Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gasquet was indeed a very promising youngster and won both FO and USO junior titles so the raw talent was pretty evident.

I remember watching him at Monte Corlo 05 where he defeated Federer and played a great match against Nadal in the semi.

His forehand was much better back then imo. It was flatter and had better penetration which allowed him to play an aggressive gameplan which better suits his physique. He also is good at the net.

For there how did he end up being the defensive pusher with a flashy backhand that he is today? And also how did his forehand become such a useless moonballing shot?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
good question. Wish I knew. This case might be similar to that of Andy Roddick, who also started pushing his forehand more and more further in his career. With him it was a choice: cut down on UE's at the expense of a risky FH. Maybe with Gasquet it's the same?

Either way, both players have turned into defensive pushers at one point in their career. I find the Gasquet case to be way more offensive, because of his talent. (also, standing about 4m behind the baseline on average is pathetic)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good question. Wish I knew. This case might be similar to that of Andy Roddick, who also started pushing his forehand more and more further in his career. With him it was a choice: cut down on UE's at the expense of a risky FH. Maybe with Gasquet it's the same?

Either way, both players have turned into defensive pushers at one point in their career. I find the Gasquet case to be way more offensive, because of his talent. (also, standing about 4m behind the baseline on average is pathetic)
Although Roddick did push in his later years his technique did not change. Atleast his forehand didn't 'look' much different. Compare 2005 Gasquet to the shitty moonball like forehand he's been playing in recent years. Imo its the main reason he couldn't justify his talent.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Although Roddick did push in his later years his technique did not change. Atleast his forehand didn't 'look' much different. Compare 2005 Gasquet to the shitty moonball like forehand he's been playing in recent years. Imo its the main reason he couldn't justify his talent.
oh absolutely agree with this. I do feel that Roddick, too, made some technical adjustments. i can't really back it up with any technical talk, but he just seemed unable to blast the ball the way he used to, even with simple sitters.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
As a junior hitting his flat forehand won him points out right, just like hitting his huge backhand, so he never needed the anticipation or quick recovery after the shot in order to be set up for his opponents return. Once he got to the highest level of pro's he found out that when he tried to hit that flat forehand someone like Federer could get to it and hit it just as hard back into the other corner and he wouldn't get anywhere close to it. He added more spin to give himself enough time to get back to the middle of the court and give himself a chance to get to the ball when his opponent picks corners.

It's a basic principle in tennis, the harder you hit the ball, the faster you need to be, and Gasquet wasn't fast enough for the forehand he hit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts