talented but shorter sportsmen. So Federer > Jordan in other words.

·
justice for all
15,120 Posts
I don't really know anything about basketball but respect the fact that Jordan has legendary status in the US. However I would say that BSKball is big only in a few countries but tennis is global, and so more difficult to reach the top. Also you seem to have to be 6 foot 6 at least to achieve anything in BSKball which seems to rule out a lot of very talented but shorter sportsmen. So Federer > Jordan in other words.
Maybe tennis popularity is distributed more evenly around the world but overall I think basketball is well ahead of tennis in terms of global popularity measured by estimated number of fans.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Djokovic has the potential to be the Michael Jordan of his sport. Nadal to some extent too, but Djokovic is more well-rounded as a player and is more of the complete package.

Federer is more akin to a women's gymnast: was the best early, but got dethroned at the ripe old age of 26 as the best player in the world.

No man can ever be compared to Michael Jordan if they get dethroned like a women's gymnast. Michael Jordan was the best player in the world even in his mid-30s and had no equals.

·
Banned
930 Posts
In terms of financial greatness:

Jordan: 2100 million
Federer: 450+ million
Djokovic: 220 million
Nadal: 200 million

All (former) tennis players wealth:
  1. Ion Tiriac – $2 Billion
  2. Roger Federer – $450 Million
  3. Novak Djokovic – $200 Million
  4. Rafael Nadal – $180 Million
  5. Serena Williams – $180 Million
  6. Andre Agassi – $175 Million
  7. Pete Sampras – $150 Million
  8. Maria Sharapova – $135 Million
  9. Andy Murray – $100 Million
  10. John McEnroe – $100 Million
  11. Venus Williams – $95 Million
  12. Anna Kournikova – $50 Million
  13. Li Na – $50 Million
  14. Björn Borg – $40 Million
  15. Andy Roddick – $30 Million
  16. Agnieszka Radwańska – $25 Million
  17. Billie Jean King – $25 Million
  18. Kei Nishikori $24 Million
  19. Jim Courier – $18 Million
  20. Chris Evert – $16 Million
  21. Ana Ivanovic – $16 Million
  22. David Ferrer – $16 Million
  23. Marat Safin – $15 Million
  24. Martina Navratilova – $15 Million
  25. Victoria Azarenka – $15 Million
  26. Justine Henin – $14 Million

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In terms of financial greatness:

Jordan: 2100 million
Federer: 450+ million
Djokovic: 220 million
Nadal: 200 million

All (former) tennis players wealth:
  1. Ion Tiriac – $2 Billion
  2. Roger Federer – $450 Million
  3. Novak Djokovic – $200 Million
  4. Rafael Nadal – $180 Million
  5. Serena Williams – $180 Million
  6. Andre Agassi – $175 Million
  7. Pete Sampras – $150 Million
  8. Maria Sharapova – $135 Million
  9. Andy Murray – $100 Million
  10. John McEnroe – $100 Million
  11. Venus Williams – $95 Million
  12. Anna Kournikova – $50 Million
  13. Li Na – $50 Million
  14. Björn Borg – $40 Million
  15. Andy Roddick – $30 Million
  16. Agnieszka Radwańska – $25 Million
  17. Billie Jean King – $25 Million
  18. Kei Nishikori $24 Million
  19. Jim Courier – $18 Million
  20. Chris Evert – $16 Million
  21. Ana Ivanovic – $16 Million
  22. David Ferrer – $16 Million
  23. Marat Safin – $15 Million
  24. Martina Navratilova – $15 Million
  25. Victoria Azarenka – $15 Million
  26. Justine Henin – $14 Million
Seems like Tiriac is GOATing.

·
|
14,955 Posts
The fact that there is a Big3 proves that they aren't great, since MJ was peerless and made a fool out of his opponents on the big stage.
He was 6-0 in NBA Finals and never let the series go to a decider.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fact that there is a Big3 proves that they aren't great, since MJ was peerless and made a fool out of his opponents on the big stage.
He was 6-0 in NBA Finals and never let the series go to a decider.
Maybe MJ just dominated the weak era, while the Big 3 are a part of the strongest era (except for 2003-2007 of course).

Reactions: Gambler_3

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Comparing solo game against team...jaja

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Comparing solo game against team...jaja
It doesn't take a blind man to be able to see who the best players are in their given sports. We can judge each player individually, irrespective of their teammates. To give you an example, we know that Anthony Davis is a great player, even though his teammates were complete garbage in New Orleans. Why do we know this? Because his individual achievements speak for themselves.

Had LeBron James been on the worst team in the league, he would still be the best player in the world, even though his teammates would suck.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I don't think it makes sense to compare greatness across such different types of sports, and especially not team sports with individual sports. But I guess we can agree that all four of them are very exceptional sportsmen.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It doesn't take a blind man to be able to see who the best players are in their given sports. We can judge each player individually, irrespective of their teammates. To give you an example, we know that Anthony Davis is a great player, even though his teammates were complete garbage in New Orleans. Why do we know this? Because his individual achievements speak for themselves.

Had LeBron James been on the worst team in the league, he would still be the best player in the world, even though his teammates would suck.
Well, he might still be an exceptional player. He might even be the best, who knows. But he wouldn't win anything notable without a good team and therefore not be considered as one of the greatest sportsmen in history.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Well, he might still be an exceptional player. He might even be the best, who knows. But he wouldn't win anything notable without a good team and therefore not be considered as one of the greatest sportsmen in history.
That is why we do not judge sportsmen based on team results alone. We look at the overall picture - individual achievement. Robert Horry has more championship rings than Michael Jordan, but Robert Horry is not better than Michael Jordan.

Same rules apply for Messi and Ronaldo, and other GOAT contenders in different sports.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is why we do not judge sportsmen based on team results alone. We look at the overall picture - individual achievement. Robert Horry has more championship rings than Michael Jordan, but Robert Horry is not better than Michael Jordan.

Same rules apply for Messi and Ronaldo, and other GOAT contenders in different sports.
Same as the fact that Federer is not better than the Big 2 despite having a little more slams.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Same as the fact that Federer is not better than the Big 2 despite having a little more slams.
Right. To me, Federer of 2003-2007 was like an adult who competed with children, racked up the achievements, and got the title of GOAT. When the boys turned into men, he lost his advantage.

Federer is good against the boys, but not as good against the men.

In a man's sport and in the modern times, I have never seen a GOAT contender, except Federer, have a career that looks like a woman's gymnast.

I think Federer has a nice game, but I cannot consider him in the same league as Djokovic or Nadal.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
In a man's sport and in the modern times, I have never seen a GOAT contender, except Federer, have a career that looks like a woman's gymnast.
Dude, Federer beat Djokovic at the ATP finals last year at the age of 38 years old.

Also, he holds the record for being the oldest ever #1 in tennis history.

And he has won three GS over the age of 35.

That is only like the career of a female gymnast if you are spectacularly stupid.

I think you might just have made the dumbest comment on the entire internet today.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dude, Federer beat Djokovic at the ATP finals last year at the age of 38 years old.
Federer is like the old heavyweight boxer: he still has sting in his shots, because the power is the last to go, and can always get the lucky punch in. It is called a "puncher's chance." Most of the time, this boxer will get humiliated by his better, more skilled opponent. But sometimes, he will get the lucky punch in and at the right spot, against all the odds.

I think this analogy works for Federer, because Federer only beat Djokovic once in 5 years. It is the puncher's chance.

Also, he holds the record for being the oldest ever #1 in tennis history. And he has won three GS over the age of 35.
Federer was never the man to beat or the favourite after 2007. It was always Nadal or Djokovic, especially if everyone was healthy. It would be like saying Scottie Pippen is better than Michael Jordan if Michael Jordan got injured or did not play. Sure, he is better than Michael Jordan if Michael Jordan is compromised, but nobody in their hearts would consider Scottie Pippen better than Michael Jordan.

That is only like the career of a female gymnast if you are spectacularly stupid.
I see a lot of parallels between a woman's gymnast and Federer. Let me explain. A woman's gymnast will usually dominate early, and then get dethroned at a very young age.

But in a man's sport like tennis, or football, or basketball, or any other man's sport, I have never seen - in the modern times - a player dethroned at 26 as the best player in the world. This is why I believe Federer is like a woman's gymnast. If you look at all the other GOAT candidates, they are still the best in their 30s. Federer was the second banana and third wheel since 26.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts